• This topic has 36 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by LS.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Wggins reckons he can do 55km for the hour…
  • wanmankylung
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/32610892

Good luck to him, bit he’s making a rod for his own back coming out with stuff like that.

andylc
    Free Member

I do like Wiggo but now I kind of want him to fail…

butcher

It’s nothing new is it. Wasn’t he going to win Paris-Roubaix, and the Giro, etc, etc.

To be fair though, I was just reading it and his words are taken out of context a bit. He said he’d like to do 55. Doesn’t necesarily say he can.

colournoise

Given it’s a time trial, and he tends to be quite good at those, I reckon he might get pretty close to 55.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Time trial, on the track, if anyone can do it then it’s Wiggins.

Though that statement does remind me of the chap on here who said he “aimed to average 20mph” on his rides then got pilloried when his Strava showed most of his rides to be under 20mph!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohh for once I believe the hype. The Guy knows a bit about chucking a bike long distance around the boards and honed the TT position perfectly.

If anyone can, Brad can.

However I have to say Alex will chase him down, and quite right to. He posted a perfect Hour record… Long may this chase continue..

😀

simondbarnes

I’ll be interested in the hour record again once people start challenging the distances set by Rominger & Boardman.

stevied
    Free Member

Pah, mtbel could do that on his DH bike, probably..

vinnyeh

Pah, mtbel could do that on his DH bike, probably..

But he’d still be overtaken by glupton wanmankylung on his rigid single speed downhill at Glentress.

jonba
    Free Member

It’s nothing new is it. Wasn’t he going to win Paris-Roubaix, and the Giro, etc, etc.

This is different though. It is a race of truth. He can control all the variables and can figure out his form in advance as it is “just” holding a power output for 1 hour. He has had a little success on the boards and against the clock in the past.

mrhoppy

Does he get to pause the clock to pick up his bike when he throws it away in a strop again?

Spin
    Free Member

I hope he smashes it. It’s exactly his kind of thing and he knows how to prepare for a one off better than anyone.

steve_b77
    Free Member

To be fair, he’s not the only one who’s mentioned that kind of distance. A whole host of others have too.

brakes
    Free Member

I hope he gets 56.4km

bigsurfer
    Free Member

Does anybody know if it is televised.

njee20
    Free Member

I’ll be interested in the hour record again once people start challenging the distances set by Rominger & Boardman.

But that was more about the equipment than the rider (awesome as they both were).

I’d like to see a “Sporting” record (as this is) and a “no technological holds barred” record myself, although you’d probably then get faired recumbents and all sorts.

bikebouy
    Free Member

On TV ?

I expect either ITV4 or Eurosport surely..

steffy
    Free Member

He’ll probably break it, but Cancellara and Martin will be capable of matching/beating him, so doubt any record would stand for 20 years – very few World Records do

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Given his background, the people around him and where the record is now I reckon he has a chance.

It’s nice to have some people who can be confident in their own ability.

freeagent
    Free Member

I hope so.. mostly because I’ve got a ticket to go and watch him try.

As others have said – if anyone can do it, Wiggins probably could, and this is a good time for him to try, as he makes the transition from roadie back to the track.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Steffy

You cant just take a fast time trialist and make him fast on the boards over night and for that reason alone wiggo on his day has the most chance of setting a record that will stand for some time over the others you have listed who by their own admission lack on the experiance on the boards both mentally and physically that wiggo has.

theotherjonv

Not sure about 55km, but if he is on form and peaking properly, i can’t see any reason on earth why he won’t smash the record.

He’s one of the best time triallers around today, maybe in history (although how you tell that given equipment advances, it’s difficult to quantify*). He’s got a proven heritage on the boards. Given Voigt, Brandle, Dennis and Dowsett have all added another 1/2k each time, and with the utmost respect to them they aren’t really the same league as Wiggins when it comes to TT, fine riders as they all undoubtedly are, I reckon at least another 1/2 on top of Dowsett, wouldn’t be surprised to see another km which puts him around 54, and from there – 55, well why not?

* although making them race round a fixed oval on a bike that’s basically the same design and technology as the ones used in the past goes some way to regularising it.

Rik
    Free Member

But that was more about the equipment than the rider (awesome as they both were).
    I’d like to see a “Sporting” record (as this is) and a “no technological holds barred” record myself, although you’d probably then get faired recumbents and all sorts.

You do realise that Tony Rominger did 55km in the hour on a steel colnago in 1994!!!

nickjb
    Free Member

But that was more about the equipment than the rider

Rominger’s bike doesn’t look that special. What am I missing?

http://www.wolfgang-menn.de/rominger.htm

aracer
    Free Member

For me the previous benchmark was Boardman ’93, the last record set under the old rules without pharmacological assistance or using a position which is now outlawed for all competition. We’re already past that now.

Dowsett might have more in the tank, but he won’t get near if Wiggins does what he’s capable of – has supposedly been doing 20 minute blocks at 55km/h, which suggests 55 is feasible.

fasthaggis

Do you think they will have a big screen outside the Velodrome?

I am in North London that weekend and was going to have a look round the park anyway.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

What am I missing?

PEDs probably. Coached by Dr Ferrari for his hour attempt.

aracer
    Free Member

Here’s an article written by his coach http://www.53×12.com/do/show?page=article&id=31

You shouldn’t need to read beyond the name of the author to work out what his special equipment was.

bigblackheinoustoe
    Free Member

Wiggins?! huh… I’m backing this guy y’all..

Boo-ya

Kryton57

I’ve gone off Wiggo. He never used to brag of his abilities, he just turned up and won (relatively speaking). Now he’s publicly stating a winning brief – and losing.

He just sounds like he’s withdrawn right up his own arse TBH. I’d like to see him do it, but hey.

brakes
    Free Member

you need to be careful as he’s been misquoted in the past, particularly around his Paris-Roubaix aims/ goals.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Here’s an article written by his coach http://www.53×12.com/do/show?page=article&id=31

Good article that actually. Interesting points about why heavier riders are at a disadvantage despite having more power.

And Indurain… 509 watts for an hour 😯

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradley_Wiggins#Major_results
    yep he’s crap….

Considering he is going for Rio and track gold he’s on track to be able to do it.

mikey74
    Free Member

The actual quote:

“I’ve got 55km in my head and I believe that’s realistic,” said the seven-time Olympic medallist. “And I think if I do that it will stand for 20 years.”

Quite a bit different to bragging about it. Not sure about the 20 years bit, though.

njee20
    Free Member

And Indurain… 509 watts for an hour

I don’t wish to derail the thread, but has he been proven to be clean? Given the era in which he was dominant… I know there are all sorts of rather freakish test results and genetics at play, but still…?

I genuinely don’t know – a quick Google gave this.

Asked about the World Anti-Doping Agency’s description of disgraced Tour de France champion Lance Armstrong as benefiting from “the most effective doping program in history,” Vayer responded, “With his record average of 438 watts on the 2001 Tour, ‘The Boss’ only manages sixth place in our palmarès. He looks almost like a bit-part player next to ‘king’ Miguel Indurain, who has five Tours to his credit. The Spaniard seems unlikely to be dethroned thanks to his average of 455 watts in the 1995 edition

mrblobby
    Free Member

Regardless, it’s a bloody impressive and mind boggling figure. Rominger, who I’d assume was doped to the gills, only manages a measly 413 🙂 (… actually probably more during his record attempt as that effort is slower, but still not 500+.)

“I’ve got 55km in my head and I believe that’s realistic,” said the seven-time Olympic medallist. “And I think if I do that it will stand for 20 years.”

The 20 years thing is interesting given that it’s very quantifiable. It’s reasonably easy to work out how many watts for how long given a specific profile (aero drag, weight, etc.) It’s something that’s relatively straightforward to target I’d have thought.

LS
    Free Member

It’s worth remembering that Indurain was/is HUGE in comparison to other riders so put out more power just on that basis. Plus, that 509W figure was derived from estimating his frontal area and working backwards so it’s not going to be all that accurate.

Clean or not? No idea. But his hour ride was impressive as by then his team had messed with his position so much he was as aero as a brick wall. Look at his early-90s position in comparison, much closer to what we see as optimised today.
    Rominger’s record is only out due to the mismatch in wheel sizes.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Wggins reckons he can do 55km for the hour…’ is closed to new replies.