Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Weymouth
  • mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve got a construction project I’m overseeing in Weymouth for the next few months and I was wondering if there was any good riding nearby.

My route there takes me down the M3 > M27 > A31 > A35 etc and would like to maybe take the opportunity to get some riding in on the way back from site meetings.

I know that I go past Swinley, but I’ve been there many times and fancy something new and nearer to the Weymouth area.

In terms of riding style, I tend to prefer dh, but I do also fancy some xc to stretch my legs.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

My old stamping ground, mikey. There’s loads of traditional XC stuff – just have a squint at an OS map and you’ll see a whole tangle of bridleways that give loads of options for you. Along the Ridgeway (not the famous one!) between Dorchester and Weymouth, you’ve got lots of scenic riding and Hardy Monument always used to have some good tracks around it. You’ve also got Puddletown Forest nearby, though you’d have to check it’s still riding in there. Portland’s worth a look too, and there are good connecting cycle paths in the area in general.

This was a couple of summers ago, just to whet your appetite – looking down to the bay with Portland in the background…

Enjoy! Drop me a line if you need any more info.

mikey74
    Free Member

Thanks for the info GTTH. I’ll have a look at a OSMap.

It does appear that there is still riding in Puddletown Forest so may give that a look too.

sslowpace
    Free Member

I’m in Weymouth! Well, not at the mo’ as I’m at work.

As gonetothehills has said, lots of great riding, especially xc. Puddletown forest is pretty ok for a bit of xc dh.

You haven’t got anything to do with the current road changes going on for the Olympic’s? Ruddy awful. If not, welcome!!

mikey74
    Free Member

Hahaha no. Just a domestic extension/adaptation for a disabled client.

Puddletown Forest is just next to my route too, so pretty convenient.

Looks like I need to get myself an OS Map.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Its good above Swanage/down to Old harrys rock.Corfe Castle.All over the Purbecks.Worth an hour or two around Wareham Forest.By the coast at Kimmeridge way/chapmans pool.

takisawa2

I like Weymouth. Must organise a hol down that way again. Lovely part of the world.

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

I’m a regular at Puddletown so if you want to drop me an email (in profile) I am happy to give you a tour!

Puddletown has some great little DH runs through the forset and some new stuff is being built that looks great.

gusamc
    Free Member

if you get a bright sunny evening do a loop of Portland (round the edge – up hill path direct S Portland castle, past prison, clockwise), not the most technical ride but the scenery was awesome… and you can detour into the sculpture park/quarry (Tout), did it with the bird on brilliant sunny day – we loved it, can then follow cycle track back into Weymouth centre (or go coffpath expooring) and have a beer at the harbour, also jolly pleasant,

mikey74
    Free Member

Cheers folks, I will do a little research and come back to you if I have any questions.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

If anyone on here does (want to) organise a ride, i’d like to join in – i’m in Yeovil but often go down to Puddletown/Wareham, etc. Still not done Portland yet. Just send me an email…

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

dave, im in Yeovil too, ping me an email (email in profile) and you are more than welcome to join us.

bodi01
    Free Member

Alright mate. I live on portland and ride puddletown a lot. Some of the tracks there are amazing, berms huge doubles etc and portland makes a nice change too. If anyone wants to hook up a ride in either area drop me a e-mail (should be in profile) cheers guys.

mikey74
    Free Member

cheers bodi: I think the next time I am down there is April 6th, so will probably check out Puddletown then.

Are the trails fairly easy to find?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Weymouth’ is closed to new replies.