Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • We've gone and bought a caravan, but don't worry…
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

Small tool set – stuff you would never take camping (hammer, pliers, saw, tape measure, screw driver plus nails and screws etc), the amount of times I think I’ll just do a little job and there is nothing to fix things with (I have learnt and take tool kit with me).

I get the pliers and screwdriver but I really can’t see me doing anything with nails, screws, a hammer & a saw on a brand new caravan

robbie
    Free Member

Gary M
    Ive been thinking about doing something similar in that area.
    Out of interest what does the site cost per year? You can pm if you want.
    Cheers

Trekster

I had this on my old ‘van http://www.amazon.co.uk/AL-KO-2004-3004-Safety-Device/dp/B001GYVFPS/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&qid=1444074637&sr=8-23&keywords=tow+hitch+locks

Current ‘van has http://www.amazon.co.uk/Saracen-Hitch-Lock-AL-KO-purpleline/dp/B002EDGNLQ/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1444074885&sr=8-19&keywords=tow+hitch+locks
    Some insurance companies like a ground anchor, check if site allow that or can help provide it.
    From above suggestions I would adopt the wheel support/locks. Saves tyres and may stop van overturning in high winds although Kipford is probably pretty well sheltered.
    Put blocks as high as possible on f/r stabilisers.
    Shower, we don’t use ours, always find a site with good shower block as I’m sure Kipford will have. Basically it is too cramped and by not using it I reckon we cut down on any dampness problems/issues.
    I would get a medium sized awning which is easy to put up and take down, have seen too many damaged permanently erected awnings. I have 3, large, medium and small and the large has rarely been used. If it rains large ones tend to trap water in the corners. Having said that I spotted a better designed version the other week. I have a 6 berth Bailey btw.
    When you leave the van set your cushions on end to allow air to circulate around/through everything.
    Being a Dumfries resident Dalbeattie is obviously one of my local trails. 😆

geoffj

We have a seasonal pitch at Glenmore (Cairngorms) which cost us £1,800 this year from 1st April to 31st October. Its not cheap, but worth every penny.

Weirdly, it was a flyer for seasonal pitches at Kippford that made me look into it at Glenmore – we’re on our 3rd year now and I can’t see us not doing it for the next few years.

sweepy
    Free Member

Best change we made to our caravan was to switch to propane, sod all difference in summer but still works through the winter.
    Thinking of getting a solar panel once i’m sure it will have the power to run what I need, i’m fed up paying tree fiddy for a hook up and probably using about fourpence worth of leccy. Theres some nice sites with no power too.

Trekster

http://www.kippfordholidaypark.co.uk

robbie – Member
    Gary M
    Cheers

Gary_M
    Free Member

It’s £2010 for the full year Robbie for the pitch with waste and water plumbed in and you can use the site year round.

We’ve gone for propane as that’s what the sales guy recommended.

We have a seasonal pitch at Glenmore (Cairngorms) which cost us £1,800 this year from 1st April to 31st October. Its not cheap, but worth every penny.

Our neighbours have a caravan there on a seasonal pitch, they love it. Bit too far away for us I think plus we want year round use.

squirrelking
    Free Member

On leisure batteries –

If you have a mover it won’t work without one.
    If the power goes down, you’ll have none without one.

Awnings are a PITA to put up whatever kind you get but are worth it once they are up as they double the usable space (temperature dependant).

Showers fine in my folks Bailey, proper shower tray and wet walls though as opposed to the older kinds you used to get. It’s a proper walk in with curtain and ventilation.

Make sure the propane works before you go anywhere, first time we took the van the regulator had just been replaced. The new one didn’t work. Yay. Always have a spare bottle, I got one from the tip for nowt. Calor is most convenient.

If you don’t have a level a bottle of water will do to set it by eye. Not sure how folk get those wheel replacements on if the ground isn’t level tbh as the steadys aren’t supposed to hold the whole weight and I’m not sure how you would chock out the braced wheels. If you have an integrated wheel lock (Alco) make sure you get it aligned so that when it’s chocked you can just slam it in rather than having to mess about back and forth or jacking it up and spinning the wheel.

My old man did the whole static thing before. Never again. The word extortion springs to mind. At least tourers can easily pack up and bog off.

Oh and be warned, all the cheap naff electronics inside the van (the extractor fan for instance) will be packed with proprietary parts with prices that would rival a ships chandlers. My old man had to pay out about £160 for a new extractor and skylight after the old one got torn off in storms last year.

djglover
    Free Member

Don’t forget your James Bond videos and Flavia frothy coffee machine.

geoffj

It’s £2010 for the full year Robbie for the pitch with waste and water plumbed in and you can use the site year round.

That is very good value. The Camping in the Forest Sites (e.g. Glenmore) are at the edge of reason with their pricing policy IMHO, but the location just about makes it worthwhile.

Saccades
    Free Member

I get the pliers and screwdriver but I really can’t see me doing anything with nails, screws, a hammer & a saw on a brand new caravan

Aye – wasn’t thinking there, I use a relatives static, it has decking, fence, steps etc – owner is an older lady so I fix everything up when I do the first trip down of the season for her.

Trekster

perchypanther

despite being in a 16th century Scottish castle.

http://www.hoddomcastle.co.uk/

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘We've gone and bought a caravan, but don't worry…’ is closed to new replies.