Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Wet weather
  • truth1
    Free Member

Hi after coming off my bike the other night in the wet could someone please advise some good wet weather tyres for a mountain bike?

akira

Firstly what tyre do you currently have and what pressure was it pumped up to?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

on or off road?
    mud or rock?

more info required mate.

darthshearer
    Free Member

If you were on road with high pressure on the MTB then you will come off more than stay on. Especially in built up areas where oil & fuel and general sh!te is on the roads

truth1
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the lack of info I currently I’ve got schwalbe marathon plus tour and they were pumped up to 65psi. 90% of the time I’m on the roads using it for work

truth1
    Free Member

What pressure do you recommend and do you also recommend better more grippy tyres?

munrobiker
    Free Member

More tread does not necessarily make you safer on the road- if you think about a road tyre, like yours, on the road there’s a lot of rubber in contact with the road. If you think about a big knobbly mountain bike tyre then the tips of the knobbles will be in contact with the tarmac, which is much less rubber and so much less grip.

Off road a mud tyre, like a Specialized Storm, would work, but on road they will be more of a liability.The tyres you have already are probably the best for the job you are doing and the pressure sounds OK too. I think you just need to be a bit more careful if you’re not that confident about bike handling in the wet.

truth1
    Free Member

Thanks for your reply. I only got these tyres in the summer as I was fed up with punctures and they have been great for that but since the weather has turned wet I have felt them slipping. I have been doing the same ride to work for over 10 years through all seasons so I don’t think it’s a confidence issue (although the drives on that particular road are getting more reckless every day!). I was just wondering if there were better tyres for the job.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Wet weather’ is closed to new replies.