Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • "Wet Streets Cause Rain"
  • wwaswas

I like that this phrase exists but more so that the whole ‘completely believing journalism you know nothing about even though it may be no more right than stuff you know is wrong’ has a name.

The Gell-Mann amnesia effect:

D0NK

🙂
    is a bit worrying isn’t it
    (the fact you carry on reading assuming the stuff you don’t know about is accurate)

jamiea
    Free Member

“Wet Streets Cause Rain”

Of course it does. The water on the street evaporates to form clouds which then comes back down as rain. Simples!

Cheers,
    Jamie

brooess
    Free Member

I’ve stopped reading all newspapers (incl broadsheets) on the basis of the number of times I saw bias and misrepresentation. I figured if I can see inaccuracies in the stuff I know about then the other stuff is probably pretty similar…

But then again, my Dad has been telling me not to believe everything I read in the papers for decades now so it’s hardly ground-breaking insight!

People believe things they know to be untrue for their own weird reasons… have you ever tried getting someone to change their view on whether cyclists should pay road tax!

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve stopped reading all newspapers (incl broadsheets) on the basis of the number of times I saw bias and misrepresentation.

Do you still read this forum? 😈

Del

yikes. never thought of it like that.

nickjb
    Free Member

Similar effect on programs like The Gadget Show when you see them reviewing bikes. See also Top Gear.

mrmo
    Free Member

and they expect people to make sensible decisions on Scottish independence or an EU referendum on the basis of media information…

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

and they expect people to make sensible decisions on Scottish independence or an EU referendum on the basis of media information…

cynical version: “they” expect the media to encourage people to make the decision that “they” are backing

40mpg

Similar effect on programs like The Gadget Show when you see them reviewing bikes. See also Top Gear

This +100

Stopped watching Gadget Show after the road-disc-wheel-wrong-way-round debacle, felt I couldn’t take anything they reported remotely seriously. Have done the same with all newspapers and most TV documentaries now too. <old cynic>

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Something on Countryfile had the same effect on me, the presenter being a Walt and the item losing all credibility for the program.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘"Wet Streets Cause Rain"’ is closed to new replies.