Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Wet arses on wooden benches – Oil or Varnish the bench?
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Just finishing some seating for the man cave and need to decide on the finish for the top of a wooden bench / seating box. It will be a series of planks nailed into position.

What is most resilient against the soggy shorts of the wet arses who will be sitting on it?

I was thinking possibly Yacht varnish but I would have to buy that and I have some linseed oil sat in the garage already.

The planks have a nice grain effect so showing / enhancing that would be nice too.

bigh
    Free Member

If it’s staying indoors, consider wax. Linseed oil will take ages to dry if it’s raw. Boiled linseed oil would however be okay

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

T’is boiled linseed oil. I just wasn’t sure how water / dirt proof it would be

nixie

A week ago this was just idle talk as I stole your tools and now you’ve built it 😀

sharkbait
    Free Member

A good varnish will show off the grain nicely – and will be very very resistant to water.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I would use osmo. The external one. Amazing stuff and really easy to get a professional finish. Easy to touch up later too as you can apply on top of the existing.

Stoner
    Free Member

danish oil builds up well and is waterproof/beads water.

willard

Someone let him loose with tools on his own???

WCA, do you still have all your fingers?

drliamski
    Free Member

Oil will be better in the long run as you can top it up as needed without having to sand down again

project
    Free Member

Danish oil, doesnt scratch, like varnish, can apply more as it wears amnd is waterproof and child safe, we used to use it on wooden toys.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

WCA, do you still have all your fingers?

Of course not. Did you really need to ask?

A week ago this was just idle talk as I stole your tools and now you’ve built it

Not quite. One wall finished. Seating finished, well first coat of varnish applied, 2 more tomorrow

Still need to do the second wall and bar / stereo storage

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Oil will be better

Danish oil, doesnt scratch, like varnish, can apply more as it wears amnd is waterproof and child safe

Damn, both posted while I was in the garage applying varnish. Oh well, too late now

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Wet arses on wooden benches – Oil or Varnish the bench?’ is closed to new replies.