Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Westonbirt Arboretum :)
  • Ambrose

Family Ambrose spent the last few days appreciating the architectural wonders and archeology off Bath, wonderful. And today we visited Westonbirt Arboretum. We spent hours there, smiling and laughing like fools- what an absolutely beautiful place it is. The acres stole the show with their wonderful colours but the two millennia old lime really was just a bit special.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Very, very jealous! The acres of Acers are amazing! 😉

Also, not far to the marvellous Vine Tree at Norton. Top nommage spot!

tang
    Free Member

Nice one, as its going to be busy tomorrow! Its on my local loops.

boxfish
    Free Member

Definitely worth going during the week if driving there, as the traffic can get a bit much. Else it’s a nice ride from Bristol when the sun is shining.

stgeorge

I see from OS map there’s a bridleway through the middle. is this passable and if on this do you have to pay?

mrmo
    Free Member

I see from OS map there’s a bridleway through the middle. is this passable and if on this do you have to pay?

I think the charge is for car parking, i have got there early and not paid, i didn’t see anyone to give money to. I guess it is possible that they close the bridleway but i doubt it. It is a fair way from anywhere so vast majority will drive there and they know that.

Last week.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Cracking spot! Reminds me I must go with Molly. 🙂

boxfish
    Free Member

Well, I’m told there is a footpath into the estate from the Leighterton side, which might mean, ahem, that you don’t pass through the main entrance…

5thElefant
    Free Member

There is. A bridleway too. I’ve ridden it 😀

CountZero

I never pay. I park on a little road that joins the main road from the village, and cross over onto a bridle path that comes out by the plant centre and the Silk Wood. There are public rights of way, so you only pay for the car park. Last time I was over there the Autumnwatch crowd were rehearsing for the first show. Beautiful place, Silk Wood is great.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Beautiful place

Just as well it has the parking revenue to help maintain it, eh?

Ambrose

My Friday ‘Random Act of Kindness’ was to give our entry tickets to the first incoming car I met as I left.

stgeorge

Thanks, I’ll check out Bridleways on ride tomorrow.

aracer
    Free Member

Have visited several times, but only ever at night, which I guess isn’t the best way to appreciate it (nice enough then though).

Hohum
    Free Member

mrmo – Member
    I think the charge is for car parking, i have got there early and not paid, i didn’t see anyone to give money to. I guess it is possible that they close the bridleway but i doubt it. It is a fair way from anywhere so vast majority will drive there and they know that.

Last week.

Lovely pictures of Acers in their Autumn colours 🙂

I must admit to wondering why they have low fences to protect them against something? I have never heard of Acers being attacked by anything 😕

neilnevill
    Free Member

October 2007

beautiful spot isn’t it?

ART

Yes, you can ride through the middle on that bridleway – remember doing so many years ago, nicest part of an otherwise churned bridleway ride … tis horsey country! Been a while since we’ve been to Westonbirt, fantastic this time of year and pretty magical at Xmas too 🙂

CountZero

Flashy, I guess you missed the part about public rights of way. It fine if there’s a car full of people to share the cost, but its only me, so I’m not going to pay a large parking fee for a place I can walk through legally for free. Would you expect to pay for taking a bike in? I used to ride over; a thirty mile round trip, plus the six or seven miles I walked around it. I didn’t pay then, and don’t see why I should pay for access to a public space because I drive a car there. Locals don’t pay, are you suggesting that because the walk in and out without paying its threatening the survival of Westonbirt? Don’t be ridiculous, it’s owned by the Forestry Commission, it’s taxpayer supported.
    Anyway, last time I was there:

CountZero

I must admit to wondering why they have low fences to protect them against something? I have never heard of Acers being attacked by anything

Rabbits.

aracer
    Free Member

Flashy, I guess you missed the part about public rights of way. It fine if there’s a car full of people to share the cost, but its only me, so I’m not going to pay a large parking fee for a place I can walk through legally for free. Would you expect to pay for taking a bike in?

Except you pay an entrance fee per person, not per car, so you’d be paying the same as everybody else – if you paid. Yes you can walk through legally for free – if you stick to the PROWs. The minute you step off those you’re trespassing. I’d expect to pay to take a bike in if the charge is for admission rather than for parking – or do you expect to get in everywhere for free if you turn up by bike?

Don’t be ridiculous, it’s owned by the Forestry Commission, it’s taxpayer supported.

Nice to know I’m chipping in for your freeloading.

5thElefant
    Free Member

It is ludicrously expensive. You can get a yearly pass though for something like £40 a couple which is what we used to do.

They light it up in December. Which is nice.

LoCo
    Free Member

It is an excellent place to visit, we go regularly as a mate works at Highgrove just down the road (which is also amazing) there is a footpath that goes into the gardens, however we drive in and are happy to pay for a visit as it really is worth it.

stgeorge

Did the two crossing Bridleways this am, very pretty and well muddy outside arboretum.

On the cost front, we only live 10/15 min drive away, and find £30 for a walk in the woods a bit steep, so only go up there for the winter light show and various concerts. OK if you don’t live near any woods and want to spend all day there as it is beautiful if a bit manicured.

We prefer to walk in any of the local woods and spend the money on a Pub lunch afterwards.

Each to there own I suppose

5thElefant
    Free Member

Yeah, the woods at sheepscombe/cranham/haresfield are all nicer IMO – mainly because they don’t have 2,000 people wandering around them.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Westonbirt Arboretum :)’ is closed to new replies.