Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Western Isles – Island Hopping.
  • richpips
    Free Member

Has anyone done a multi Isle trip on their bikes.

I quite fancy the idea for a jolly this year.

They do an 8 or a 15 day Island Rover.

Would it be a mega rush going for the 8 day option?

I’m thinking Oban, Mull, Uist, Skye, Harris.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

That sounds an awesome plan Rich!

scotroutes

I did a “Barra to the Butt” trip a few years back. Great for cycling. Worth visiting Barra and Eriskay if you are going to do it. Also – the ferry from North Uist to Harris isn’t to be missed so you might want to reconsider that last couple of legs.

http://www.blog.scotroutes.com/p/barra-to-butt.html

I reckon you’d be rushed to take in Mull too. Best saved for another day/week.

http://www.blog.scotroutes.com/2012/07/coasting-around-west-day-1.html

skink2020

Go for it. Done it a half a dozen times.
    Oban to Barra, up through the uists. Harris, get the bus from tarbert to the top of the bitch hill. Butt of Lewis, and then back down. Go to huishnish(sp) on Harris also.

Pickers

It’s a fantastic ride – did this last year over 11 days starting and finishing in Inverness, at a very leisurely pace. Would be not difficult to do it in 8 or 9 days if you’re quicker than me (and you are, trust me)
    And don’t miss Barra or Harris – they’re both great places

richpips
    Free Member

Thanks folks. 🙂

downgrade
    Free Member

I did a wee trip last year, Barra-Uist-Skye then ride back to Fort William, was fantastic (mainly quite lucky with the weather)

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I’d been thinking of something similar, will read up on the blog, scotroutes. Cheers

kennyp
    Free Member

We did Arran, Islay and Colonsay last year. Some biking, lots of whisky. Great fun.

Edric64
    Free Member

I`m planning to do Lejog via Ireland and the Scottish islands in June

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I joined Ton and the Sweary Northerners on an Inner Hebrides tour in September.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/mcandtheswearynorthernersgoislandhopping

ChrisE
    Free Member

Mrs ChrisE did it. She had a fantastic time. Apparently you can leave a car in the Tesco carpark in Oban for free (for a week or two) with no arguments

C

scotroutes

But getting on the train with your bike is part of the adventure!

nbt

Not sure about that but think the car park outside the leisure centre is ok, it’s only a five minute ride away anyway

We’ve been thinking of this kind of thing – Oban to Lochboisdale, all the way up the uists to port of ness then back to tarbert, over to skye, down Ardnamurchan and perhaps nip over to mull for the last leg back to Oban. Two weeks for us, that’s about 300 miles

Try that with a tandem. Then try doing that with your mates *also* on their tandem. If you can do that, can you buy my lottery ticket for me please? 🙂

scotroutes

Remember that there’s also a ferry service running the Mallaig-Lochboisdale route at the moment. It’s only a pilot until April but the expectation is that it will continue running.

ton

think me and the lads are heading up that way again in september, starting from Oban and heading to the islands we did not do in september just gone.

so Moonter and Druidh, if you fancy it…….. 😀

mcmoonter
    Free Member

think me and the lads are heading up that way again in september, starting from Oban and heading to the islands we did not do in september just gone.

so Moonter and Druidh, if you fancy it……..

I’m off to the States in September, hot spring touring and tree hugging.

scotroutes

Could well be up for this. I have some islands on my 2014 bucket list!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Western Isles – Island Hopping.’ is closed to new replies.