Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Westbury White Horse Ride, BH Monday
  • Gilles

Just to clear up things from another thread, there is a ride organised on BH Monday, starting 10am from the top car park near the White Horse in Westbury, Wilsthire. Everybody welcome. See you there if you can make it!

Anna-B
    Free Member

Wow, that sounds like just the kind of thing I’m looking for!
    See you there 🙂

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

i will be there. I will even be able to join in the ride instead of staying in the carpark.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Hoping to make it, if not then Purbecks on Sunday if anyones free.

captain_bastard
    Free Member

child minder booked, and the weather’s looking promising – i’m in

tsr
    Free Member

can I ask – ride length / severity etc???

I don’t want to hold anybody up!

cinnamon_girl

Looking forward to this 😀

tsr – no, it’s me that will hold people up!

tsr
    Free Member

c_girl, you we just a Ti flash past me on the Q hills!!!

Fuzzyfelt
    Free Member

Right on my doorstep but I’m down in Devon, sans bikes, on family duty.
    Was up there on Thursday night for a quick blast. There was some nice slimy Wiltshire mud up there, but with a bit of sunshine over the next couple of days it will be concrete hard again I imagine.

cinnamon_girl

tsr – I think you will find it was Mr Fart on his ti, he’s a demon on the climbs!!

Am looking forward to this ride and seeing the White Horse properly.

heathy
    Free Member

Just aswell i noticed this thread, i will come along too, see you all up there!

leeson
    Free Member

i may come along with no pants on

tsr
    Free Member

Cg – it’s a bit of a disappointment to be honest, it’s concrete!!!

leeson
    Free Member

Cg – it’s a bit of a disappointment to be honest, it’s concrete!!!

they concreted salisbury plain?? shit

may not be coming now.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Where’s the meeting place? Please bear in mind i dont know this area at all, so road number and landmarks please. What time? any idea how long it will take from Poole?
    Is there a food stop or are we packing sarnies?

Thanks, Rusty

heathy
    Free Member

Just been looking at the other thread about where to start from, you could all start from bratton in the pub car park, then we would have a nice big climb up to the top or a cheeky little number i have divised, still with a climb tho!

heathy
    Free Member

I’m not sure what gilles had in mind, but i have a couple of routes from Bratton going up the white horse, 1 goes over to erlestoke and is about 26 miles and the other goes from the white horse to Warminster then through the woods to shearwater[ all forest]and cafe stop, into longleat via a monster drop off heavens gate past the safari park into some quite country lanes, some more sneaky single track more forest then back along dirt tracks to Bratton, about 36/8 miles.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Over 30 miles would be pushing it a bit, especially if its a similar pace to last week with a decent lunch stop. Dont really want to be out that long.

heathy
    Free Member

The Erlestoke ride is about 2 hours and can be finished off with a nice lunch!!

cinnamon_girl

leeson – please wear your pants cos there will be ladies present:D

I’m bringing my usual picnic and I don’t know the area either rusty but it’s such fun exploring these new trails! Definitely not up to 36/38 miles though.

Will pack a map and gps just in case 🙂

Andy

Probably not going to make this as stuck with familly tonight 🙁

(unless by some miracle I wake up at 6am….)

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Can we have a final definitive statement on where we are meeting at 10am please.

oldfart

Awww shucks CG you say the nicest things!!

RichPenny
    Free Member

26 miles in 2 hours doesn’t really tally with my experience of group rides. I think we took about 6 to get that far in the Purbecks! Remember, eating is important to some of us….

Rusty/WCA, I think the link to the car park map is in the other thread, but Westbury is on the A350. The car park is up at the top of the hill Directly above the White Horse I think.

gusamc
    Free Member

I’d agree with RichP, infact 13mph is faster than I ever go…….

Is there likely to be a codgers group and is the route figure of 8 etc (ie to allow people who want to drop out the ability to cut it short if it takes longer than anticipated)

Gilles

Hi,

glad more people are coming ! From the previous thread, we agree at 10:00 am at the top car park:
    ST 899 513
    I was planning a figure of 8 shape loop, down through the White horse path then join Edington (or push up to Erlestoke but I don’t know well over there), go back to the top for a few briddleways then hit back the car park if people want to stop (probably 20k by now?). For people wishing to carry on, we will do the other side, toward Warminster, but didn’t plan to go as far as longleat. Heathy, I think you were in touch with me in the past, with more local knowdledge, we can do something sweet hopefully. Cheers

heathy
    Free Member

Gilles. Yes mate i did speak to you before but lost yours and loads of other peoples numbers when i upgraded my phone. I will get it again tomorrow. Longleat is probably a bit far then, but makes a craking ride! We can easily make a sweet figure of eight and have a choice of 3 different food/pub stops if required. I will be riding up the hill from Bratton to the car park at the white horse for about 9 30 ish to meet you guys,so see you all there.
    p.s if your looking for the white horse car park, you need to first get into westbury then find the B3098 sign posted Bratton,Devizes. Then when you are on this road look for a road Newtown, this is also sign posted white horse, i think one of those brown tourist type signs. This road takes you all the way up to the car park, turn left at the top!!

Andy

Grrrr looks like I am stuck at my mums for the night, cant even get a mobile signal 🙄

S’notfair I wanna come out and play! 😥

Anna-B
    Free Member

cant even get a mobile signal

Kinda nice to know there’s some places left in the UK that don’t! At least Andy, if there’s no signal, they can’t watch you…

There’ll be other rides in, you know, 6 to 10 months or something 😉

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Can’t you do this next weekend, when me and HackneyMincer can come?

Anna-B
    Free Member

We’ll just organise another! Same time same place, might just be you and him though.

cinnamon_girl

Fred – have emailed you.

captain_bastard
    Free Member

it was really nice to meet you all

World class accident – you don’t have to live up to your forum name, better to save that drop for another day. just heard you are organising the big bike bash – you could of mentioned it ;o) (will try and come along)

Letch – Giles (and anyone else local) up for post work evening rides up on the plain or over Cheddar way – can sometimes squeeze in a Sunday ride as well

rusty trowel – up for a mid week ride around the purbecks – i’ll let you know when i get a free tues/weds soon

Cheers everyone!

knottie8
    Free Member

Got any pics ?

Fuzzyfelt
    Free Member

Captain, you in SPAM? Whereabaouts did you get to today then?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Nice to meet you all. The ones who wanted a look around Lordswood, email me (address on http://www.bigbikebash.co.uk/) and we can arrange a date. Saturdays and Sundays are fine, so is every other day until I get a job. Promise not to mention the Big Bike Bash! D’oh, I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it.

I feel utterly compromised by failing to ride down the slope. I have not done stuff before because I have bottled it but this time I just couldn’t afford the possible consequences. I reckon if I had come off I would have lost a bit of skin and maybe broken a couple of ribs or an arm.

I don’t think I would have fallen off so was willing to risk it until I imagined turning up to a job interview with half my face missing and my arm in a cast. I am really disappointed in myself for not saying ‘f*ck the future, lets do it’ which is what I normally say before visiting A&E.

As I promised, when I get the job I will stick a sensible front wheel on the bike and ride the slope. I will make sure there are people top and bottom to film it then maybe this feeling of shame will be lifted.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Shame I didn’t see this! Although it isn’t really, as I was busy out on the Solent in a nice yacht all day! 8)

Surely another SummerSalisburyPlainPubCrawlRide is in order? Lunch at the Swan in Enford maybe?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

CFH – there was talk of a sneak preview BBB ride coming up. Cinnamon Girl is the one to watch.

Anna-B
    Free Member

Great to meet some new folk, and see others again. Thanks to Heathy, Captain Smiley and Gilles for the plan and the route. That Erlestoke wood is really very good fun. Thanks to Heathy for suggesting to CG where to go for cake, it was only right and proper that we should accompany her 😉

Mostly I concentrated on keeping up and not falling off on the woods many steepy bits, but here are the photos I did take.

It’s made from concrete!

the group

what would happen….

Sir Steepy Bit Senior seen from the bottom…. WCA really wanted to!

CG was happy! The best bluebell wood i’ve seen

knottie we had a cream tea! poor dear rich thought the jam went on top for some reason. luckily i was there to put him right, and so avoid a life spent at odds with normality….. 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

WCA, thanks for the heads up, will beep an eye on that!

Sir Steepy Bit Senior looks a bit of a doddle….! Nice pics, Anna!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Westbury White Horse Ride, BH Monday’ is closed to new replies.