Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • west sussex
  • jcoop
    Free Member

where in west sussex is good to ride round here, as i have seen to keep away from redlands at the moment?
    looking for DH action fast and tech as poss?

rewski
    Free Member

tilgate, SDW?

East Sussex – Friston Forest
    Kent – PORC

jcoop
    Free Member

havent been to tilgate even though its next door, is it good there?

jcoop
    Free Member

porc is on the cards, but wantsome where to go after work too

nickjb
    Free Member

There’s a new downhill run near Stoughton on lambdown Hill. Looks pretty good. Only rode the bottom of it as I CBA to climb to the top as we were on a long XC ride.

rewski
    Free Member

Not been, try this club muddyarse

Friston is OK if you just want something to session

kudos100
    Free Member

where do you live?

jcoop
    Free Member

horsham direction their is 4 of us that usually go out

kudos100
    Free Member

steyning is great, steep dh and massive jumps and drops. brighton has some good mini dh runs. tilgate is supposed to be good.

the other places I know are a bit further away.

belugabob
    Free Member

Check out the Tilgate DH club site

If you park on Parish Lane – as shown on their site – there’s a big information board that show where each of the DH runs are. There is a membership fee/day ticket scheme in place, but they’re a good bunch of guys who have worked hard to set things up, so deserve their efforts to be respected by having riders pay back into the system.

I’m more of an XC guy myself, and tend to ride the other trails in Tilgate. Check out the Muddy@rse forum for details of those kinds of rides – usually on a Wednesday night.

dans160
    Free Member

Rogate Downhill near Petersfield. Operates a pay and play set-up or you can become a full member.

jcoop
    Free Member

That’s brilliant cheers for the help guys. Will try out tilgate and petersfield.

Paceman
    Free Member

Steyning Woods

Whiteways

Kingley Vale

Tilgate

Stanmer Park

Friston

Try a google for SussexMTB and/or BrightonMTB

VanHalen

looking for DH action fast and tech as poss?

Stanmer Park

?!?!?! really?

maybe the 2 runs next to the ski slope at wild park at a push – stanmer is very XC. even the techy stuff.

didnt the steyning tracks get trashed recently? or have they re-built. tilgate is good for a razz. not sure about taking a big bike though.

flat track at the dyke for the steepest nasty techy track in the south?

m1kea
    Free Member

Check out the Tilgate DH club site

There’s hills in Tilgate? ❓ 😉

I chug through there every now and then on a commute and whilst I reckon you can get some nice singletrack action in there, I guess my definition of a hill for a downhill course is different to others?

jcoop
    Free Member

I have been told it’s pretty good up there and alot of effort is put on, they have dig evenings up there too.

m1kea
    Free Member

I have been told it’s pretty good up there and alot of effort is put on, they have dig evenings up there too

I reckon with some careful planning you could get a cracking enduro XC event course laid out, something like the Dusk 2 Dawn at Thetford.

Compared to what I’d class as a hill, such as the north face of the South Downs, then no it’s not up to much. However if you’re after lots of repeatable jumps and so on to practice at, I’m sure it fits the bill nicely.

Paceman
    Free Member

Stanmer Park is pretty techy singletrack if you know where to look, but I agree it’s not got enough elevation for long downhills.

Lifer
    Free Member

There are some plenty steep bits in Tilgate, length not so much. Haven’t been up there with the new courses yet but think they’re over the other (steeper) side of the hill than the old (unofficial) courses.

m1kea
    Free Member

I have the bike handling skilzz of a housebrick and can’t(won’t) do jumps etc so won’t diss the technical aspects of Tilgate.

However I’m still stumped as to where the hills are? ❓

Having gone for a spin with Timnwild round Steyning on Sunday I’d class the run down off Chanctonbury as a hill.

As dans160 mentions, the forest north of Rogate kind of looks a bit Welsh and the times I’ve driven through there it looks quite good.

Lifer
    Free Member

Re Tilgate – Which side of the motorway are you talking about? There’s the side with the golf course and the fishing lakes which is north of the M23 which has some singletrack, the Parish Lane side has the hill and the DH runs.

timnwild

There’s proper DH jumps in Steyning Woods, plus some right creaky old north shoreish bits as well – don’t know how well they’re maintained, but the hills are very short – seconds rather than minutes.

m1kea
    Free Member

Lifer

If mtb commuting in to work, I typically enter the forest up near the Cowdray and chug down the track to the railway at the far end of of Parish lane. I’ll then wander up through the south side and cross on either of the bridges.

I seem to get lost 🙄 trying to find the western bridge at least once out of every four trips through there 😆

Lifer
    Free Member

Ah I get you, if you have a look at:

Map

There’s the big path in the middle that runs parallel to the railway, this is from the main entrance on parish lane. To the left of that it drops away and gets steeper as it goes towards the pond/lake (bottom left on the map). It’s not a big hill, runs are about 30 seconds, there are some videos on the Ride Tilgate facebook page. Looks pretty good.

winterfold
    Free Member

Jcoop Do you ride rest of n downs/Surrey hills much eg ranmore, and S facing slopes more towards Cranleigh?

If not email me

There is also some downhill on Gibbett Hill nr Haslemere which is not that far for you

m1kea
    Free Member

Lifer
    There’s the big path in the middle that runs parallel to the railway, this is from the main entrance on parish lane. To the left of that it drops away and gets steeper as it goes towards the pond/lake (bottom left on the map). It’s not a big hill, runs are about 30 seconds, there are some videos on the Ride Tilgate facebook page. Looks pretty good.

Got you. I’ve wandered in that bit in the past and there’s a distinct if small ridge in there.

jcoop
    Free Member

((winterfold))
    not been to ranmore yet, got told about that the otherday,
    is the haslemere stuff good, only half hour away for me.

dorkingtrailpixie
    Free Member

Ranmore is good but you’ll need a local to show you where the trails are as they’re not easy to find.
    After all the recent rain I’d give it a miss though – will be like riding on ice at the moment.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘west sussex’ is closed to new replies.