Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • west lothian trails – slammanan railway?
  • Garry_Lager

Looking at sustrans type riding in W lothian – does anyone know if the slammanan railway route is rideable? It’s an old railway out of Bathgate that ends up Aidrie way – marked as a disused rw on OS maps.

Looking on google earth it looks well overgrown, but it’s difficult to be sure.

shandcycles
    Free Member

Some of it was converted to an official cycle path, loads of it now is back to being a railway!
    airdriebathgateraillink

Garry_Lager

Cheers mate, I heard they were re-opening that railway, sounds like it’s all done? The slammanan railway is actually different though, it goes northwards of that one from Bathgate

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=296025&Y=669540&A=Y&Z=120

I was wondering if it was still a path, or just a an outline in some fields.

shandcycles
    Free Member

Some of the Slamannan railway can be seen if you know where to look ( there’s a section about 200m from my house) but there’s not really anything ridable. Most of it has disappeared completely into the fields. You can see the odd little embankment here and there.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=slamannan&aq=&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=18.703427,40.869141&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Slamannan,+Falkirk,+United+Kingdom&ll=55.9464,-3.81865&spn=0.008627,0.019956&t=h&z=16

HeatherBash
    Free Member

The spur just North of Muiravonside CP’s main entrance is largely rideable between Tarduf and Almond (took the mined coal to the barges on the Union Canal – the dock they used to load them at is still there)and the stretch South of Candiehead has a very visible looking strip of singletrack running up the middle of it. Cant vouch for where or how easy it is to access but I’d be interested in hearing about this if you try it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘west lothian trails – slammanan railway?’ is closed to new replies.