Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • West London Lonely Bikes Club
  • soundninjauk

I’ve been living in London for quite a few years now, and I’ve managed to scratch the mountain biking itch with trips to Swinley Forest every few weeks, along with the odd larger trip up north. However, one of my riding buddies has moved away, and my road bike rides into the Surrey Hills has demonstrated first hand that there are a lot of people riding there.

My main limitations are that I don’t have a car, and if I did I wouldn’t know where to go when I got there. I would say I’m socially fit, but not race fit.

Is there anyone around the Hammersmith/Chiswick/Acton area who wouldn’t mind me tagging along for a ride or two? Failing that, anyone got any bright ideas where I can find some local like minded people?

aP
    Free Member

We rode out to the Surrey Hills from Richmond and back yesterday. CX bikes, but a mtb would do fine. We made it to Peaslake for coffee and cheese straws, out via Stane Street and Mickelham Down, Ranmore, Holmbury Hill, back via Ranmore and Cobham. 100km door to door.
    Might be out next Sunday if interested?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

In Wimbledon – so en route. I tend to avoid the roadie club scene in London as it can be a bit po-faced. Plus MTB’s are like some kind of bastard offspring it would appear in their eyes!

Happy to join up & show/follow..

Andy_B

I’m interested. In Chiswick. Currently unfit and slow.

aP
    Free Member

How about we have a ride out on Sunday? Meet by Richmond Bridge at 9, we can hoover up on the way out along the Hogsmill and shed on the way back. Sociable pace. Tea and cake.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Surrey Hills are rubbish. Stick to Swinley. 😉

aP
    Free Member

That’s ok, you can bring the Tangfastics.

woody71
    Free Member

I’m in Shepherd’s Bush and can be found lapping Richmond park when I have an opportunity (after work or weekends) on an MTB but make trips to exotic places like swinley or the South Downs

Happy to hook up

soundninjauk

The roadie club scene round here mainly seems to me of London Dynamo doing laps of Richmond Park at appreciable fractions of the speed of light. Not quite what I’m after, even on the road bike.

aP thanks very much for the offer, I’m not about this Sunday and I fear that following you for 100km (or thereabouts) on a 150mm full suss would fairly destroy me. Definitely keen to get something together though.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

If you can get out that way then take a look at West Drayton MBC.
    They usually have organised off-road and road rides most weekends and in the summer there’s usually a few rides during the week as well.

aP
    Free Member

No worries. We’ll put a ride together. 🙂

allyharp

Getting the train to Dorking works well for the Surrey Hills. For you the easiest way is probably to cycle over to Clapham Junction, and from there it’s a 35-40 minute train ride.

Once at Dorking you’ve got plenty of choice for 20-40+ mile loops that are mostly offroad, and there’s Gomshall station a little closer to the Peaslake end of the trails if you want to cut things short. Here’s one example from my Strava

soundninjauk

Train to Dorking is looking pretty hopeful, thanks for the route allyharp much appreciated.

I’m not about this weekend but could try and put something together on Saturday 8th for anyone interested. Either sociable ride down south as aP suggested or train to Dorking and Surrey Hills from there?

TiRed

Well we’re a club who’ve been around for a while. Some of us even ride mountain bikes and are made very welcome for it. And we do occasionally frequent the surrey hills of a Saturday and Sunday. You’d be made very welcome.

http://www.twickenhamcc.co.uk/tcc/

jambalaya
    Free Member

Rent a car ? On a quiet Sunday its 50 minutes from Central / SW London to Peaslake and less to Newlands Corner. I used to use ZipCar but they are not cheap.

soundninjauk

I could rent a car for sure, but I think it’s by far and away the most expensive option.

Thanks for the club recommendation TiRed, maybe I’ll come along of an evening and check it out!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘West London Lonely Bikes Club’ is closed to new replies.