Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • We're not racists but…..
  • grum
    Free Member

Is this the most ridiculous example yet of the classic ‘I’m not racist but….’, uttered just before going on to say something blatantly racist?

The largest fan group of Russian champions Zenit St Petersburg has demanded the club refrain from buying black and gay players.

“We’re not racists but we see the absence of black players at Zenit as an important tradition,” Zenit fan club Landscrona said in a letter, called the “Selection 12 manifesto”, posted on its website on Monday.

http://m.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/dec/17/zenit-st-petersburg-fan-group

Pigface
    Free Member

Russians are weird Fact 😉

headfirst
    Free Member

I’m not being racist but…Russian football fans do seem to be some of the most racist d1ckheads about

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

It’s the clubs money and their choice, like it or not. Are you suggesting they ship in a “token” to keep the rest of the world happy.? I don’t agree with their policy and I am not a racist but…

Solo
    Free Member

Having obsessive, rascism police, on this forum is Russians are weird Fact

patriotpro
    Free Member

There are racists in Russia?

glupton1976
    Free Member

Seems fine to me. It’s there team and their money. I dare say that south american teams have the same policy for ginger scots.

druidh
    Free Member

If this was about maintaining a link between the local community and the football team then they would have my sympathy.

Junkyard
    Free Member

who knew how easy it was to out the obvious trolls 😕

mikey74
    Free Member

Is this any worse than Catalan teams refusing to allow non-Catalan players to play for them?

Note: I’m not sure if any teams practice this policy still.

druidh
    Free Member

I’m assuming there are black Catalans just as there are black Scots and English.

They also expressed their opposition to having “sexual minorities” in the team.

🙄

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes but is that any worse than what ever glib comparison I choose to make ?

loum
    Free Member

I reckon you’re thinking of the Basque teams rather than the Catalans. Barca have the best players from the world over. Bilbao, I think, only have Basque players.

yorkshire cricket had a similar policy for a long time

druidh
    Free Member

Basque/Catalan – they’re all the same, eh!

mikey74
    Free Member

Sorry, yes: Basque teams 😳

convert

I rather liked Yorkshire’s old rule for the Cricket team about only being able to represent the county if you were born in the county. This is just crap though – if they had just put the region bit then fine, the colour specific bit is just racist. And the homophobic bit…..

I have dealt with (rich) Russians through work and the only nationality that have been more offensive with racist comments were the Kazakh’s I’ve met. And yes, I appreciate the irony of my comment!

seba560
    Free Member

Sorry, yes: Basque teams

Fernando Amorebieta

mikey74
    Free Member

Apologies, again: I hadn’t read the whole thing (bloody work, ya know). This is nothing like the Basque, thing. I can’t condone that policy whatsoever, although I am not surprised.

Junkyard
    Free Member

seba his mum and dad are both basques so I assume they and he consider himself to be a basque as well as the club.

Not sure on the last point tbh

edlong
    Free Member

yorkshire cricket had a similar policy for a long time

Rather a lot of people with skin colours other than white have been born in Yorkshire.

grum
    Free Member

I think it would be good if more British/local players played for British teams, but there’s a crucial difference between that and this surely?

franksinatra

south american teams have the same policy for ginger scots.

I’m not racist but ginger scots are likely to be rubbish at football and easily sunburnt, therefore not suitable for a South American team. 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

but there’s a crucial difference between that and this surely?

What there is a difference between wanting to see a football team at the heart of the local community and being a racist homophobic bigot

Its PC gone mad on here

lardcore
    Free Member

I’m not being racist but…Russian football fans do seem to be some of the most racist d1ckheads about

As opposed to Guardian-reading, monocle wearing intellectuals that are the majority of UK football fans? Surely you jest, comrade.

franksinatra

As opposed to Guardian-reading, monocle wearing intellectuals that are the majority of UK football fans?

Like this gentleman

Junkyard
    Free Member

as a footy fan is safe to say it gets the baser elements of our society but you cannot deny the hard work done to rid racism from our game and from the terraces. A battle as yet not won but compare this to the eastern European approach and attitudes. In italy for example the ultra are also linked with right wing groups

We are not perfect but there are efforts to eradicate it

Homophobia is a battle that has not even be started though after Justin fashanau

In 1990, he publicly came out as gay in an interview with the tabloid press, becoming the only prominent player in English football so far to do so. Many former colleagues spoke out in anger against him, stating that gays had no place in a team sport, and his brother John publicly disowned him.[10] Although he claimed that he was generally well accepted by his fellow players, he freely admitted that they would often joke maliciously about his sexual orientation, and he also became the target of constant crowd abuse because of it.

he later committed suicide

lardcore
    Free Member

Indeed, or the misguided son of Luton “Tommy Robinson”.

glupton1976
    Free Member

They also expressed their opposition to having “sexual minorities” in the team.

Sexual minorities? Is that like males in Scotland? Because there’s more women than blokes up here now according to the census. Shame the scenery is lowsy and the access laws are prohibitive.

headfirst
    Free Member

Lardcore, how dare you! I wear contact lenses, not a monocle.

timc
    Free Member

Bit odd though, Witsel is already a Zenit player (cost £30m+) & is of mixed race heritage!?

EDIT: google says his mother if from the Caribbean

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Football has no class and is only followed by people who need to feel that they belong to something.

Used to be a footy fan until I realised it has a fanbase I wouldn’t be associated with.

😛

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I assume when you stopped, that was football ridding itself of the last vestiges of classiness. Seeing as your first point is so, erm, classy.

timc
    Free Member

See how they like scousers now I guess

konabunny
    Free Member

It’s the clubs money and their choice, like it or not. Are you suggesting they ship in a “token” to keep the rest of the world happy.? I don’t agree with their policy and I am not a racist but…

The proposal is not that the club be forced to hire “shipped in” nonwhites for the reason of serving foreigners’ preferences. The proposal is that the club doesn’t hire nonwhites for any reason. You may be surprised to hear that there are non white Russian citizens and nonwhite players in the Russian leagues.

Surely the surprise that there are racist Russians is feigned.

Sexual minorities is a not uncommon term.

Zenit fans have been vocal in criticizing the dodgy St Pete governor. But like Dinamo Zagreb and Red Star Belgrade, it’s the whole reason why footie fans and hooligans have such political sway is because it’s one of the few places where thousands of men can gather in one place in an authoritarian society.

As with all precipitated scandals in Russia, my first question is: who benefits from planting this story?

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘We're not racists but…..’ is closed to new replies.