Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Went to Copenhagen last week and didn't see fat people!
  • flippinheckler
    Free Member

Given the 188% duty on cars and the high tax on junk food and the 10,000,000 bicycles in Denmark it’s not that surprising. They also eat fresh healthy food and there is no pub culture. Came home feeling rather envious of their way of life. Some lessons to be learnt me thinks.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m in London – very very few fat people here too.

Like many major cities, driving is too diffiult so people take public transport with its associated walking at each end.

Jamie
    Free Member

Some lessons to be learnt me thinks.

Like what?

househusband

I noted the same in Norway on holiday last summer..!

righog
    Free Member

Ther’s no pub culture ?

I give you Christmas Beer Day…..

Drac

beiciwr64
    Free Member

You won’t see many in the whole of Scandinavia,it’s too expensive to get fat. 😀
    I work in Norway and a slice of pizza can set you back nearly 6 quid.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

No pub culture maybe but they love a drink. I used to travel to C’hagen a lot on business and it was v common to have beers with any meeting from 4:30 onwards.

Del

really? i’m 30mins north right now, in banjo country admittedly, and the demographic seems pretty similar to the UK. diet appears to have more in common with that of the US than the UK, although i agree that fast food is far less common. at work food seems to be either meat or salad. maybe that’s just where i am.
    copenhagen is flat and i suspect that has more to do with cycle use ( and it’s development through copenhagen’s history ) than anything else.
    in summary i’d say denmark has a great deal in common with the rest of europe…
    🙂

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Lessons like stopping supermarkets selling unhealthy food and taxing fast junk food establishments to the hilt for a start. Make cyclists king of the roads not cars and lorries. No quick fixes but we must change this unhealthy way of life that’s been created in the Uk.

househusband

You won’t see many in the whole of Scandinavia,it’s too expensive to get fat.

Indeed! That and the outdoor culture/lifestyle.

jp-t853

There an awful lot of smokers though

gwaelod
    Free Member

Copenhagenize

http://www.copenhagenize.com/

Copenhagen Cycle Chic
    http://www.copenhagencyclechic.com/

[video]http://vimeo.com/76048709[/video]

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well, I’ll be….

Molgrips is right!

neilco
    Free Member

I live 30k south of Copenhagen. Fat people are not allowed in the city as it looks bad (only skinny girls and impossibly metro guys allowed, like any capital), but we do have a few of them around here. Lots of cycling, lots of running but there is a LOT of drinking and whilst McD’s etc. don’t feature too large, the local diet ain’t the healthiest.

That said, still happy that my misses is a Dane 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Just remember, don’t compare Copenhagen to Hartlepool or whatever your favourite poor town is. It’s a big capital which changes things, like I say. London also has fresh healthy food all around and thin beautiful people – at least the bits you see as a tourist or business person.

aP
    Free Member

There are loads of fat people in London, however if you only go as a tourist or spend all your time in the CBD you won’t see many.
    sounds like rise tinted Oakleys to me.

chickenman

Curiously, I stayed near Copenhagen for a couple of months back in ’81, saw lots of fat people. Put that down to the cakes and puddings (that they do rather well; what was it called Rodgrodmifluj?? haven’t a Scooby how to spell that..)
    Of course they sell all their bacon to Blighty these days…

piemonster

Obesity rate are less than half in Denmark compared to the UK are they not?

While I’m googling, I found this http://www.oecd.org/health/49716427.pdf

Which shows an unexpected trends on the graphs. And I do like a graph.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Granted I only saw a splice of Danish life and the company HQ I visited 45mins out of Copenhagen had a gym, spin class aerobic class, sports massage and drying room and the lucky employees came into work at 6am and went home at 2-3 pm, apart from the scientist whom they locked away

molgrips
    Free Member

I worked with many people who worked 7-3. Also, a lot of places have free membership with a gym around the corner, rather than onsite.

aP, that’s why I qualified my post.

Mikkel
    Free Member

chickenman, its Rødgrød med fløde

billyboy
    Free Member

I went to Norway. The women were attractive. Even the ones who weren’t…were. Came back to the UK………………..

timidwheeler

Single?

chickenman

Ta Mikkel that’s broed..er I mean brill! 🙂

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Yes the women in Copenhagen are stunning, lost count how many times I fell in love, very toned Lycra clad fit women everywhere.

hora
    Free Member

I was in London recently. I struggled to see fatties. Plus alot were well dressed and better looking.

OP go outside and see more life.

br
    Free Member

They also eat fresh healthy food and there is no pub culture.

Based on doing business over there, there might not be a ‘pub’ culture, but boy do they like a drink.

samuri
    Free Member

Whenever I go to London everyone looks skinny, beautiful and cosmopolitan.

Of course, when I get back to a nice place I realise they’re all miserable, rude and dirty.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

OP go outside and see more life.

Bizarre comment I do tend to get out thanks!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

They also eat fresh healthy food and there is no pub culture. Came home feeling rather envious of their way of life. Some lessons to be learnt me thinks.

Except for the chain smoking piss heads in the pubs, did you not find any pubs?

ads678

Fliipinheckler – if you pull your head out of your arse you’ll see loads of different people all over the place and none of them will give a shit who you are!

hora
    Free Member

So why the generalisations?

Its possible to be widely travelled and remain narrow minded 😉

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I’ve not made any claim that drinking doesn’t exist in Denmark, the observations I made was from a 3 day visit and talking to Brits and Danes who live and work in Denmark. Saturday night was culture night also Denmark played Italy the locals were having a good time but they weren’t falling around puking their guts up around the city, reserved happy chilled out people proud of their way of life.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

ads678 your the one with your head up your backside. Pillock

jam-bo

I went to Copenhagen a couple of weeks ago and found plenty of good bars.

Suprised me that some allowed smoking inside too.

ads678

🙄

dryroasted
    Free Member

What are the Danish people like?

cloudnine
    Free Member

What are the Danish people like?

Cross between pork and chicken with a hint of cinnamon.

ninfan
    Free Member

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17444960

Abstract
    There has been a pronounced, distinctive increase of the prevalence of obesity within almost all age groups of the Danish population, during the last 25-30 years. The largest increase has been documented in studies based on objective data from total populations and the latest data show the increase will continue. The Danish studies show heterogeneity in the development of the obesity epidemic. A close association with birth cohorts indicates a need for further aetiological research, not only into behavioural factors, but also into early life factors that may explain some of this developmental pattern.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Went to Copenhagen last week and didn't see fat people!’ is closed to new replies.