Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Went OTB and broke me thumb…
  • desboy3
    Free Member

Had a good couple of runs on the Shredder at Ae last week and then a couple on the Omega man descent. Starting the last run went over the bars and broke me thumb! Orthopedic consultant diagnosed an Avulsion fracture so now I’m stuck with a cast from my elbow down to my hand and over my thumb. Anyone had this before and give a guess as to the healing time? Need to get back on the bike as I’m pedalling in my sleep!

desboy3
    Free Member

Still sore and thought I’d give this a bump just to see,can’t be an uncommon injury!

mtbfix

Remarkable that a broken thumb requires half your arm to be in plaster.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Especially when my fractured arm didn’t require a pot.

It bloody needed one mind, God it hurt!

desboy3
    Free Member

That’s what I thought too mtbfix! Looks a little overkill for a thumb!

Simon

Desboy, which bit is broken? I broke my thumb back in July. Mine’s a Rolando Fracture which required surgery to put it right.
    I ended up in the pot in the pic below after the operation. That stayed on for 3 weeks, then I had a cast put on that immobilised my thumb but left my fingers thumb end and wrist free to move. That’s been on for 4 weeks and will be coming off this week. Then I expect weeks of physio to get my thumb working again. So all in all I’ll have been off the MTB for around 3 months 🙄

Image0116 by SiBooth, on Flickr

And this is what my thumb looked like 3 weeks after surgery…

Image0119 by SiBooth, on Flickr

crikey
    Free Member

It’s to attempt to reduce the movement in your forearm. Avulsion fractures mean that a bit has been ripped off another bit, so the only way they heal without surgery is too try to keep everything as still as possible.

The elbow joint allows a certain amount of rotation which in turn will cause movement in the smaller bones of the wrist and likely in the thumb.

desboy3
    Free Member

Simon my fracture is atthe ulnar base of the proximal phalanx of the thumb. As said by Crikey the ligament has torn off part of the bone from the bone below. Cast comes off next week so I’ll know more then. Hope you’re healing good Simon it’s no fun being off the bike!

Simon

No fun at all! Hope your fixed quicker than me.

gb1m
    Free Member

I really shouldn’t read threads like this , it puts me off

Hope you both heal up soon

Simon

Pot came off today and I’ve got a surprising amount of movement in my thumb.
    I can ride now but I’ve been advised not to fall off. Not to the right anyway 😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Went OTB and broke me thumb…’ is closed to new replies.