Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Welsh XC at Margam Park. To single speed or not ?
  • I’ve ridden Bristol Bike Fest on a single speed and don’t think I would have been any quicker with gears.
    Wiggle 6 at Catton Park had a few more hills and I probably lost a few overall places riding single speed.
    I didn’t even attempt Set2Rise single speed, it’s too hilly for me, so I used the Rohloff.

So, what’s Margam Park like, I’ve never been there ?
    There’s no separate class for single speed, so, unless it’s very fast and flat like Ashton Court, which seems unlikely in Wales, I’m guessing there’s no advantage.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Depends on the course. Potential for lots of hills, possibly steep.

scant
    Free Member

I remember doing a NPS race there in around 89 & suffering like hell in granny ring on 1 climb & I consider myself a climber. so yes as per above, course dependant.

njee20
    Free Member

The NPS there tends to have 1000ft of climbing in 4 miles. It’s the hilliest course I know of, and I’d call Catton flat! I’d take the Rohloff.

xcneil
    Free Member

You ‘ll be wanting gears for Margham lots of climbing, single speed really don’t see the point tried it for a short while to slow 😉

phildowling
    Free Member

Don’t singlespeed the XC race there, you will die….or just end up panting alot! There’s some horrific climbs on the course. Trust me ive tried.

Enduro course is no problem Singlespeed and i actually think its easier on the big drawn out climb on the course.

I found Set2Rise ok on a singlespeed as well if that’s any help.

meddle
    Free Member

Take a gas mask, the stench is horrendous.

OK, thanks, I thought that would be the case. Rohloff it is then, although I still haven’t quite convinced myself that it’s worth driving for 5 hours to race for an hour and a half.

scant
    Free Member

I drove 7hrs in australia once just to watch a race. Chris Kovarik pulling the biggest controlled drifts I’ve ever seen on a bike, awesome 🙂

phildowling
    Free Member

It’s a fun course normally but I’d probably not drive that far for it myself. Marathon yes, XC no.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Welsh XC at Margam Park. To single speed or not ?’ is closed to new replies.