Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Welly boots alternative
  • letmetalktomark

Sooooo what footwear/welly alternatives are there for wet and muddy days perusing National Trust gardens?

The Hunter welly brigade were out in force today and well …… That’s not me.

I’ve GTX Merells for walking the dogs paired with some over trousers but that’s a bit much for an explore in the woods.

Lots of para trooper esque boots out today in Canmbridgeshire.

Vans sadly weren’t really cutting it 😆

All suggestions welcome 8)

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Haix high liability combat boots, available from flea bay for 50 quid ish, goretex lined waterproof in 6 inches of water, take a bit of getting used to but once broken in they are like slippers

TheBrick
    Free Member

Cheap wellies don’t have the rar rar just moved to the country look.

Also rigger boots work in the wet.

submarined
    Free Member

I’ve just bought some insulated wellies from Decathlon.
    I’m easy, way more chuffed with them than a 37 year old man should be with a 14 quid pair of half rubber shoes.

aP
    Free Member

Boggs
    Duck boots
    Or Decathlon.

CountZero

There’s always these: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/solden-extrem-cold-wellies-id_8158304.html
    They can be found for £75, but may need some tracking down, I think they might have been discontinued.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Adidas terrex goretex boots are always good, otherwise the missus wears half welly half neoprene type welly’s for horses

CraigW
    Free Member

Look at Grubs Boots if you want some more comfortable, warmer wellies, that don’t look as posh as Hunters.
    Or Grubs Ptarmigan if you want something that doesn’t look like wellies.

irc

I’ve been pleasantly surprised by these Decathlon boots, bought for dog walking duties. At £35 they were more than I was wanting to spend (just looking for cheap wellies) but were the best fit.

They are very warm and comfortable and good for anything from dog walking to bothy walk ins on paths with mixed mud, snow and ice if the ground is not too steep. The sole is flexible enough for driving in as well.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/sh100mens-warm-high-boots-blk-id_8367617.html

mariner
    Free Member

Derri boots matched with a Donkey Jacket sort of retro chic.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

as posh as Hunters.

There’s a word for that type of phrase.

I never had a problem with these..

Pit wellies, rode motorcycle trials for 15 years using them but alas no longer widely available.

Have a look at some of the stuff that shooters & sea anglers use? I’ve got some Vass Tex like these.. https://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/Vass-Tex-Velcro-fastening-Fishing-boot–Fleece-lined–51.html but I just stand around in them & don’t walk far. Those Grubs ^^^ look good as well.

docgeoffyjones

Got some rigger boots from screw fix for £25 which have been great in the recent snow and mud.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/site-gravel-safety-rigger-boots-tan-size-10/72005

ninfan
    Free Member
    colournoise

Rigger boots +1. Got some from Aldi a while back. Proper job.

Also got some similar to these on the right from Aldi. Look quite – erm – special, but do a brilliant job of keeping my Raynaud’s riddled feet warm and dry.

isto
    Free Member

Sorel Caribou or Pac boots, meant for snow but I find them great for mucky walks with the dog or through National Trust gardens.

angeldust
    Free Member

Bogs are functional without looking like a ‘just moved to the country type and want to fit in’. They will look relatively out of place next to Hunters if that’s what you want.

IHN

Screwfix rigger boots here

maccruiskeen

Riggerboots or if you spot them on ebay for a good price Fire Boots. Gives you a warmer, stiffer, grippier and more stable sole than wellies for rough ground, easier to pop on and off than walking boots so good for short walks from the car or keep by the door for dog walking.

maccruiskeen

Or Grubs Ptarmigan

What are those Grubs like for drying out if they get wet inside (i.e. water in over the top) – I’m fed up with it taking days to dry my goretex walking boots out

wrightyson
    Free Member

chelseas
    Wear mine way too much when trainers or actual shoes would be better suited but so easy to pull on and off and just cover all bases.

nedrapier

I’m in the market for similar.

Cheap wellies don’t have the rar rar just moved to the country look.

I moved to the country 3 years ago, and my £9 from Homebase Dunlops have just given up the ghost. never that great to start with, too stiff in the cuffs, chaffed and rubbed hair off my calves. But they worked, and it seemd a bit silliy to go spending more. They’ve now both got holes where the rubber’s cracked around the break hear the big toe.

will try the screwfix riggers or maybe the skellerups:

http://www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/house-garden/10-best-wellies-wellington-boot-dunlop-aigle-rockfish-a6867546.html

The Aigle’s get a lot of positive reviews, but I’m not sure if I want to look like I’ve just moved to the country. 😉

nedrapier

The Scan Safety Wellingtons, £17, Tradebase might be a good alternative to Essel’s NCBs?

benp1

My walking boots are more of a mountain boot than a light hiking boot so for simple stuff I use wellies, which are great in the mud

I have some muck boots, think mine are the derwent. Had them for over 7 years easily now. They’ll be replaced with another pair when the sole finally wears out of grip, which will be quite soon. In fairness I don’t wear them massively often, as my dog walks are on my bike so the soles of my shoes don’t really get worn out much!

richc
    Free Member

I wear my wellies for several hours every day walking the dog and working outside and I just got some muc boots as they have a decent grippy sole, keep my feet warm, dry pretty quickly when they get wet, grip in the slop and are comfy. Downside is they only last 2 year or so, before they split on my back of my ankle.

Cheap shoes seem like a false economy to me, as wet feet and/or poor fit leads to blisters on ankles/calves which take ages to heal if you walk a lot as the boot will keep rubbing the skin off. Rigger boots are too sloppy for me, and the rigid sole isn’t great for walking, and walking boots are a PITA with the amount of mud and deep puddles where around by me as everything gets clogged up with crap.

My other half has Aigles and they have lasted 6 years with daily use, and only need replacing as they have a cut on the top from something dropping on them.

nedrapier

Richc, I bet you can repair them with a dob of shoe goo or similar?

djambo
    Free Member

Screwfix rigger boots here

I got some of these a few weeks back. Great for keeping by the back door and taking the bins out/gardening/popping down the road to get some eggs/dog walking etc etc. Nice and warm, very easy/quick to slip on/off, water proof. Too early to see if they last but initial impressions are great.

If your NT visits are more walky than a quick bimble around you might be better off with some decent waterproof walking boots though.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I use Muck Boots for work, which are great. Comfy, warm and grippy – bought from the local agricultural merchant which is always a good place to go and check what works in your own brand of local quagmire! If a Cumbrian hill farmer is happy to shell out on something it is going to work 😉

The Sorrel boots mentioned above are pretty good too, mine are a bit more hardcore than the Carribou and I can’t wear them in anything other than deep snow and cold… they are a bit too warm (bought for the arctic circle in winter and don’t see much use in the tropical climate of the Lakes!)

nedrapier

Just gone for a pair of the Skellerups. Hoping they aren’t too warm…

monkeyboyjc

I’ve a pair of neoprene fishing wellies which I use for walking the dogs in winter. Very warm, great grip…. And….
    Less than £20 a pair.
    Almost exactly the same as hunters but a quarter the price.
    You can also get them in variations of style and boots etc.

Good quality fishing footwear is much cheaper than stuff sold to the horse lot….
    link

chestrockwell

Hunters are not posh anymore and last two seconds. As the bloke in the farm services shop said, they’re fashion willies.

Mrs got me some Le Chameau boots after I’d destroyed many pairs of cheap to middling wellies. Can’t fault them, they’re ace.

whitestone
    Free Member

Nokian Trimmi boots. Can fit studs if you need grip on ice.

maccruiskeen

they’re fashion willies.

for the knobs

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Welly boots alternative’ is closed to new replies.