Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Wellgo mags ate my calf.
  • supinerider
    Free Member

I don't fancy seeing 'fatty deposits' again any time soon.

Is it possible to change the pins out for something less lethal? They're 4mm in diameter including thread and around 6mm in length.

jonnych
    Free Member

I wouldn't change them if I were you – Shorter pins = more chance of slipping your foot and mashing up your calfs!

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Photo-or it didn't happen 🙂

supinerider
    Free Member

I think I'll chuck up if I remove the bandage again… so no photos now anyway.

I wasn't thinking of shorter pins, just something more like the ones on Straitlines. The problem with the Wellgo pins is that they get sharpened by every rock you hit and the threads make for a nice cutting edge.

jfeb
    Free Member

They are vicious little blighters aren't they. Just knocking against them while wheeling your bike draws blood. Sounds like you were properly attacked by them 🙁

jahwomble
    Free Member

I've only got stumpy little legs and they always get me just on the tendoney bit below my knee.

scraprider
    Free Member

pics please .

fisha
    Free Member

oi – pics

or we wont believe you.

kimbers

heres a pic

sambob
    Free Member

bloody sharp things are them pins. made 2 decent sized holes in my shin with my wellgos 🙁

jedi

you should never slip off flats if your feet are in the right correct position

Northwind

"Just knocking against them while wheeling your bike draws blood"

That's what always gets me, never happens when I'm riding, it's when I'm pushing the bastard back into the garage it playfully gouges me. It's not a wellgo thing though, grippy pedals like to cause harm.

The ideal here would be stealth rubber pedals and spiky shoes. Well, apart from that you'd get stuck if you ever walked on a wooden floor.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

what shoes do you use?
    I've deliberately sharpened mine with a file to get super grip.

highclimber
    Free Member

Why victimise Wellgo, V8's and Kona Wahwahs are just as deadly!!

rudedog
    Free Member

lol – thats like saying you should never screw up as long as you don't make any mistakes.

Shinpads have helped me since I screwed up and slipped off mine.

jedi

foot positioning is paramount.

yunki
    Free Member

my favourite is the good old fashioned pedal/shin THWACK!!! (with ringing CLAANG!! if on a steel framed bike)

I did this for the first time in a great many years the other week with some clumpy unbranded flat pedals, after a moment of indecision whilst trying to keep up with the bigger boys on bouncy behemoths over the drops….

they were fairly small blunt pins but one of them gave me a nice shin bone revealing split.. and I then had to MTFU for the rest of the ride for some inexplicable male pride reasoning..

snivel.. sniff.. moan.. I really want shinpads for fathers day.

EDIT: at the moment though coincidentally and ironically… intuition tells me that I am getting Wellgo Mags as a fathers day gift..

supinerider
    Free Member

I use 5-10 basics. Here's the embarrassing part: I wasn't on the bike. I slipped off a wet wooden bridge. 😳

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Keep the pedals lose the fat?? 😯

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

That's very easy to say. Very easy indeed. And then you get something wrong, miss a pedal, and OUCH!
    It can happen with SPDs. And they can bring a grown man to tears.

grumm
    Free Member

Definite lack of pics in this thread. 🙂

I saw some 'fatty deposits' in my mate's arm when he gouged it riding down the Bridleway from Whinlatter – not pleasant.

keyses2

PeterPoddy – Member

That's very easy to say. Very easy indeed. And then you get something wrong, miss a pedal, and OUCH!
    It can happen with SPDs. And they can bring a grown man to tears.

But he's right though, they dont slip off if they're in the right place.

br
    Free Member

For me with flats, I always wear pads.

nacho
    Free Member

+1 b r

thomthumb
    Free Member

my leg is covered in cuts; all from pushing off the bike.

op: don't get shorter pins get some shin pads and make sure you drop your heels.

13thfloormonk

Lies! One thing I had drummed into me from day one was foot position, so despite many many other flaws in my riding, I can assure you my foot position is not one of them.

Despite this I have several very impressive scars on my shin which are testimony to the blood lust of DMRs with terror pins. Perhaps Jedi is forgetting that everyone has to learn to bunnyhop at some point, gouging ahoy!

Did a similar thing last weekend when my Burgtec got me in the back of the leg after getting a jump wrong. Was wearing my 661 knee pads, but typically the pedal found the cut out part of the pad right behind the knee!

jedi

footwork is not one and you're slipping pedals during bunnyhop? 🙂

tazzymtb

learn to use proper cyclists pedals with clippy bits rather than big gumpy things with pins in. 😉

warpcow
    Free Member

SPDs took a chunck out of my shin last year. Surpisingly painless (only noticed when my socks had turned red), but looked like someone had taken an ice-cream scoop right down to the bone. Still got a nice indented scar.

tazzymtb

spds also removed lots of knee when my ss chain snapped.

all pedals are bad mmmmmmkay

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Wellgo mags ate my calf.’ is closed to new replies.