Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Well, it seemed a good idea after a few beers
  • scuttler

QOTD:

Hopefully they will have enough sense to stay within the cage. If they don’t? Well who wants to eat stupid prawns?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

QOTD:

Hopefully they will have enough sense to stay within the cage. If they don’t? Well who wants to eat stupid prawns?

Stolen from The Sykes Show about 40 years ago.

Eric and Hattie were in Scotland on a fishing trip. While Eric was using the rod, Hattie used the landing net. Eric said it would be a pretty stupid salmon to swim into the net right at the moment a huge salmon swam into the net.

Hattie then let the salmon go and Eric yelled “Why did you do that?!?” to which Hattie replied “Well, I don’t want to catch a stupid fish”

Must have made an impression on a young WCA

deepreddave
    Free Member

Informative and amusing thread – respect to WCA for effort and ambition as I wouldn’t know where to start and would worry for any fish if I did. An old umpire’s chair would seem ideal for casting into the tanks when you need to catch tea 😉

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Hole dug and tanks positioned

Start filling the bed to check the syphon works

Realise the top bed isn’t quite level. It is now and the syphon does work

Back home for sauna and a glass of wine

Looking good. Any more updates??

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Sorry, not much progress as we had to wait to get the electrics put in properly.

Pea shingle added today.

Currently there are just 4 goldfish in the tanks. The thought being that goldfish are pretty resilient so less likely to die during the set up.

Next, need to find somewhere to buy the fish

Rscott
    Free Member

I have nothing intelligent to add to this thread but you obviously haven’t been to the village fair enough if you think gold fish are resilient.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Well the trial goldfish have all survived.

The water circulation seems reliable.

The plants haven’t died and the trough hasn’t collapsed.

50 Tench*ordered for collection next week.

*Chosen after Googling and these seemed the best compromise between price / ease of maintenance/ quantity of recipes

Excellent to see the progress. Get some maxicrop. It’s an organic liquid kelp feed that will help the plants as the nutrients build up from the fish. is it all smelling sweet? Are the tench fingerings? Please don’t drop 50 full grown tench into that immature filter system. They will overwhelm it’s capacity And die. Ammonia, nitrite and ph tests all looking good?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

2-3 inch long Tench.

The rule of thumb I was given was 1lb of fully grown fish per 10 gallons of water.

We have over 400 gallons so lets call it 40 x 1lb fish. We will probably lose some over time and get bored of waiting and eat some small ones so sticking 50 in now should be okay.

Water all good at the moment. We did get an algae build up in the tanks but pond clear stuff sorted that. I am thinking of sticking a few plants hanging in nets into the tanks to help keep them clean as Tench shouldn’t eat them.

You’ve put a weed killer in a food production system? Algae won’t harm anything. In fact it will probably make the fish feel more comfortable. 1 to 2 inchs will help the systems capacity grow with the fish. I would not eat the fish tho after treating them with an algaecide.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Water is good. Tench are 1-2 inch fingerlings.

I was given 10 gallons per pound of matured fish as a rule of thumb.

We have a bit over 400 gallons of water so can hold 40 1 pounbd fish.

I am guessing we will lose a few and get bored and eat some a bit early so I reckon 50 is about right.

All tips and advice welcome. I am nothing but a happy amateur.

yunki
    Free Member

Tench aren’t the hardiest of fish to try to raise.. They’re pretty susceptible to disease and stress outside of their natural environment

And punkrockdad is a fraud if he’s referring to cornish Bass as Seabass 😉

(what other sort of Bass are there in Cornwall? Seabass is a cookery term, not a fishing term)

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Well I was impressed he could use the word Fingerling without giggling…

Tench don’t seem that bad, better than rainbow trout which was my first choice.

Mind you they say that rainbow trout eat tench so the fingerlings may start as a crop and end up as fish food.

Let’s see what happens

With the Bass / Sea Bass / Cornish Bass debate, I thought they were all just Bass. What gets me is Pan Fried Sea Bass – Is this to distinguish it from deep fat fried sea bass? Not for sale at my local chippy

I missed the l as well so it was even more, Erm, ‘rude’?

Have you raised tench yunki? I’d love to hear your experiences. Not a fish I have first hand knowledge of.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Well I thought they would be in a bigger bag but at least they traveled to their new home safely.

Now they are exploring the new tank. As they are only little they are all in the same tank although it is connected to the other one so they are free to swim between. Will check again this evening to see if any have migrated.

stumpy01

WorldClassAccident – Member

We did get an algae build up in the tanks but pond clear stuff sorted that.

Before we got rid of our pond, we had some of that pond clear stuff that the previous owner had left.
    It explicitly said on it that it wasn’t to be used in tanks/ponds that had fish in that were gonna be eaten.

I take it the stuff you used to get rid of the algae is safe?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Apparently so. Plus look at the fish – it will be a year or two before they are eaten so the algaecide applied a week before the fish were added and run through the filter beds continuously should not present too great a risk I feel.

We are not planning of using it going forward as hopefully the plants I mentioned should help with the control.

woody2000

What was in the IBCs before you re-purposed them WCA? No chance of contamination from them? Great little project BTW, love seeing stuff like this 🙂

All looking good! Anything growing in the beds yet?

matttromans
    Free Member

I have nothing helpful to add, other than to say that this looks brilliant! Carry on!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Fish still alive and vegetables are growing!

marcus7
    Free Member

IBC intermediate bulk carrier, and yes make sure they are clean, we bought some cheap many years ago to store used nitric acid and one still had some cellulose thinners in it…… 😯

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

These had some kind of sugary syrup in them. Cleaned well before we started.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Update!

No dead fish yet and lots of plants growing

Any suggestions of what to plant now as we are clearing some of the old stuff out?

Stevet1
    Free Member

Hows your fish?

fasthaggis

Hows your fish?

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Well, it seemed a good idea after a few beers’ is closed to new replies.