Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Well, I'never seen that happen before… (pads/rotors)
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Just swapping my 29er wheels (XTR hubs, centrelock XTR spider rotors, SLX brakes) into the Gryphon that previously had SSC Tesla hubs, 6 bolt flat steel rotors, BB7 brakes, and the wheels dont go round.

Initially I thought it was the BB7s mounted too low. But no.

It seems the metal “legs” on the bottom of the BB7 pads, catch on the arms of the floating rotor. I’ve never seen that before, it had never occurred to me. The offset of the carrier and the rotor plane.

Otherwise, the rotor braking face is in the right position for the pad face. These are my only “floating” rotors, so this has never happened on any of my other builds, as its the first time Ive paired them with the BB7s.

Do I just cut off the legs? I cant imagine there would be any negative side effects. Are thy just wheel mounting guides?

scotroutes

I’ve been running my BB7-ed Amazon with “cut off legs” for years. Same hubs/rotors.

edhornby

Bend them, don’t cut off otherwise they will be a complete frigging nightmare to remove when worn out

scaredypants

could you bend it outwards or is it too close even for that – shouldn’t be a problem with deformation if you clamp the main pad in a vice; I can’t believe the back plates are very rigid

Otherwide, yeah, I’d cut it off (do you take pliers on a ride ? Might be hard to remove otherwise, though – push from below while tipping the pad inwards would probably work I guess)

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers onion and others.

That seems a sane idea. changing pads is almost always done in a workshop anyway.

scotroutes

If I’m touring I take a set of cut-off pads with me.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cut them off. Come out easily enough with needle nose plyers.

nickc

swap over the rotors? I know it’s a bit of a faff, but cheap (flat) ones can be had for less than a tenner on Ebay

Edit: Ahhh, centrelock, sorry, ignore me

scotroutes

If you wind the piston almost all the way in when removing them they almost fall out anyway.

Yeah, but

X.
    T.
    R.
    😆

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Well, I'never seen that happen before… (pads/rotors)’ is closed to new replies.