Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Well I guess I entered the Glentress Seven again
  • Northwind

Had a total failure of leggyness and manliness last year but unless something unexpected happens, I’ll be back on the fatbike- having a proper XC bike sucks balls, you have no excuses when you suck!

Anyone else?

flashinthepan
    Free Member

No, not me

Your mission is to represent us fat-bikers (and possibly fat bikers) with distinction and honour. Which basically means enjoy it and who gives a stuff where you finish.

lotto
    Free Member

Looks a good event, but is it mainly attended by people who take themselves way too seriously although displaying less than average riding ability? I would like to go with a friend new to biking but constant shouts of ‘racer coming through’ etc may put them off. I enjoy the Puffer. Is the atmosphere more relaxed like that for mere mortals?

jordie
    Free Member

Entered again, I think it’s a pretty relaxed event

mintimperial

I’m having a go, apparently. Likewise, will probably do it on the Krampus to ensure nobody mistakes me for a proper racer.

Looking forward to it! 😀

jonny-m
    Free Member

I’m in for the 4th time now I think.
    It’s a great event. It can be relaxed or you can go for it if you like.
    What usually happens is the xc whippets (like me a bit) race to the top of the hill and then the enduro gang catch up and over take them on the way down, then repeat for 7 hours.
    Hopefully the weather will be good, like most of last years event, apart from the obvious storm for the last half hour.
    Hoping for another top 10 place next year at least…

moonsaballoon

Done the last 3 but unfortunately mums 70th means a no for me next year , gutted really as I love it .
    As someone who is in no way competing for a podium I’ve always found it really friendly , couple of knobs every now and then but overall everyone seems to be having a good time .

tpbiker
    Free Member

I found it really relaxed only time I’ve done it.

Hopefully getting a free entry this year as part of one of the event sponsors teams!

bigjim

Looks a good event, but is it mainly attended by people who take themselves way too seriously although displaying less than average riding ability? I would like to go with a friend new to biking but constant shouts of ‘racer coming through’ etc may put them off. I enjoy the Puffer. Is the atmosphere more relaxed like that for mere mortals?

It’s mostly a fun crowd but they will get passed and people will shout rider coming through etc. As everywhere a small minority are idiots but that’s life.

tourismo

One of the things I like most about the Glentress 7 is the relaxed atmosphere. The singletrack on the first lap can be a little congested but haven’t had a problem passing or being passed by other riders. Definitely recommend it.

Northwind

lotto – Member

Looks a good event, but is it mainly attended by people who take themselves way too seriously although displaying less than average riding ability?

Nah, not at all- lots of people on trailbikes, I’d say most people take it seriously inasmuch as they’re in it to do as well as they can, and at the pointy end the racing is fast and furious but frankly those guys can pass you at the speed of light and you barely even know they’re there. What it has much less of, is the roadies on knobblies and triathletes that made me want to commit mass murder at 10 Under The Ben.

Someone put it really eloquently to me “Loads of guys on orange fives, but no **** on unicycles”

It’s also not too busy- first lap can be quite crowdy but after that there’s rarely real traffic (either passing or being passed). That makes a huge difference.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Tempted to dust off the unicycle now.

clubby

Signed up for my first attempt. Doing as a pair, hoping to get a few others with us. Done 10 under too many times and fancied domething different.

dufusdip
    Free Member

Never tried anything like this but slightly tempted.

What is the route? Fitness will need some work!

tomhoward

Not entered yet, but fancy it as a triple. Solo riding meant I could never put down my *awesome* power, because pacing. Now to find two victims teammmates…

Northwind

dufusdip – Member

What is the route? Fitness will need some work!

Assuming it’s the same as last time, it’s got amazingly little glentress trails in it- a mix of climbs and short descents and trailcentre up to anderson road, down a wee offpiste and down the goat path in reverse, then down zoom or bust, up a bit and down another offpiste/footpath, then down the side of the forest. It’s got some horrible climbs, and some really nice naturalish descending

My only complaint really is heartbreak hill, that’s just uncalled for- I’ve even offered to cut a link trail through into the blue climb for them 😆 But neil likes to brutalise people. Oh and since it’s got so much singletrack overtaking is a wee bit harder than some routes.

jordie
    Free Member

Try heartbreak hill SS for 7 hours it just great to get up each time

Northwind

I made a breakthrough- after the first couple of laps I push the top half of it, then I do the next bit faster, rather than grinding up the hill out of pride then using the next bit to recover. Definitely makes me faster on balance

But I still have to do it at least once properly, just because

gwurk
    Free Member

Nah… Sorry. Don’t get it.

Don’t get any of these cycling “events” if I’m honest.

Northwind

We never wanted you to come anyway, you’d just spoil it

joshvegas
    Free Member

jordie – Member
    Try heartbreak hill SS for 7 hours it just great to get up each time

Very true. My favourite bit was pushing past the people trying to ride it!

As for seriousness… Deadly. heres me pushing the limits of what’s possible on a bike… gnar…

dazh

I’m in again. It’s fairly relaxed but there are plenty racing. Those who do are mostly polite when they want to go past. At least I am. Just make sure you stay off the brakes on the long straight super fast section of singletrack near the end 🙂

fifeandy
    Free Member

Nah, not for me this year.
    Got the perfect weather in 2015 & 2016. Rather keep the good memories than risk the mental scars trying to ride it in the wet would give 😀

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Well I guess I entered the Glentress Seven again’ is closed to new replies.