Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Well – I got my 1970's Omega Constellation fixed…
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

The first quote I got was £240. I did a bit of mooching and found an electric watch expert who serviced it, fitted a new coil onto one of the tuning fork tines, cleaned it ultrasonically, polished the glass and fitted a new cell for just £116 including return post.

I think it looks lovely and it gains just 0.5 sec per day which for a watch made in 1973 is pretty amazing.

What do you lot think?

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I think people on a Watch forum would be more impressed with your 'look ive got an omega' willy waving…

solarider
    Free Member

Ignore him. That's a cool watch.

It's not a question of 'willy waving' about it being an Omega. Keeping a 40 year old anything going, be it a bike, a car or a watch is always a satisfying feeling. Nice one.

derek_starship
    Free Member

OHH – kiss my flatulent arse. Miserable ****t. This thread does allude to a previous one about this particular watch.

Willy waving. Pah.

Talkemada
    Free Member

My cheapo digital only gains that amount of time every 3 or 4 days.. 😉

It's not as nice as that though. That's proper nice. Worth having serviced. I'll probably throw my one away when the battery runs out (the strap will probably spilt before that anyway).

clubber
    Free Member

Who did you use (link?) – I need a new face on my watch…

Rocketdog36
    Free Member

Nice to see a proper Omega,
    rather than the big tie penny millionare ones u usually see on here.
    lovely!

epicyclo

It's not willy waving if you have a willy worth waving 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Derek, first thoughts (honestly) were 'yee gawd you need your eyes taking out with a spoon'.

Then I looked at it again. studied and like it. Its very nice. Detail, subtle detail and depth of retrotastic niceness. 😀

HeatherBash
    Free Member

If your post didnt have the title Omega in it I reckon most folk would tell you it was a load of old tat ( which it is imo)

derek_starship
    Free Member

a load of old tat ( which it is imo)

HB – it may not light your candle but if you really think this then you are pure alien.

hora
    Free Member

I like it. How much is it worth?

derek_starship
    Free Member

Hora – to a collector, probably up to £500. To Heather Bash, cock all.

And it sings! The 300Hz mech' plays a constant middle C – which is amplified by my pillow at night. Mrs. S thought she had tinitus 😀

piha
    Free Member

Nice looking watch you have there. Looks like your man done a nice job cleaning it up too.

clubber
    Free Member

Who did the work? 😉

terrahawk
    Free Member

it might be nice, but did your pa hide it from the gooks up his ass in Korea for 2 years?

derek_starship
    Free Member

The work was done by http://www.electric-watches.co.uk/

Tiger6791

0.5 sec per day

Well i'm looking at it and its says 5 to 3

Thats 2 hours slow! Bin it

molgrips
    Free Member

I think it looks lovely and it gains just 0.5 sec per day which for a watch made in 1973 is pretty amazing.

So it's crap, but it's also old, so that makes it ok? 😉

anokdale
    Free Member

Nice watch, enjoy

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

Very nice.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Nice and way more stylish than the James Bond diving nonsense most **** over.

Makes me think of my 58 Seiko and similar age self winding Certina!

trailmonkey

Very nice indeed

Jerome
    Free Member

Very nice, got my omega ranchero on today

DickBarton

I do hope that isn't sitting on your wrist…if so, your forearm is MASSIVE!!! Doesn't look like anything fancy to me but watches don't impress me HOWEVER, it's almost 40 years old and still looks good…that impresses me…well done that man!

shermer75
    Free Member

"No, I have er…two dollars and a casio watch"

Your watch is sweet btw d_s. I just couldn't resist getting in a quote from one of my favourite films!!

DickBarton

I do hope that isn't sitting on your wrist…if so, your forearm is MASSIVE!!! Doesn't look like anything fancy to me but watches don't impress me HOWEVER, it's almost 40 years old and still looks good…that impresses me…well done that man!

matthewjb
    Free Member

I remember your original post. Glad you got it fixed. It looks good.

I got my Father in Law's vintage Movado back from the repairers this week. It doesn't look as good as yours but at least it now runs.

CountZero

Chap I worked with was a total watch nut, constantly buying old watches on fleabay. Came into work with an Omega, a mechanical one from just before they went electronic. Paid £600 for it and took it to a hourologist to be serviced. Bloke took one look, asked if he wanted to sell it. “Bloody hell, I've only just bought it. Why?” bloke says, ”I've got a customer who'll give you £3500 for it right now”
    Looked not unlike yours. Can't say I like the styling of those old Omegas, but they're nice watches. It's the fact that they are precision instruments, not mass produced timepieces designed to be just thrown away. Not that that's a problem, I currently wear a G10 MWC watch with Tracer markers that cost £90. Big problem is it's not waterproof, but it is amazingly accurate, to a couple of seconds over a six month period. Good watch, and if I was travelling abroad, then I would only take cheapo ones, in case unsavoury individuals feel that their crack habit needs feeding.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Shermer – Funnily enough – I also have that exact casio watch!

Is that PT&A?

shermer75
    Free Member

Oh yes. Those aren't pllows!! 😆

nedrapier

Nice watch, Mr Starship. Well done on getting it sorted rather than leaving it at the back of a drawer.

So it's crap, but it's also old, so that makes it ok?

Older and crapper, but still OK. and still ticking:

Pauly

Beautiful timepiece. I love it.

molgrips
    Free Member

It's the fact that they are precision instruments, not mass produced timepieces designed to be just thrown away.

See, the way I look at it, they are an outdated very expensive and engineering-intensive solution to a problem that can be solved vastly more easily and cheaply.

Kind of like cutting a lawn with shears instead of a lawnmower 🙂

matthewjb
    Free Member

Kind of like cutting a lawn with shears instead of a lawnmower

or buying a £3000 bicycle when a £400 one will do the job just as well.

bullheart
    Free Member

That is lovely.

I've got a 70's Seamaster that's on the blink. I might well give your fella a bell. Cheers!

shermer75
    Free Member

+1 matthewjb 😆

hora
    Free Member

Slight hijack- any watch repair recommendations for a standard battery watch? Its a Tag F1 thats had a slight knock.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Watches are about style rather than just function.

Andy

Very elegant watch, well done; and there is something satisfying in having it repaired and back in use.

I agree the older Omegas are more elegant. My 60's Seamaster was replaced by one of the modern ones when it was nicked and its really not the same.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Well – I got my 1970's Omega Constellation fixed…’ is closed to new replies.