Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Well aren't the A&E departments for the NHS so much fun?
  • Admiralable
    Free Member

After a day at work yesterday struggling to catch my breath my mother told me I’d better at least visit the go. So off I toddled this morning to unhooked surgery. There I explained my symptoms he did a few tests and proclaimed “I don’t know what it could be so I’m referring you to the hospital! All well and good I though except I have to be in work from 12-9 today. So after a few frantic calls to work to explain I’m going to A&E but there’s not actually anything major wrong I’ve been sat here for 5 hours after a chest X-ray, an ECG and some blood samples. They still aren’t giving any ideas away as to what it could be though 🙁 I think I’m going to die of heart cancer attack with failure of all my major components including my feet but not for a few years yet!

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

A bit of patience never hurt anyone. If you dont like it, there is a simple solution. Go home

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Our A&E is wonderful. They sent me home with a ‘sore ankle’ that you ‘get better in a few days to a few weeks’

What they failed to notice was that I’d broken it in 3 places!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Go home

Or go private.

project
    Free Member

Chest infection, or Pneumonia, or anything in between.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I know, the BUPA, Nuffield, Pru and Simply health ones are so much better………

Ohh wait, no, they don’t exist.

5 hours is nothing, you’ve ignored it for 24 hours, whats a few more going to do?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

there’s not actually anything major wrong I’ve been sat here for 5 hours

why are you sitting there if there’s nothing major wrong?
    I broke my arm a few years ago, but by the time I got to AandE the pubs were starting to empty, so the place was filling with people who’d fell or got into fights, so may have had head injuries. head injuries can be fatal, broken arms aren’t so they were all priortised above me, much like the people who have arrived at AandE after you might have something major wrong. Given i wasn’t likely to die from a broken arm, I went home,self medicated with some Glenmorangie and went back the next day. They were a bit snotty about it, but I told them if I’m not getting medical asssistance, I’d ather not get it in comfort at home.
    So stop whining.

derek_starship
    Free Member

If you’re able to compose a post, I assume on a smartphone, then there’s nothing that seriously wrong with you.

I was admitted with breathlessness (dysponea) several years ago and I was hypoxic on air because of a serious respiratory issue. Ended up in intensive care as my sats continued to fall.

I certainly wasn’t able to speak properly never mind complain and type things.

You’re in the right place – stay there until they tell you that you’re okay to go home.

epicyclo

I’ve needed them twice. They’re brilliant.

crankboy
    Free Member

A and E I think stands for accident and emergency, so they have to Triage patients according to medical urgency not waiting times. So your long wait is either a very good sign or very very bad. As your either in the nothing horrible will happen if he waits group or the there’s nowt we can do he’ll die anyway, so we’ll leave him on one side and have a futile fiddle latter if he’s still alive group.

kimbers

chelsea & westminster A&E is excellent imho

you get a better class of patient and medic in there

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Chest infection, or Pneumonia, or anything in between.

Isn’t pneumonia a chest infection? (A lower respiratory tract (lungs) infection – a chest infection). At least that is what our Quack told us after both our daughters had it/suspected of having it.

But it is what I immediately thought it might be.

Northwind

Shockingly, patients with more serious or urgent issues have been seen before you.

project
    Free Member

I imagine all the DR`s and nurses are in the back office watching you furiously typing into your smart phone and your posts on Singletrack.

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

A&E don’t prioritise! I severly burnt my fingers one morning and was taken to A&E, an old lady who was at the desk when we arrived, complained she had a sore wrist (from gardening) all week and waited until Saturday when she felt it was urgent enough to go to A&E rather than her doctor on the Friday or wait till the Monday. Even the girl behind the desk commented that it wasn’t urgent and could wait till Monday. Anyway I sat there in agony for nearly 3 hours and the old lady still went in before me!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

They probably thought you were doing it for a film and didn’t take you seriously Jackass…

dan1980
    Free Member

A&E don’t prioritise!

I’ve gone into an A&E with what turned out to be pnumonia, and more recently with a very badly cut finger needing 5 stichs and a Mr Man plaster.

I can say that not being able to breath propely, coughing up disturbingly coloured fleghm and having an oxygen sturation below 85% gets you seen a damn sight quicker than blood oozing out of a digit.

Drac

A&E don’t prioritise!

Yes they do. A fractured or sore wrist is simpler treatment than a burn finger which is why she was out before you but chances are she’d be back at the fracture clinic the next day. Or she was put through triage and minor injuries as that all she what was needed.

Or go private.

Yeah off you pop to your local private A+E see how you get on.

wrightyson
    Free Member

You might also need some burns treatment after the flaming you’ve just had, but you can expect it on here if you ever dare question the NHS!! 😉

dr_death
    Free Member

A&E don’t prioritise!

Bet you we do, but only into categories….

Burnt fingers and sore wrist are both Cat 4’s so whichever of the Cat 4s got there first get’s seen first.

SOB (Short of breath) is probably a Cat 3 (depending ion how bad you are at triage) so gets seen before Cat 4.

Although I have to ask, if you’d seen your GP and he thought it was bad enough to have you admitted why did he not have you admitted, why did he send you to A&E rather than the admissions unit? Bloody GPs that do this really boil my piss, just creates extra work for me, not your fault but it allows me to have a rant. (Maybe if he’d sent you to the right place you wouldn’t have waited 5 hours – although given how shit our local admissions unit is, it would have been closer to 8 so think yourself lucky)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yeah off you pop to your local private A+E see how you get on.

That’s kinda what I meant…I missed out the smileys needed…too late to edit now.

Drac

You might also need some burns treatment after the flaming you’ve just had, but you can expect it on here if you ever dare question the NHS!!

In fairness he was just complaining about how boring they are.

Bloody GPs that do this really boil my piss, just creates extra work for me, not your fault but it allows me to have a rant.

Yup surprised they never rang for an ambulance too whilst they sit them in the waiting room.

That’s kinda what I meant…I missed out the smileys needed…too late to edit now.

Oh!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh!

S’ok…posting from my jellybone and being a lazy arse 🙄

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

What they failed to notice was that I’d broken it in 3 places!

Well, don’t go to those again!

Drac

S’ok…posting from my jellybone and being a lazy arse

Well I also jumped on it as you imagine it’s some what of a bugbear.

project
    Free Member

Update required please, have you been admitted to the

TJ hospital for the terminally bored.

catfood
    Free Member

I rang the hospital a while back as my scar opened up after I had my stitches out after a foot op, a hematoma put too much pressure on the wound for it to seal apparently.
    They said come in to Accident and Emergency but bring a book as it was Friday night. I went in and was seen within five minutes, ahead of the fifty or so people who were waiting there, presumably coz of the risk of infection. Ive since been told it could have been serious.
    I imagine there were a few grumbles as I didnt look as if there was anything wrong with me.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

My local A&E saved my life when I was in status epilepticus a couple of years ago – do I rate it? Hell yes!

Not as fun when I got admitted on a saturday evening last year, chock full of drunken **** who should have been left on a mattress in an airshelter in the carpark, not wasting valuable time.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Christ I hope he’s not dead!

I feel for Admirable up there! When a Doc sends you to A&E it’s a more than a little worrying. Then you get to sit around for ages. Especially for chest stuff.

Personally I take the sit around for ages as a good thing – if it’s really bad you get seen quickly ime.

Of course this can and does go wrong (ime on August bank holiday in Edinburgh) but the NHS are generally trying to do their best.

IA

Found myself in A&E a few time, all excellent except once at edinburgh, when they left me waiting for 4 hours. Went up to ask when I’d hear about x-ray results. Turned out it was fine and I could go home, they’d just forgotten to tell me and assumed I’d left :-S

But I can forgive that, not unreasonable that a doctor might get interrupted with something more serious than telling me I’m fine then forget.

epicyclo

I found that going up to the desk, babbling gibberish, rolling my eyes back in my skull, going white as a sheet, and then toppling over gracefully, got me attended to swiftly.

hopefiendboy

dont complain too much chaps. Private healthcare system means the same delays, but you ahve to pay 2-300 Euro up front before they see you. Thats the Republic for ya……..

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

dont complain too much chaps. Private healthcare system means the same delays, but you ahve to pay 2-300 Euro up front before they see you. Thats the Republic for ya……

I’se presuming you’re in ROI. My elderly mum’s ongoing stuff there is costing her 29k so far, even with insurance (which wriggles out of everthing). Althogh to be fair she is seen instantly and has an mri on a whim (but she pays).

The UK NHS is much critised – but much better than the alternative ime.

timc
    Free Member

try waiting 5 months for physio…

duntmatter
    Free Member

A&E might be boring. Whatever. A&E might also save your life. A&E is undoubtedly saving lives while you are bored. I don’t see a problem with any of that.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

But duntmatter – the key thing is – your doctor says: go to A&E now. You’ve got chest problems. So you’d wander along. Worried.

In my case – probably your case – your heart will be in you mouth.

And it’s human nature – you sit there thinking some fecker with a sore thumb has got in in front of me!

Give the guy a break! FFS.

duntmatter
    Free Member

Been there, done that. If the complaint is boredom, I see it as part of the deal. I’m not trying to have a go at anyone. And I would trust the docs and nurses to do what’s best.

DrP

if you’d seen your GP and he thought it was bad enough to have you admitted why did he not have you admitted, why did he send you to A&E rather than the admissions unit?

Depends on bed state. Recently I’ve had patients referred through the proper channels, but a lack of beds meant they were waiting in the A+E waiting room (!), and because they were ‘medical’ atients, A+E wouldn’t get involved, so their journey through the system was slower than if they’d pitched up in A+E!

Don’t always assume GPs are asses!

DrP

Woody
    Free Member

Last week in Durham the matron announced to a packed waiting room (there were also people standing outside the doors) that because a few very serious cases were on there way into A+E, the waiting time would now be up to 7 hours. The room cleared within minutes!

Some people seem to treat a visit to A+E like a family day out and a fair proportion are only there because they can’t get an appointment to see their GP for days or at weekends. 😕

TinMan
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Well aren't the A&E departments for the NHS so much fun?’ is closed to new replies.