Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Welcome to the real world….
  • Bear
    Free Member

of mountain biking!

Having a holiday in Keswick, bit of biking, bit of walking, lots of lazing about.

Proper mountain biking, has made me realize how fat, unfit and technically inept I am! Rode / carried / got lost round Borrowdale Bash the other day, but bloody loved it. Ridden many trail centres in the UK, and a bit in the Alps but this is bloody tough compared to the trail centre stuff. Both the climbing and the descending are at a level that I’ve not encountered anywhere else in the UK. Have worked out what the granny ring is for too, and the need for pads on bits of my body.

Have to say how friendly all the people on the trail are, having only encountered walkers really, but everyone has been fantastic. Reading posts on here about what people ride in the day can only assume that the local mountain bikers are all of the whippet variety.

Thinking of heading out for the Skiddaw loop today with the climb to the top and back thrown in. Think that should just about finish me……..

Lovely place, lovely people already looking forward to coming back, or could you shift a little further south….

michaelbowden

^^^ LIKE

Bear
    Free Member

Made it back, another excellent day out! Didn’t do the climb up to Skiddaw as very cloudy and pretty damp by then. Made most of Dash Falls climb but couldn’t quite get to the gate before spinning out, and some of the climbing over the rocky sections eluded me, as did some of the trail as the only line I could see was a steep gravity accelerated one down to a wet grave…… And it was a shame about the very muddy descent on the way down to Keswick but I guess as it is a busy walking trail then no bad thing. From reading a few things do people ride down Cat Bells? If so not only are you all whippets but you have large testie!

I will be back to have a go at the climb to Skiddaw, thanks to the Lakes, what a place…..

matt_outandabout

This thread is full of win.

thegreatape
    Free Member

*is jealous of Bear

bikeneil
    Free Member

Bear:

What bike are you using?

nedrapier

Good work, Bear! 😀

I went to school with a Bear. You’re not a Crooks are you?

Edit: just checked your profile. Seems not!

soundninjauk

Aww man Skiddaw and the Borrowdale Bash, two of my favourite Lakes rides. I miss living up north…

Bear
    Free Member

Bikeneil – what bike I am using makes no difference as main problem is LOFT! But for the record Fuel EX carbon frame, started as a 9.8 but had a couple of frames warranties which involved new rear end upgrades too. Lovely bike and way more bike than I can justify. My main problem is being North of 17 stone! And not very brave…..

bikeneil
    Free Member

Bikeneil – what bike I am using makes no difference 

I was just curious.

asbrooks

And not very brave

Me neither, oh well. Dosen’t stop me from enjoying myself 😀

Bear
    Free Member

Riding round here also requires completely different kit too. A bigger pack is essential to cope with the changes in weather. Pads fairly useful too as far rockier than home. Need to carry more food as rides tend to be longer and do a lot of people ride tubeless allowing low pressures and more grip?
    And how much riding of footpaths goes on?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

how much riding of footpaths goes on?

None at all of course. That would be naughty.

However, if you were to attempt the Borrowdale Bash again, then the path along the top of Walla Crag to Ashness bridge could be tempting. And if you were to go up Skiddaw, then Ullock Pike could be tempting also.
    Just saying, like.

😉

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Gosh darnnit, how did those photos end up there?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Welcome to the real world….’ is closed to new replies.