• This topic has 33 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Pook.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Weird writing in farmers fields
  • hammerite
    Free Member

Was looking at the size of some school fields on Apple maps (also visible on Bing but not Google maps) a little while ago and came across these in farmers fields near villages close to me……

Field 1

Field 2

A bit strange, but also seemingly a lot of effort. Wondering if it’s two farmers in the village (guessing by the name of Hale and Nestling) who are having a bit of a spat and trying to get messages about each other out there! Can’t think what else they mean.

Russell96

The aliens doing fantastic crop circles for years have finally learnt how to spell?

samuri
    Free Member

I’m going with aliens. It’s not your fault you’re too thick to understand their galactic intelligence.

bwaarp
    Free Member

That’s it….gonna draw a giant pair of boobs in a field for a satellite.

maccruiskeen

someones got issues 🙂

carbon337
    Free Member

Random find of the day award. Good spot.

Markie
    Free Member

Could it be that the writer is angry about nestlings (baby birds) being killed, possibly with something toxic?

hammerite
    Free Member

Yeah I noticed that too Carbon. Looks like there is a farmer Hale in the village these are near, also someone called Hale had been trying to develop a big chunk of land nearby (2008).

marcus7
    Free Member

That makes more sense on my laptop (on my phone you dont see this!), good way of getting round the swear filter….!

bigyinn
    Free Member

How did they know the aerial photo plane was going to pass overhead?

atlaz
    Free Member

I think the assumption is that if you do it and keep it maintained, there’s a satellite imagery pass every year or so. For some reason more often in summer (probably on average, the cloud coverage is less)

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Curious to see the photos, the link opens up a bing map of the region for me.

spooky_b329

I don’t think Google was the intended target, both sets of writing are on the approaches to the airfield right alongside 🙂

Possibly the farmer flew, or they just want to spread the word to the local pilots!

alex222
    Free Member

someones got issues

cow gonna be chopes 😀

hammerite
    Free Member

spooky_b329 – it’s an RAF base, RAF Henlow. But they do offer learn to fly packages, so there might also be a flying club where locals take to the skies.

Taken from wiki….

It houses the RAF Centre of Aviation Medicine, the RAF Signals Museum and 616 Volunteer Gliding Squadron.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Aaah, hadnt realised there was an airfield nearby, hence they were the target audience, not aerial photgraphers.

julianwilson
    Free Member

There is a great bit in the beginning of Generation A by Douglas Coupland where this lad in the Midwest with a combine harvester and a gps makes half-mile long ‘winkle and balls’.

2 of my mates were early crop cicle makers in Cornwall: they were on telly a couple of times, as were a load of druidic types from Totnes who were reading all sorts of mysticism into the late night antics of two rockers with a big stake, 100 foot of rope, a couple of planks, cider and crap hashih. 😆

maccruiskeen

Centre of Aviation Medicine

This’ll tend to make you very high

Rorschach
    Free Member

onehundredthidiot

The barn roof in Roscharchs piccie became famous and planes from miles came just to buzz it.

russianbob
    Free Member

Isn’t it more likely to be aimed at the RAF station. I assume the planes in one way or another are killing nestling birds and that Hale is someone in charge at the base?

hammerite
    Free Member

russianbob The air force only seem to fly gliders from there, I think the only plane flying comes from a civilian flying club. I go past relatively often and it doesn’t ever seem to be a hive of flying activity.

maxtorque

On a similar vane, i was wondering what the heck is going on in the moors around Llandegla:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=53.035407,-3.155994&spn=0.015277,0.038409&t=h&z=15

??

konagirl
    Free Member

maxtorque, it’s for the grouse shooting. They burn off strips of heather / bog to give the grouse new, young shoots while offering cover from predators in the nearby established stuff. Supposed to increase numbers.

nickjb
    Free Member

Curious to see the photos, the link opens up a bing map of the region for me.

That’s what happened on my phone, works from my laptop. Can’t really post a pic as it contains a swear

rogerthecat
    Free Member

It’s the ghost of Reg:

molgrips
    Free Member
    maxtorque

konagirl
    maxtorque, it’s for the grouse shooting. They burn off strips of heather / bog to give the grouse new, young shoots while offering cover from predators in the nearby established stuff. Supposed to increase numbers.

WOW, literally everyday is a school day! Thanks, i can sleep easier now 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

I knew that too ^^^

maccruiskeen

^^ You’d get similar marks from ‘Rush Management’. Some land owners of rough pasture and moorland get grants to allow the rushes to grow back. Similar to grouse management its about getting a diversity of conditions for wildlife so they allow a percentage of the rushes to grow but the have to cut a percentage back a specified percentage each year. The scatter of regular straight stripes in that pic might indicate cutting rushes with a tractor (which you trying to do in a random scatter) rather than burning heather which is a bit more freeform (as fire tends to be) and usually has a more blobby pattern to it. When its good it looks like leopard skin

maxtorque

Crickey, it’s all gone a bit ‘CountryFile’ in here now……. 😉

Gary_C

Crickey, it’s all gone a bit ‘CountryFile’ in here now

All we need is sexy photos of Julia & Ellie…

Pook

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Weird writing in farmers fields’ is closed to new replies.