Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Weird Tyre Issue
  • mccraque

I was racing the Gorrick yesterday and thought I’d been buzzed by the chap behind a couple of times…. Anyway – the bike then starts to feel like I have a flat – all over the place on corners. Stopped to check it out and the tyre is still full of air.

Continue, look down and see that the whole thing is wobbling from left to right like a massive buckle in the wheel. Nursed it to the end of the race and took a proper look.

The wheel is fine – but tyre (Tubeless Conti X King) has gone from being fine at the start of the race to having developed a massive imperfection – and now almost buzzes the chainstay as it rotates.

Anyone else ever experienced this? I’ve taken it off, reseated it and it’s no different. Other tyres on the same rim are absolutely fine.

Baffling…

kwack
    Free Member

Got exactly the same with a Conti Trail King – wont be buying them again

stanleigh
    Free Member

Yup , had exactly the same , had a clumsy / heavy / near wash out on the front tyre that produced a big stretched egg shape . Initially I thought I’d pulled the bead out a little , but no , the tyre had stretched out of shape!

I’ve given up on contis altogether now , even the Protection Model , the side walls are too flimsy for me & they were forevever weeping stan’s , costing me a fortune in sealant.

bluebird
    Free Member

Yes, I’ve also experienced that, but with a set of tubeless high rollers.

honourablegeorge

Yep. it’s a regular occurrence with Conti tyres. They may warranty it for you.

kayak23

Friend got a warranty on this from his Contis…

njee20
    Free Member

Same happened to me on the road last week, Hutchinson Fusion totally warped, very odd, certainly had been railing any berms on my commute!

mccraque

I’d not actually considered a warranty – good idea. Will drop them a note. Glad it’s not just me though. It doesn’t look stretched, but something isn’t quite right!

TiRed

Had exactly this in my last Gorrick race. Same tyre on Stans Crest. I’ve put a tube in it and it looks the right shape now. It sealed well and went up fine, but I was surprised too.

mccraque

I’ve dropped Conti a note

TiRed – mine was on a Stans Arch rim…

Wonder if the Gorricks have anything to do with this mystery!!?

dang100
    Free Member

I had that years ago – probably 92 or 93 – on a tyre which was probably a spec ground control, tioga farmer johns or possibly an onza porcupine.

In unrelated news I ripped a sidewall on a continental mountain king on its second outing yesterday.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

That wheel buzz may have frayed some of the fibres in the sidewall,causing the rest to give up the fight and let it all hang out.
    Find the chap that buzzed you and demand satisfaction!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Common issue with Conti’s.

I’ve had two completely deform. Had one go on me in the Alps a few weeks back.

No longer a Conti user..

stevied
    Free Member

Find the chap that buzzed you and demand satisfaction!

Will sir need a Conti Protection for that?

singlespeedstu

I had a Minion DHF do this on me coming down a set of steps on top of a cliff in Spain last week.
    Spaffed all the Stans out and I almost shat myself. 😆
    Pumped it up again and it was warped enough to touch the fork leg. 😐

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Weird Tyre Issue’ is closed to new replies.