Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Weird shit you come across while riding?
  • kaesae
    Free Member

I have a walk that I do on a regular basis I also ride this same route occasionally.

However not long ago I noticed that there was a syrunge lying on the path or next to it 😯 it still had the orange top on it and I’ve simply been ignoring/avoiding it as much as I can.

However it does really irritate me, today I went a slightly different route and came across another syringe this time without the orange cap, these appear to be medical waste, rather than drug users disgarding them.

Anyone else find shit like this very irritating and what’s the best way to get rid of the syringes without too much hassle?

poly
    Free Member

However it does really irritate me, today I went a slightly different route and came across another syringe this time without the orange cap, these appear to be medical waste, rather than drug users disgarding them.

What makes you think that?

Medical waste would come from one of two sources. (i) professional healthcare staff; (ii) an individual (e.g. with diabetes or a hormone problem treated by self administered injection). The former have strict protocols for disposing of syringes to avoid needlestick injuries to themselves and colleagues. The latter may be slightly less dedicated about disposal (but will usually still be provided with FOC sharps bins) – but don’t very often take medication in the middle of a path (and even less likely to discard their waste there). Its possible that home users discarding syringed in domestic waste get “spilled” from black bags or bins but its not the most likely scenario.

what’s the best way to get rid of the syringes without too much hassle?

The official answer is report it to you environmental health department who will arrange for it to be removed. If you want to fix it yourself then keep away from the pointy end and put it inside a hard plastic container – e.g. an empty coke bottle – be careful not to finger stick yourself in the process.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I noticed that there was a syrunge lying on the path or next to it 😯

You must’ve led a sheltered life.

Anyone who rides off-road with Addiscombe CC knows the infamous “Tampax Alley” on the way to to Keston Common/Biggin Hill. Shit like that happens.

kaesae
    Free Member

This is a known fly tipping area and there are old black bags and other junk all over the place, it could be drug addicts banging up and then tossing their needles, but it’s not as likely as the syringes coming from one of the bags.

That said I will simply collect the awful things carefully and put them in a thick plastic bottle then chuck them in the bin, too many kids about and one of them might do something stupid with one of the syringes.

yunki
    Free Member

or place them (very very carefully) into a discarded beer can and then scrunch the top of the can over before placing in a public bin.. that’s what we did when we were teenagers..

Alejandro
    Free Member

When I’m home at my parent’s house one of the local riding spots is a dogger’s hotspot. Items found so far include:

2 x gay men ‘at it’
    1 x butt-naked sunbather
    1 x complete set of women’s clothes inc. underwear
    unlimited x condom wrappers, condoms etc…

Pretty eventful as you can see 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Weird shit you come across while riding?’ is closed to new replies.