Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Weird divert issue…
  • teasel
    Free Member

As per title – bit of a weird one this – webbing it this morning and I tried to open Singletrack but instead get a message from EE (my mobile BB provider) informing me I can’t visit this site because it’s not appropriate for folk under 18 and my content restriction is in place. I would have copied the page but it’s stopped directing me there now, but basically the page had two links, one of which suggested I’d have to enter my credit card details in order to lift the restriction, the other suggested I could do it through my EE Settings, again, this was a link to follow. I did neither but noticed a footnote informing me that if I was a PAYG customer, there would be no other option other than entering my card details to continue un-restricted. I’m a PAYG customer.

Doubting all of this due to the type of site being blocked, namely this place, I visited the EE site and tried to find a link to enable me to change this setting. Nothing. Next, I open the original greeting email from EE and click on the ‘Contact Us’ button at the bottom of the email – the link tells me I’m going to head off to EE. What actually happens is my WOT add-on pops up warning me the site is dodgy as a dodgy thing. I follow the WOT link to tell me more and it turns out that folk are moaning about some pharmaceutical company. Links are below to the WOT page but I won’t link to the dodgy page unless someone wants to see in order to help. The content restriction page stopped when I closed the browser and re-opened. The weird thing is this – when I click on the link in the email, I still get directed to the dodgy pharma page – I’d like to know why. Obviously I’m not restricted anymore other wise I wouldn’t be posting but I’m worried something has got into my machine somehow.

The only thing I can think of is Bikemagic. I visited yesterday and the riding section had been spammed. I open one thread to see what was happening and then closed the page. I didn’t click on anything, just logged in and out.

Tech side – I’m on a mac running Mavericks. I have ad – freeloading thing running (no point in typing it out), No Script on, Hands Off running and using Firefox instead of Safari. I don’t know whether or not content is restricted from the off with EE mobile broadband and it’s something you have to remove as opposed to a default off setting. Either way it’s not something I’ve taken steps to lift so should be in place if it’s default to on.

WTF is going on, oh tech gurus…? Your help, as always, is greatly received and always remembered.

Link to the WOT reviews, not that I think there’s much to be learned from it…

https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/p4trc.emv2.com?utm_source=addon&utm_content=rw-viewsc

teasel
    Free Member

Quick update – every link in the afore mentioned EE email now takes me to that dodgy page. How have they managed to divert an email link?

Also, just received a junk mail from gorillaonemedia.com. Obviously didn’t open it. Connection with this issue?

CountZero

I’ve had similar things happen while web browsing using O2’s free wifi from their shop next to the coffee shop I always use. They seem to have a pretty low threshold for what they consider iffy content, they demanded I give my credit card details to verify my age before they’d let me browse the Bushcraft Store, presumably because they sell sharp, pointy things. 🙄
    I now use the free wifi from Natwest over the road, which is less shonky, and they don’t seem to much give a toss what I browse…

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Me too. Mobile chrome. Very odd.

teasel
    Free Member

Bump for the weekday crowd.

You had the same message, Cfinnimore – supposedly from EE or a different provider?

I’m on *clenches teeth* MyFi so not the same thing as you, Count. I would imagine some sites displaying weapons and the like, even survival stores, would start to fall under the restricted list over the coming years. Like I say, I haven’t bothered having the content restriction lifted since I got this Alcatel thing a few months ago so was quite surprised when the message popped up.

Anyway, I downloaded Clamxav to see if anything had made its way into my laptop but nothing showed up and everything else is working just fine, apart from the link on the email – it still takes me to the dodgy pharma page. This isn’t a problem as I have no need to use the link or contact EE, I’m just curious as to what actually happened and how this was performed just from logging in to a corrupted website.

I know it’s not an issue now but one of you bright computer types must know how this sort of thing is done and how to avoid it in the future, or point me in the direction of a site detailing this sort of thing. I wouldn’t know what to search for…

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Still happening. Have to reset my content block and do a restart to get in this forum.

On EE 4G. Only happened since I came to Fort Bill on holipops.

I don’t have any suspicious emails and it’s the correct page like when the content block is on and someone looks at boobs.

Odd. I’m not phoning EE, life’s too short.

maccruiskeen

they demanded I give my credit card details to verify my age before they’d let me browse the Bushcraft Store,

Planning on waxing your bikini line?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Weird divert issue…’ is closed to new replies.