Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Weird chain problem
  • Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Well, it’s not one I’ve had before anyway.

With bike on stand, it all works fine.

When out riding, if I freewheel, the rear derailleur moves forward (long up raises up towards chainstay) and top line of chain goes all slack, handing down between chainstay and wheel.

Is this a form of chainsuck I’ve not encountered before? Stiff link?

What I don’t understand is why it’s fine on the stand but not on the road.

Any advice? I’ve done a quick Google, didn’t really find much, thought I’d ask you lot before I attempt a fettle at lunchtime. (While the long wait for my belt-driven bike continues…)

Thanks!

oldejeans
    Free Member

I’m guessing the freewheel bearings might need replacing?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

yeah, the freehub ain’t as free as it should be.
    I’d guess bearings or a missing/incorrectly re-assembled part (eg the washer in a Hope)

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

ah, now that is very possible

so what’s going on then, if that’s the case?

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

I have never serviced the hub and/or freewheel 🙄

… and it is, um, 15 years old.

Will whacking some grease in somewhere keep it going for a few week until new bike day?

iainc

^^^ I think you have just answered your own question 🙂

Proper strip and service – the bearings may well be shot though – a freehub body isn’t usually an expensive item to replace

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Yup – thanks folks.

woody2000

I had a similar issue – the rear axle had snapped! Same difference though, something was stopping the hub from freewheeling properly so the chain was getting snagged up. Keep pedalling! 🙂

paulhaycraft

My brother just had exactly this on an old Kona. New freehub body sorted it for £20. (Shimano).

bigyinn
    Free Member

The make and model of the rear hub would be useful to know….

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

It’a a Hope hub. Couldn’t tell you the model – whatever was current in about 2001.

I think, given my abuse and neglect, it is a huge testimony to our friends in the North that it’s lasted this well. And I apologise to them for said neglect.

ChrisI

You should send it to them, labelled ‘long term test complete’. They’d probably be quite intrigued to see what its like after so many years of neglect! 😀

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

I’m confident a squirt of GT-85 in the right general direction will bring it back to life.

prawny

Weird as it sounds you may well be right, you don’t want too thick grease in a freehub. A liberal spritz of GT85 certainly wont hurt.

Also worth checking, the same was happening on my commuter last night when I backpedalled a little, it was caused by a partially snapped rear mech cable which put the mech enough off line to stiffen the chain, but not enough to make it skip.

daniel_owen_uk
    Free Member

Mine did that, when I snapped the axle in my hub. But as others have said probably more likely a freehub issue.

bigyinn
    Free Member

If its from 2001 it’ll be an XC or a Sport hub.
    They pretty much pull apart. If you go onto hope’s site you should be able to find a service guide for it.
    You’ll probably need 2 new bearings in the freehub body and the ratchet mechanism will need a good clean and lube. If its just gummed up you’ll probably just get away with a clean and re-grease.
    Been riding Hope XC’s for 20 years now.

onandon
    Free Member

my Mavic SLRs do this when they need a service. Should be relatively easy to do.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Hope stuff is effing legend isn’t it?

Dismantled, cleaned out the grot, nice squirt of fresh grease – now running perfect.

Am going out for a ride 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Weird chain problem’ is closed to new replies.