Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Weights question
  • molgrips
    Free Member

So say I have a small weight and a big weight. Big one is twice the weight of the small one.

I can do a certain movement pretty easily with the small one, but I can’t shift the big one at all. Is it better to just try with the big one until I can do it (obviously not straining so hard as to hurt myself) or do lots of reps of the small one to build up enough strength to do the big one?

scaredypants

good form is supposedly important, so use the small one

(or MTFU, obviously)

5thElefant
    Free Member

Small incremental increase starting with the small weight until you get to the big one. If you stop getting gains change your reps/range/tempo. You’ll get there eventually.

catfood
    Free Member

Lift the small one and over time keep adding a little bit of weight until you can lift the big one.

Edit Damn beaten to it

molgrips
    Free Member

Any tips on reps and sets and whatnot then?

I tend to just do these things sporadically til I can comfortably do no more.

Can’t really add weight to the small one – it’s one or the other.

catfood
    Free Member

Google 5×5

5thElefant
    Free Member

Damn. Beaten to it 😆

5×5 or have a look at this…

supertramp
    Free Member

There is a train of thought that suggests working against a weight to big to lift can stregthen tendons and surrounding tissue. But of course don’t over do it. I think it’s about holding the pressure on for a count of five then relaxing and repeating it.

But ask someone who really knows before taking my advice – please!

5thElefant
    Free Member

…and a training partner to lift the weight off you again.

Negatives are bloody grim mind. Not something you can do regularly.

Jamie
    Free Member

What weight are we talking about here, as kinda important. No point looking at stronglifts, Starting Strength etc if you only have kettlebells.

iDave
    Free Member

I’ve been known to add additional weight to kettlebells using household items and duc tape.

You could do likewise.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Lift until failure.

you should aim for something you can only just about do a set of 12 reps with good form as your base.

Add weight to the point where you can only do about 9 good reps. as an intermediate stage.

Then add weight to the point where you can only do six good reps. for your final effort.
    That’s your full set done.

after a few sessions you should find can do more than 6 reps at stage 3 go back to stage one and add more weight. etc.

bedmaker

Don’t lift until failure unless you are well experienced already. You’ll tweak, hurt, ache and give up. Try 5×5. I’m doing 5×5 reps of weights now I could barely lift before I started. It feels fairly easy and doesn’t hurt so I enjoy it and look forward to the next installment.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm, I do have duct tape, but not that many handy household items. I suppose I could get some sand in little bags.

The weights in question are kettlebells. The big one is 24kg and is great for swinging, but not much else currently!

5thElefant
    Free Member

You should have said! Kettle bells isn’t weight lifting as far as weight lifters are concerned.

It’s like asking about XC technique on a MTB form when you’re actually talking about skiing.

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh. Well they weigh a lot, and I lift them, is that not lifting weights? 🙂

oli82
    Free Member

A few suggestions…

Use the smaller weight in a more difficult / different movement? So, instead of a side raise do a front raise, or close grip / wide grip.

Use the lower weight to do dynamic moves?

Do negatives with the higher weight until you can manage a full range of motion with it.

Mintyjim

This 5×5 workup thing. Quick question please:

I can fairly comfortably do 3 sets of 10 reps on 80kg on the bench press. If I’m looking at 5×5 any suggestions what weight I should start with? 80kg still?

Also, do you do a ‘warm-up’ set?

Cheers

molgrips
    Free Member

Right.. last night I found a way of doing 5×5 with the large weight, and by the end it was significantly easier than at the beginning, which surprised me!

I guess it goes to show that it’s about technique and application as well as actual strength.

5thElefant
    Free Member

This 5×5 workup thing. Quick question please:

I can fairly comfortably do 3 sets of 10 reps on 80kg on the bench press. If I’m looking at 5×5 any suggestions what weight I should start with? 80kg still?

Whatever you can do 5 reps with. If you end up doing 5,5,5,4,3 that’s OK just wait until you hit 5,5,5,5,5 until you add weight.

Also, do you do a ‘warm-up’ set?

Yes.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Weights question’ is closed to new replies.