Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Weight Savings for XC Bike
  • jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

My Whippet project has been going for a year now, it went from just building the lightest MTB possible, which didn’t work as I took it to Llandegla to go at the blue route and it nearly shook my hands off.

Now I’m trying to build as light a possible, functional hardtail that I can take to Degla.

At the moment I’m looking at tyres as I am currently running heavy Contis. The wheels are ZTRs so tubeless are an option, but not a necessity.

Anyone any idea what will be a good upgrade? Thunder Burt? Wild Race R?

Oh, 26″ by the way. I’m also all ears if anyone’s got any other weight saving ideas.

kerley
    Free Member

I’m also all ears if anyone’s got any other weight saving ideas

You would need to list the spec for anyone to offer ideas as need to know what you have now.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Speedos and embrocation…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Weight is a number, nice interview jarred graves which he concludes weight doesn’t count if you don’t get round. Unless you want the badge for lightest bike or to win the light bike thread go with something that works.

You can always lie on the actual weight if it makes you feel good.

njee20
    Free Member

kerley +1

But as you asked I’d replace the wheels with AX-Lightness tubs, the forks with a F100 Factory RL, the groupset with XTR/XX1 mix, Next SL cranks, MCFK finishing kit. Then you’ll need to replace the frame, Open are nice.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Llandegla to go at the blue route

your serious huh?

take a road bike without mud guards

Most (all) weight resides on the rider. Cheap no cost upgrade to rider weight = faster

you can drop grams off the bike but 2kg of the rider is easy

mattyfez

Thunderburt are quite pricey.. Might be worth looking at rons and or ralphs for similar lightness and potentially more grip too.

Schwalbe are bringing out new light weight tubes too but they’ve not hit retailers yet.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

It’s just a project that I’m enjoying doing.

Frames a Whippet, F100 Forks, ZTR Wheels, Haven Bars, SLX 1×9 set up with XT mech and shifter, Thomson X4 Stem, Charge Knife Saddle, Nano Pedals.

I weight 11st 3lb so not much I can shave off there, It’s not a competition or a badge, I just enjoy tinkering.

njee20
    Free Member

Burts/Rons/Ralphs are basically the same price… 😕

What are your wheels? ZTR describes all NoTubes rims. Which ones are they? What hubs? What’s your budget?

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Stans ZTR Crest, Hope Hubs.

This isn’t my life, I’m not spending a fortune on wheels and frames, just a fun project I’m doing. Most of the bikes been built from ebay bargains.

kerley
    Free Member

Seat and pedals could be lighter but realise they are personal choices not as much based on weight.
    Don’t know about gears and the real weight saving is in the fork but if you have to have suspension then seems okay.

If you don’t want to spend a fortune then it looks good as it is as getting it noticeably lighter is probably going to cost a lot.

The biggest thing you will notice will be the tyres which you are already looking at especially if by heavy Contis you mean 800g tractor tyres?

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Yep, they weigh more than the moon. Rubber Queen 2.4s.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Save you 300g with something like an ardent race at 650g per tyre. Should be perfectly fine for Llandegla blue

kerley
    Free Member

A project to build a light MTB and putting 830 gram tyres on, what a disgrace 🙂

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Ha ha! I had the road tyres on for doing Manchester to Blackpool, put Geax Pluma on and they were like paper, the Contis were spare and wouldn’t puncture when I’m trying to get to work.

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

I’m a little confused. You built a light weight bike but found the ride too rough and now you want to swap to lighter tyres? Your current tyres (2.4 Rubber Queens) are high volume, relatively strong and add quite a bit of cushion. Swapping to a lighter tyre will probably make the ride feel even rougher, because there’s less air between you and the ground.

Since your goal is a “functional hardtail”, I’d keep what you’ve got and look at making adjustments elsewhere. Run lower pressures in your tyres to soften the ride and check your body position. If you’re finding a blue run too rough with huge tyres then you’re probably putting too much weight on your hands.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I didn’t have these tyres on when I did the blue run, I had the Geax Pluma, rigid forks and foam grips.

mattyfez

I was looking at burts to replace a ralph on my rear.. Couldn’t find them much less than £35… Found a ralph evo for £25

tomhoward

Out of interest, what does it weigh now?

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Bang on 23lb.

tomhoward

Trouble is, each thing you uprgrade won’t give you massive losses, so it’ll have to be lots of little losses. Apart from tyres, there’s a good 1-1.5lbs to be shaved there. After that I suppose cranks, bars and seat post to carbon, that’s probably a pound, for about £500 (less on eBay/from China) carbon rims might drop a bit of but won’t help with the rough ride. Are your brakes particularly lumpen? What size rotors?

Reckon you could get it sub 20lbs but it might cost you a fair bit, though not mortgage money

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Cheers mate, got a Carbon post I’ve shortened too. Brakes are XT. Rotors are Alligator Aries 180mm/160mm 92g/78g

What I have found as I upgrade parts is it’s not costing me too much as I’m selling the replaced part at a similar price I’m paying for the new one.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Kalloy Uno stem used to be the weight weenies fave. Available on ebay for next to nowt. Acetone will remove the shitty graphics.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KALLOY-UNO-100-x-31-8mm-17-Degree-AL-7050-Road-MTB-Ultra-Light-Stem-Black-/131556999177?hash=item1ea1688009:g:LycAAOSwPhdU4xFF

Dunno what a Thomson stem weighs, probably lots though.

My mate got one of these for his hill climb bike. Cheap and light. Make your own padding/cover and it’ll be lighter than a charge saddle.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3K-Full-Carbon-Fiber-Mountain-Bike-Bicycle-Cycling-Cushion-Hollow-Saddle-Seat-/311354158836?hash=item487e276ef4:g:ResAAOSwPcVVyB-U

Lightweight semi slick on the rear will probably “feel” faster which is what you want.

Grips are personal pref, but anything other than lock ons would save weight. Odi Longnecks with the flanges cut off is what I’d use!

Flat carbon bars.

What seatpost do you have?

tomhoward

Based on the quality of £13 Chinese carbon products seen elsewhere on this forum, not sure I’d risk a saddle….

Features:
    100% Brand new and high quality
    Anti-slipping lining with adjustable drawstring
    This is a high quality saddle for mountain bike, this is designed buttock protection, wear proof
    A very nice saddle, good quality, light weight, good ventilation, mountain bike road bike, folding universal
    And these perfect craftsmanship seat cushions not just bring you with the comfort but also bring you
    with well protection for your bicycle seats

Not sure if my reaction is 😆 or 😯

RobHilton
    Free Member

Singlespeed

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I’m having one of those stems, that saddle looks uncomfy though!

I’ve actually got lock ons, just seen ESI (my favourite grips) sell silicone ones at 43g for £13

I’ve got an Exotic Carbon Post.

It’s crossed my mind to go SS, but I’ve moved house to a really hilly area and don’t fancy taking on those hills on a SS after a full shift on my feet.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Features:
    100% Brand new and high quality
    Anti-slipping lining with adjustable drawstring
    This is a high quality saddle for mountain bike, this is designed buttock protection, wear proof
    A very nice saddle, good quality, light weight, good ventilation, mountain bike road bike, folding universal
    And these perfect craftsmanship seat cushions not just bring you with the comfort but also bring you
    with well protection for your bicycle seats

Sold! 😆

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The saddle maybe needs a rethink then, you might need to spend big money to get something comfy and light, unless you get lucky on ebay.

I’d get a setback carbon post and a long stem, which’ll probably put you in a more aero/efficient position for pedalling hard and fast.

Also, consider some lightweight pedals (eggbeaters?) and some light clippy in shoes.

RobHilton
    Free Member

I hear you on SS thing, but you will get used to it – eventually…

My whippet is SS with carbon lefty and nearly everything carbon without being silly. Egg beaters would save a fair bit over flats

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Yeah I think pedals are definately an area I can shave some off.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Flats to egg beaters has to be worth seeing 🙂
    Has to be worth considering how it will ride after these mods

DT78
    Free Member

Don’t bother spending on upgrading that. It is a perfect second bike to a proper flat out xc machine. Good time to be buying at the moment. Just look for what ever Scott scale fits your budget. They are rideable and rapid. Of course I then spent a small fortune on unnecessary carbon wheels and xtr upgrades

ac282

For 26″ wheels you could probably pick up some podiums with revolution spokes fairly cheap.

hugo
    Free Member

For degla blue?

Seriously, I wouldn’t focus your time and cash on upgrades and lightness. Book some coaching, go on a bike holiday, once you’re at a new level buy a new bike.

Talking about upgrading seatposts to carbon for example just doesn’t make logical sense in the real world.

edit: and I like degla!

njee20
    Free Member

For 26″ wheels you could probably pick up some podiums with revolution spokes fairly cheap.

I was talking to someone recently about that, I think it’s a couple of years too late for the 26″ XC race stuff, he found a real dearth of nice wheels and things, which he’d expected to find loads of.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

It’s not for just Degla blue, it’s for all the local trails near me too, commuting.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

To be fair to OP – he hasn’t said why he wants a light bike. Maybe it’s not about speed…maybe he’s been struggling to get it on his car roof….

shermer75
    Free Member

Looks like tyres are your biggest and easiest weight saving here. I’m a big fan of Schwalbe Racing Ralph and Nobby Nics, only 550g or so for a 2.4″ tyre (x26″). Not sure if 2.4″ will fit in your frame but if it does it’ll give a reasonable amount of cushioning too. Also a big fan of running tubeless.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Weight Savings for XC Bike’ is closed to new replies.