Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Weight reduction suggestions – Is it worth the hassle & Expense? Pics inside …
  • letmetalktomark

***First of I know I don't have the lightest frame to start with and yes I acknowledge the limitations of loosing weight with a steel framed build***

Thought I would get that ^^ off of my chest first 😆

As pictured the bike currently weighs 24.2lbs and is a Large frame

Am I kidding myself that it could weigh much less without spending mega bucks 😕

Pic:

Spec:

Frame: 2010 Pipedream Sirius 853 (19’’)

Fork: 2010 Rockshox Recon Race 120mm

Headset: Ritchey WCS
    Stem: Thomson 100mm
    Handlebar: Easton Monkey Bar

Brakes: Marura Louise BAT

Cassette: Superstar Components SS kit
    Chain: SRAM PC1
    Cranks: Middleburn RS7
    Chainring: Middleburn Uno
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano Square Taper
    Pedals: Shimano

Hub Skewers: Ringle
    Rims: DT (Branded Magura)
    Hubs: DT (Branded Magura)
    Nipples: DT
    Spokes: DT

Saddle: SDG Ti
    Seatpost: Hope
    Seatpost Binder: Hope

clubber
    Free Member

Am I kidding myself that it could weigh much less without spending mega bucks

Define mega bucks.

Swap Recons for SIDs
    Swap Thomson stem for one of the many lighter choices
    Swap bars for light carbon ones
    Non-QR seat clamp
    Hubs may well be heavy depending on what model they actually are
    Hope seatpost isn't light IIRC
    Ditto the saddle

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I can't see the pic here, but my first bet would be tyres, then rims.

qwerty
    Free Member

any weight you loose you won't notice – unless you spend mega bucks, in which case a Ti frame might be a starting point

nickjb
    Free Member

Cut the steerer.

clubber
    Free Member

Oh and lighter pedals – normal SPD ones rather than caged.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Looks very very nice as it is.

Is the weight bugging you?

SB

ahwiles
    Free Member

that weighs less than my road bike.

PJM1974
    Free Member

At 24lb I'd be extremely smug.

If you want to lose three quarters of a pound off it then you could swap to Eggbeater pedals or even Crank Bros Candys.

You might also lose a bit of weight swapping to an I-Beam post and saddle and going ghetto tubeless.

ahwiles
    Free Member

ghetto tubeless isn't a weight-saver.

i tried it and i weighed it.

you take out 200grams of 26" innertube, and put in 100grams of 20" innertube, and 100grams of sealant.

and 50 grams of electrical tape building up the rim, and you still have to carry an inner tube in case it goes wrong.

poppa
    Free Member

Why d'you want/need it lighter?

chakaping
    Free Member

Sounds a nice weight, but are the wheels heavy? I know some DT rims can be a bit weighty.

I've got my handjob down to around 24 or 25lb and wouldn't want it much lighter really.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

At 24lb I'd be extremely smug.

My large Scandal weighs 23lb, it has gears.

Change the frame, those new pipedreams weigh a ton.

jonb
    Free Member

Light weight wheels and forks. Sids, rebas for the forks.

Hope hoops for the wheels with stan's 355 rims run tubeless with a light set of tyres.

As above though, what bugs you about the weight, it makes a difference but shaving a few 100g won't massively change the ride.

LongboardSi
    Free Member

rigid fork…?

silly light tubes? what tyres you running? could probably loose some weight, but all with potential handling/reliability issues in some circumstances.

BigJohn

Shorten the brake hoses. And stop worrying.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Conti Speed king (or Race king) supersonics with conti supersonic innertubes would probably get it to 23lbs, tho I can't vouch for their performance.

letmetalktomark

Cheers for all of the comments and suggestions.

Weight savings noted – will look into pedals

The plan all along with this build was to get a SS up together that would be competent to race in some novice races around Thetford this winter.

The only reason I inquired about the weight is that I would like the bike to be in the best condition it can be in ….. within reason (££)

Then I only have the rider to blame 😆

BTW: Tyres are IRC Mibros (or something like that) circa 520g each as they are 2.1s

the-muffin-man

You could lose 1/2 pound by swapping the saddle and seatpost – but it would cost the best part of £200 though for an SLR saddle and KCNC seatpost!!

hora
    Free Member

Have a poo before you ride it.

RealMan
    Free Member

Have a poo before you ride it.

+1.

Also, how much do you weigh? If you're carrying an extra couple of stone, maybe think about losing that first.. 😀

Rigid fork is the obvious thing for losing the most weight.

Then lighter tyres.

Then lighter wheels.

And you could still get a steel frame and get it under 20lbs. My mate has several steel framed bikes that are 17-19lbs. But maybe not with that pipedream, I've heard its a fatty.

If you went for some lighter wheels, you could get some v brake rims, which means you could go for really light hubs, and then get v brakes and lose some weight.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

Start with tyres, tubes, then go to rims spokes and hubs. Ive just got some hope hoops with the pro2s and stans crest rims. They aren't ridiculously light but quite good for the money.

There was someone selling Ti seatposts on ebay a while ago for £45, were fairly light i think. Also you can get a saddle off ebay for £30 that weights just under 200 grams claimed weight. Ive not checked but its very light. here it is – http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/bioflex-carbon-base-titanium-rail-190grams-bike-saddle-/270582781059?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item3efffd9483

saying all that 24lbs is good. I think my 18" inbred weighs around that with stupid light stans tyres. Should be able to get it a little lower if i put them on my new hope hoops wheels however im going down the nobby nic/racing ralph route. Still should lose a bit of weight though. deore hubs/317 rims and non butted spokes are HEAVVYYY

edit: realman has a point. Nice rigid exotic/pace fork made of CF will reduce the weight loads!

scruff
    Free Member

40mm stem, 1 finger brake levers, slick tyres.

DT78
    Free Member

That seems light already! Over the last 18months I've been perfecting a similarish bike (duster, though with gears)

My plan of action for your bike would be –

cheapish upgrades….
    Foam grips….I like the superstar ones
    New Qr's…again I use superstar ones
    ibeam saddle and post (even though I've broken 2 posts I'd still use them)
    ashima rotors
    pedals
    schwalbe tyres (2.1 RRon / RRalph)

expensive upgrades…
    reba SLs / SIDs
    carbon bars, probably eastons
    new wheels, proIII crest
    I'm pretty sure BATs are quite heavy so could save 200g ish by going to hope tech x2s (though the older mini's are slightly lighter…)
    new frame 🙂

br
    Free Member

It weighs only a bit lighter than my (large) 456Ti, and that has gears!

Try an SDG I-Beam seat and post, non-QR seatpost clamp, replace all steel bolts with Ti bolts, carbon bar and lighter stem (Easton EA90?).

And lose the surplus bottle cage bolts.

And if feeling wealthy, Formula R1 brakes.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

are you sure it weighs 24lb – i am doubtful

Curly68
    Free Member

I was at the shop when Mark picked it up and it weighed 26lbs on the scales then. So if he has replaced anything since, he has lost 2lbs already.

radoggair
    Free Member

personally, if you want to be competent in races then you need gears

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Weight reduction suggestions – Is it worth the hassle & Expense? Pics inside …’ is closed to new replies.