• This topic has 27 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by momo.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • weight loss
  • organic355
    Free Member

Right I have got 4 months to lose 10-14 pounds for my wedding, Ive already lost about 10lbs training for a recent 10k and I cycle to work every day (5 mile round trip). I dont really eat that unhealthily but do partake in a "few" beers at the weekend. Other than keeping the running and cycling going what else can I do to shift a few more pounds as i seem to have plateaued at around 12st. Ideally I would like to be 11 to 11.5 stone.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

i cut out bread and the weight has dropped.

change form beer to vodka 😉

organic355
    Free Member

but vodkas made from potatoes, isnt that carbohydrate? 😀

nickc

Didn't we do this already?

Move more, eat less. Seems to be the sage advice…

uplink
    Free Member

You need to either eat 400 calories less per day or burn 400 more – or a combination of the two

ish 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

10lbs training for a recent 10k

Impressive. I put on 2lbs training for a HM.

surfer
    Free Member

Without knowing your "build" its difficult to estimate how easy it would be to shift the weight. If you still carrying a lot of fat (no offence meant) then it may be quite easy. If you are "ripped" then it may be more difficult or even impossible without losing a lot of strength.
    If its still there to lose then simply increase your running mileage to whatever you can manage. Something that worked for me was adding extra 3-4 mile runs early in the morning.

organic355
    Free Member

10lbs training for a recent 10k

it was combined with cutting back on tasty stuff like bacon rolls and crisps!! 😆

5thElefant
    Free Member

ECA (google it). As long as you're not a drug tested athlete and don't mind palpitations, sweats and hunting imaginary burglars in the middle of the night it'll sort you out in a month.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I cant believe anyone could put on weight training for a half marathon.

Done a couple myself and cant help but lose weight which really isnt what I want to do. Lose power for both footy and cycling and my arms end up looking even skinnier.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I cant believe anyone could put on weight training for a half marathon

I guess it could be a combination of "Ah, i've done exercise I need to eat more to recover", and "I'm knackered from that exercise, best not do anything for the rest of the day", that and "yeah, i've earned the extra 3 pints" 🙂

belgianbob

I lost a stone by eating pies and cake for lunch, fish and chips every night and 2 – 3 pints to top it off…
    Oh, and cycling 60 miles a day. For months on end.

On second thoughts, just losing the beers WILL help, and quite quickly, if you currently drink a fair bit. Alcohol is nearly as calorie rich as fat, and beer has plenty of sugars to mess up your insulin leves as well, both of which will make weight control all the more difficult.

DrP

Write down what you eat in a typical day.
    Prepare the same, but with less of it.
    Eat only what you prepare.

The concept of weight gain and weight loss is fantastically simple, yet many people struggle with it because the execution requires self control and will power.

Too many people know what they should eat, or how much they should eat, but don't because *insert any excuse here* (typically "I don't want to be hungry" etc etc).

The simple fact is, if you are going to lose weight by eating less, then you must accept you will have a degree of hunger – it will pass with time (most people aren't actually hungry – they just have an appetite – two different things…

DrP (who can probably lose half a kilo in 2 night shifts!!)

uponthedowns
    Free Member

You need to either eat 400 calories less per day or burn 400 more – or a combination of the two

Yes assuming his current food intake just maintains his weight he'll lose about 1lb per week. Sounds doable.

Kramer
    Free Member

Are you a boy or a girl? How tall are you?

I've lost 31 lbs in 4 months, but I had a decent starting weight (15st, down to 12 3/4).

Just exercised more and ate less – it's still dropping. Actually I only have an evening meal if I'm actually hungry.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

I think people fear feeling a little hungry, but its actually not as bad as people expect it to be.

If you like food, its actually much more enjoyable if you are properly hungry before you eat. It very easy to get into the habit of eating 'because its lunchtime/teatime' when you are not the least bit empty and thats when I find I put on weight.

samuri
    Free Member

Do more running and cycling. I know there are dissenters but with all the technical jargon out of the way, the more work you do, the more energy you will need and the more fat you will burn.

I'm also of the opinion (and this is where the experts will disagree with me) that the harder you work, the more energy you will use and so will try to fit as much pain exercise in as I can. When I commute, I ride pretty much as quick as I can, both ways, with a dirty great bag filled with clothes and laptop on my back. My car uses more fuel when I skin it, so I'm assuming I do too.

surfer
    Free Member

Samuri. You are a man after my own heart.

When I was fit a few years ago I struggled to keep the weight on!
    I was running about 10 times a week and ate everything that wasnt nailed down!
    Run/cycle more.

NikNak7890
    Free Member

TThere are those that will go on and on about GI foods, and complex carbs, and keeping your heart-rate around 60% for the maximum fat burning range,

Cut down on the Alcohol and extend your daily ride.

Simple advice really.

BlingBling
    Free Member

Drink only water. No tea, no coffee, no alcohol, just water.

You'd be shocked at the result.

samuri
    Free Member

how would tea or coffee affect you? Just interested. I drink a lot of tea.

AndyP
    Free Member

No tea, no coffee, no alcohol, just water
    word.
    no tea = no craving for bacon butty to go with it = weight loss
    no coffee = sleep all day, don't eat meals = weight loss
    no alcohol = no fun. No kebabs either, mind = weight loss.

organic355
    Free Member

I only drink black tea, no milk or sugar anyway so i dont think stopping would have any effect.

i did read somewhere that caffein affects the way you store fat ore something?

discbrakediva
    Free Member

I'll willingly give you a dose of the gastroenteritis I'm suffering from; should do the job nicely! 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

Doing a bit of an an internet trawl, there are a number of sites that suggest that caffeine actually encourages fat burning and also that caffeine has no long term side effects at all.

http://www.fitwise.com/benefits_caffeine.asp

(Fat burning is about half way down).

coffeeking
    Free Member

Tea/coffee make no odds to me, but drinking lots of anything makes me lose my hunger (or at least replace the acidy hunger with a sloshy wet horrible mild hunger) so it makes me eat less.

momo

coffeeking – Member
    Tea/coffee make no odds to me, but drinking lots of anything makes me lose my hunger (or at least replace the acidy hunger with a sloshy wet horrible mild hunger) so it makes me eat less.

Says the man who calls himself COFFEEKING 😆

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘weight loss’ is closed to new replies.