Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Weight difference between Arch EX and Flow 29er?
  • sambob
    Free Member

Arch EX Hope Hoops won’t be available until the at least the end of Feb, so considering getting Flows instead. What’s the weight difference like, and is it a worthy sacrifice for stiffness? Can’t afford to get a bike shop to build me a set of Arch EX hoops until the middle/end of feb, by which time hoops will be available anyway, and I need a set of wheels for Hit the North 🙁 Will be used on a Salsa Horsethief, I weigh approx 76kg in riding kit.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Arch Ex 29ers are about 80g lighter than the Flow 29er (447g vs 532g). I would, and did, just go for the Flows.

the_lecht_rocks

I love my arch ex. They are more noodly than flows but the weight pen isn’t worth my using flow.
    I run nob nic 2.25 tubeless and they’re great…..
    I am however going to give the light bicycle carbon rims a go…..once gravity sports gets them in…

sambob
    Free Member

Hmm… Fancy lending me your wheels Matt? 😉 I’d hate to buy the flows then wish I’d gone for the Arch EX’s, but can’t imagine buying the Arch EX’s then wishing I’d got flows. I’m not heavy and don’t ride particularly hard or do big jumps/drops. Forgotten Moonglu have Arch EX at a good price, might have to go for them.

Gee76
    Free Member

I believe hope are about to start doing Arch EX hoops (according to the London bike shoe reports) so may be found at a slightly better price shortly if it helps!.

bowglie

I’m not heavy and don’t ride particularly hard or do big jumps/drops.

My guess is that you might be best going for the Arch EX’s. FWIW, I’ve ridden the same 29er FS bike with Flow and Arch EX wheels on it (over the same rocky 1.5-2.0 hour training circuits). I could definately feel the extra stiffness and tyre stability on the Flow rims on fast rough descents – however, I do weigh about 90kg in full kit.
    Now use the Arch EX’s on my hardtail and they’re perfect on that – far less flexy than Crest’s, but still not bone crushingly stiff IME.

HTH

IA

About to put some flows on a horsethief frame this evening!

Building it up more AM than XC though and I am nearly 90kg.

On the XC bike i’ve some amercian classic XC wheels as I wanted something more robust/stiff than crests, they’re also lighter wheels. I have to say, they’ve been excellent – worth a look? Little more money though.

sambob
    Free Member

That’s what I’m hoping for Gee76, but I don’t think I’ll be able to get any in time to ride the bike before Hit The North. If Hope had a clear date I’d be less worried, but it’s the not knowing that’s the problem :/

sambob
    Free Member

This probably one of the toughest decisions I’ve ever had to make. Blue or red hubs?

simonm
    Free Member

Is that weight difference the same for 26″ Arch EX VS FLOW ?

FieldMarshall
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Weight difference between Arch EX and Flow 29er?’ is closed to new replies.