Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Weeride centre mounted kiddie seats
  • ivantate
    Free Member

I am looking at a way of getting the boy out biking. (9months old at the moment)
    I spend alot of time in Italy and in the village kids are carted around on bikes from birth. Alot of people use a centre mount seat for the younger child and put the older one/shopping etc… on the back.

Have been around a few shops to have a look at seats and fit him in and now really dont need to be told that it is dangerous to sit in the centre with no explanation how it can be more dangerous than sitting on the back. Atleast you can see the kid and whether its too rough/fast, they are asleep or want to interact a bit.

Have considered a trailer but its a bit remote and alot of where I want to ride is reasonably rough if you are bouncing along in a trailer. Also alot of bike width walking tracks too.

So have found (thanks to Ebay) WeeRide seats that seem to do almost what I want. Has anyone else used them?
    are they good, bad etc…. or any other suggestions.

ivantate
    Free Member

Have been looking in the UK at the moment as carrying one over from Italy on the plane may cost £40.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

i dont know if they are any good or not, but they had these in our local Asda living store.

mr.rusty
    Free Member

I have used one since my son was just over 2 years old, he is comimng up to 4 now and we still use it – even though his feet are getting too big for the plastic footwells.

They seats are quite small and the straps only just fit him when we first had it. Now he doesn't have either the straps or the centre pillar arrangement – that got taken off about a year ago. It's very good for small kids but now he is older he holds on to the handlebars.

I have always reckoned that he is safer than in a back seat, I had one of those for a while but it unbalanced the bike – also couldn't see what he was doing! With the centre seat we chat away and it's a really joyful experience. I have gone out at least once a week for all the time we have had it – average ride is about 8 miles and he is comfortable. It gets left mounted on one bike – I would hate to have to fit it every time – and although you can leave the mounting bar on the bike it is a bit heavy and reduces the stand-over quite a bit.

The other problem now he is larger is that his helmet is resting about 2cm under my chin!

I am considering getting one of these as a replacement – but they are a bit pricey!

ivantate
    Free Member

Thanks, reckon its probably what I need.
    (as well as a specific child carrying bike too)

richardk
    Free Member

I really like the weeride system, stable, you can see the kid and they can see you. Both of my kids used it and enjoyed it. Does work best on hardtails due to fitting.

About to sell mine if you are interested in a good condition second hand one? £45

konabunny
    Free Member

Blow the budget and buy a Christiania bike?

stuey
    Free Member

I use one with a 3yr old – she's almost too big for it – and enjoys 'steering' and pulling up on the front brake to do endos – But so much easier to keep an eye on than a rear carrier.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Weeride centre mounted kiddie seats’ is closed to new replies.