Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • WeeRide – Ace!
  • TheFlyingOx

Just a quick note if anyone’s thinking about getting one. They’re brill!
    Been out for a quick 5 miles with Mini Ox (14 months), and he laughed pretty much the whole way round. Especially the fast downhilly puddle bits that splashed him from head to toe.
    And if it mounts on my bike, It’ll mount on anything:

lucien

Whats it like on gaps, doubles, tables, drops and woodwork?

chiefgrooveguru

What frame is that Mr Ox?

TheFlyingOx

Whats it like on gaps, doubles, tables, drops and woodwork?

Not sure about the others, but it leaned up against our garden bench like a champ.

It’s a Pronghorn PR6-LT, chiefgrooveguru. Great bike, unfortunately not made anymore.

chiefgrooveguru

Cheers! Just about to order one and wondering if it’ll fit on my forthcoming full-sus as well as my hardtail.

sandwicheater

Was just pondering child seats for the wee one as he approaches 1 year.

How does it clamp to your seat post?

I’ve a dropper so a little concerned it may need to clamp too hard/effect the post.

tonyd

So long as you don’t overtighten it I think you’d be alright on a dropper. It doesn’t need to be mega tight.

If you like the Weeride then you should start watching out for a LOCT as the next seat. They were discontinued a while ago and are like rocking horse poo but are brilliant. I managed to find one just as my eldest was ready for it and I can’t recommend them enough. The youngest still uses it from time to time but I might sell it come the summer, will put it up on here first if/when I do.

Edit: Good excuse for a pitcher 🙂

That’s an Islabikes trailerbike the eldest is on. Also discontinued but brilliant. Eeh, bikes!

warns74
    Free Member

My brother had one which I borrowed and there was no room for my knees when I was pedalling? Ended up riding like John Wayne!

tonyd

My brother had one which I borrowed and there was no room for my knees when I was pedalling? Ended up riding like John Wayne!

That’s the downside to any mid mounted seat, not great on the knees on big climbs!

iolo
    Free Member

What happens when you crash with jnr on board?

TheFlyingOx

It’s just bolts through a split clamp on either end. The headtube clamp is really quite slim, so should fit most bikes. Less than 10mm of available space to clamp onto on mine and it fits fine. The rear clamps onto your seatpost. The bolts for the rear are fine on Bro-in-law’s Orange Clockwork, but only just long enough to clamp onto my seatpost, so if you’re going onto a dropper you’ll probably need to purchase longer bolts.

TheFlyingOx

I believe he’s 5x more likely to die, what with it being a forward facing seat.

In reality, believe it or not, the fact that my 1-year old son is on the bike with me tends to curb my enthusiasm for the rougher stuff.

iolo
    Free Member

Only askin like. I have a nasty scar on my left thigh from falling over at around 3 mph in a car park.

chiefgrooveguru

I don’t think it’ll fit on my Spitfire because of the zero stack headset but we shall see… It will fit on the Soul and that seems a slightly more sensible bike for taking a baby out for rides! Today is my first day of stay-at-home Dad (part-time) life and I wish I’d ordered the seat already, I think she’d have enjoyed a trip out on two wheels. Ah well, next week…

pictonroad

yep, even better on a cargo bike, the curly bars mean you can keep pedalling easily and the cargo bit means all sorts of fun can come along too.

I advise you to carry an extra top, they WILL fall asleep and it makes a handy pillow.

brakes
    Free Member

it’s not much fun when they fall asleep if they’re little and can’t reach the pad so their face is battering off it instead. you have to ride one handed with one hand keeping junior supported.
    otherwise BRILLIANT!

miketually
    Free Member

Presumably, the children are well wrapped-up in cotton wool?

timmys

Thread bumpage.

There seems to be three models of Weeride (Classic/Deluxe/SafeFront), any comments on whether the more expensive models are worth it? Any offers about that people are aware of?

Also what’s the youngest age that people find them usable at? The sprog is currently 8.5 months and the blurb says “Recommended for ages from 1-4 years. Though can be used as soon as neck muscles are strong enough ie 6-9 months.”

jam-bo

I got a price match from go outdoors. Paid about £60 I think.

tonyd

We had the deluxe, friends had the classic. Deluxe just has slightly more padding in the seat and head rest thingummy. It was only about £5 more when we got it so worth it IMO.

cxthompson
    Free Member

Weerides are fab, although ours is now superfluous due to my purchase of a Kona Ute.

chiefgrooveguru

I took Guru Jr to Sing & Sign today on the Weeride – first proper outing! Fits much better on my old Boardman than on my 140mm Soul with Gravity Dropper because the Weeride can be fixed higher relative to the seatpost and comparatively lower at the front so she isn’t reclined back where my knees want to be. Add a layback post and shift the seat right back and I think we should be able to go on some nice little XC rides together once the mud diminishes.

chiefgrooveguru

Just about to return on our test-run a few weeks back:

She has a helmet now which I suspect would be useless in a crash because it’s so hard to get it to stay in the right place on someone so small and sceptical of headwear – however it’s good for keeping hats/hoods in place.

iain1775
    Free Member

Yep best bike purchase I made ever
    Mine likes to point out all the horse poo with a loud shout of “horse poos Daddy”
    She also shouts at walkers to get out the way with a “Ding ding, moooove it” 🙂

Stainypants

TonyD snap, this is what happens when you have 3 kids too close

simonr2011
    Free Member

I too have a Weeride and we both love it. I had my little girl on it at just after 6 months. You do have to adjust your legs so ride like John Wayne but the view for both makes up for that.

Roll on summertime 🙂 or at least warmer dryer weather.

quantockspaul
    Free Member

Also what’s the youngest age that people find them usable at?

When I tried my daughter at around 9 months, she was not very keen on the experience as she didn’t want to be held in place by the straps and wasn’t using her hands to hold on.
    I had a trailer for nursery runs so stuck with that for a while. Once she was walking herself, and scooting on a trike i tried again. She was able to use her core much better to stay in place and hold on when she wanted and loved it.
    My only comment for age is, they’re ready when they’re ready.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘WeeRide – Ace!’ is closed to new replies.