Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Weekend near Cannock Chase – what to ride?
  • chrispo
    Free Member

I’m based in Stone next weekend while my daughter kayaks but can get away both mornings for some MTBing. I don’t mind lapping the Monkey and Dog endlessly, despite the braking bumps, but everyone says the rest of the Chase is better…

I’ve found an MBR route online but otherwise what is there and can I realistically expect to find it solo? Is it like the Forest of Dean where you can just explore and never get properly lost?

And is there anything starting from Milford or ideally Woseley Bridge so I don’t have to ride/drive so far to get to the start?

Cheers

timmys

Don’t know the area but I do recall that there was a decent looking LBS in Stone featured on this ‘ere website, maybe this lot; http://www.velo-m.co.uk

Might be able to help.

Suggsey
    Free Member

There’s stacks of natural trails across the Chase and not many roads so if you can orientate yourself by the road layout and stuff you can see from high points IE Power Station over at Brereton be the Communication tower towards Hednesford it is quite easy to go explore ( I have great pigdgeon sense and my mate still gets lost/confused sometimes but I’m training him well). Shame you haven’t got a Garmin Touring with OS mapping on record your ride, it marks your start point zoom out on the map to work your way back to start point.

SiofCannock
    Free Member

Take the A513 from Wolseley Bridge towards Milford. Take the left signposted Seven Springs. Park there and jump on the blue route in either direction. If you look out you’ll see exits and possibly entrances of natural trails. You may have to be prepared to push up to find the starts though. Or hang around at the Sherbrook Valley stepping stones and follow/stalk other riders.

tymbian
    Free Member

The Long Mynd isn’t too far away..

BigJohn

Milford or seven springs (within 1 mile of wolseley bridge are great places to start. Some of the best stuff around there. You will get lost. I’ve been riding there over 50 years and still get lost.

scruff
    Free Member

There’s enough trails around Milford and brocton for both mornings if your ok with exploring. you can get to Birches Valley easily from Wolseley via scenic scenic bw towards etchinghill.

scruff
    Free Member

Oh and plenty of riding in hanchurch which is nearer stone.

chrispo
    Free Member

Thanks guys, looks like I’ll just go and get lost then!

jekkyl

just over an hour to the white peak area around bakewell and chatsworth, a lot more altitude than you’ll get in cannock.

chrispo
    Free Member

Yeah, I thought about the Peak District but I just haven’t got time.

I need somewhere I can’t get too lost so I can get back in time to spend all afternoon shivering on a wet and windswept riverbank awaiting my daughter’s two minutes of glory. Sometimes I wish I was a soccer mom 🙂

wilko1999
    Free Member

You can get lost in FoD trust me 😳

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Weekend near Cannock Chase – what to ride?’ is closed to new replies.