Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Weekend in Shaghai: what to do / see
  • cheers_drive

I have weekend there to myself whilst out there next week for work. Any suggestion on what to do or see would be much appreciated.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Great typo!

Whereabouts are you going to be staying?

If possible, stroll to the Bund at sunset. Astonishing.
    Nanjing Road is fascinating. Hawkers are hilarious, will offer you almost anything!
    Will try and remember some of the restaurants I went to.

Oh, and always have a photo of your hotel, as well as the name in Chinese. Many of the taxi drivers are illiterate and the photo can be a massive help!

perthmtb
    Free Member

Stay in your hotel room and watch movies! I hated the place. Most rude, frenetic, money & status oriented place I’ve been in China.

cheers_drive

Classic typo that one 😳

I’m staying at the Equitorial, good tip about taking a photo of the hotel

I’ve also got a few evenings in Shenzen earlier in the week

mudshark
    Free Member

Go up some sky scrapers 🙂

There are some ok temples about but I went to better ones elsewhere.

This garden:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yu_Garden

Guess this market is gone now:

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Most rude, frenetic, money & status oriented place I’ve been in China.

Agreed. I found that strangely fascinating, though! Amused me that (in the area mentioned below) across the road from the First National Congress of the Communist party of China, there now sits a Lamborghini garage. Which is next to a Rolls Royce garage. 😀

Food – Some great stuff around Xingye Road, No of Xintiandi station. There’s a Din Tai Fung (Not strictly local, but ace!) and IIRC, Xiaonanguo was also good in that area.

I’ve always stayed at the Marriott Tomorrow Square, and there’s a very good Chinese restaurant up high in there. Good for night time views and truly epic teas!

It’s an odd place, at once fascinating and repulsive, but quite the experience!

tillydog
    Free Member

The glass floor ‘Sky walk’ in the Jin Mao tower was pretty good, but the Shanghai Pearl has been built since I was there which also has a glass floor and might be better.

The Bund area is pretty interesting. There seemed to be a steady stream of weddings in/on the river near the Oriental Riverside hotel. There’s a weird underwater “sightseeing” tunnel under the river (which we found hilarious) that links the two areas.

Wide choice of Rolex ‘tribute’ watches from men in long coats, Arthur Daley style.

Garry_Lager

Thought the oriental pearl tower (one in mudshark’s picture) was great when it’s quiet. Hardly any queues, great views in the revolving restaurant, food good and not especially expensive for such a tourist hot spot.
    Also been up when it’s busy and it was horrendous – interminable, claustropobic queuing with no escape.

Hired a bike last time I was there, a ropey giant from one of the bike shops. Always good fun to ride round foreign cities, but wouldn’t have said it was anything special. Had the idea that you’d be sharing the road with 10000 other cyclists, but that’s prob not being true in central Shanghai for 20 years.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Weekend in Shaghai: what to do / see’ is closed to new replies.