Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Weekend in Pembrokeshire/St David's – tips please
  • jeff

As title, I am off to pembrokeshire for the first time at the weekend.

Apart from whale watching, what other things should we see + do over there?

Thanks!

elliptic
    Free Member

Boat trip to see the puffins on Skomer if that's your sort of thing?

Or there's a boat company at Solva who'll take you sea fishing for mackerel, though when we went out the boat was followed by a clued-up seal who stole the fish off the hooks before we could reel them in…!

The coast path along the Newgale – Solva – St Davids – Whitesands Bay stretch is all very scenic along the clifftops, there's a bus service along the main road so you can do one-way walks easily enough.

Can hire surfboards/bodyboards and wetsuits at Newgale sands & (probably) Whitesands bay.

The Sloop Inn in Porthgain is a good place to watch the sun set over a pint 🙂

geoffj

Food
    1. Farmers Arms in St Davids os good for classic pub food, best enjoyed on the terrace at the back.
    2. CWtch in St Davids is very good
    3. The Bench is very average – service is shite IMHO. Good Ice cream though.
    4. Pharmacy in Solva is good.
    5. Refectory at the Cathedral is pretty good and a nice quirky dining room.
    6. The Sloop at Porthgain is Good, but The Shed is very good – excellent seafood.
    The best breakfast and coffee is at Jones.
    The Pebbles Cafe is poor, but the gift shop is OK for higher end tatt.

ToDo
    Tourist Information in St David's should be your first stop
    Walk the coast path
    Beaches – Caerfai is my favourite
    Cathedral – worth an hour of anyone's time
    Walk from Abereiddy to Porthgain – Sloop and back again is a nice way to spend an afternoon.
    If you are feeling energetic, coastearing is the local adreneline sport of choice (TYF do guided trips)

HTH

large418
    Free Member

There's also TYF in St Davids – they do climbing , coasteering, surfing, kayaking activities – half and full day. My kids did the coasteering a few years ago and it was about £30-35 each for a half day. Brilliant fun.

The Farmers Arms in St Davids is a great friendly pub with good food – not as pricey as the Sloop in Porthgain.

If you like swimming – there is a Blue Lagoon at Abereiddy – good outdoor lagoon safe for swimming and jumping off big ledges.

Also, fast boat trips to Ramsey, pick a choppy day and it is so exhilerating to speed over the sea at 30mph (Thousand Islands are great). If you want peace and quiet – get a day trip to Ramsey on a slow boat.

Not much mtbing unless you go over to the Preseli's, and with the rain over the past weeks it will be waterlogged so don't bother.

There's enough to do if you like walking and being outside.

If you want amusement arcades you'll be very disappointed…….

jeff

Awesome! Thanks for the tips 🙂

jeff

Back from a good weekend away –

Second the farmers arms comments. Had a pint in the sloop but no sunset on Saturday! Boat trip cancelled due to choppiness unfortunately.

Couldn't get into Jones, but had a good coffee down the road.

Pebbles (only place with a table) – service was slow and prices/portions not good.

Got a short walk in on the coastal path.

I think we'll be back, probably paying Solva a visit.

Thanks again.

Pigface
    Free Member

Abereiddy beach is my fave down there, fun surf if it is working and less crowded that Whitesands.

Solva is lovely, Stackpole and the walk over to Barafundle. Druidstone Hotel was very interesting to visit.

Fresh West, Marlowe Sands St Justinians Lifeboat Station is ok.

Avoid the chippy in Roch, a health hazzard.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Weekend in Pembrokeshire/St David's – tips please’ is closed to new replies.