Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Weekend baking
  • jamiea
    Free Member

Any ideas? It was focaccia and chocolate eclairs last weekend, not sure what do this weekend.

Cheers,
    Jamie

z1ppy

Soda breads always good, also manages to combine your bread/cake theme in one.

FuzzyWuzzy

Was rhubarb crumble and a banana cake for me last weekend

jamiea
    Free Member

Good call, never tried making soda bread. Black pudding on soda bread toast should sort out Sunday’s breakfast!

Cheers,
    Jamie

brakes
    Free Member

are you ****** serious?
    baking?
    weekends are not for baking. I should know, I’m a Baker.
    jebus wept.

ThePinkster

No suggestions here but I’m going to be knocking up some cupcakes & flapjack this weekend.

Might delve into some Parmesan, Parma ham & pine-nut slices after your mention of focaccia though.

If you like your bread there are some great recipes in Dough by Richard Bertinet.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Bread and butter pud with fresh custard or Guiness cake.

binners

Why not try Graeme’s (of this parish) recipe for his legendary Lancashire Bhaji’s (though they’re not actually bhaji’s – more like an absolutely delicious savoury scone

230 ish g of cheese (MEXICANA or MONTERY JACK with Chili’s )
    8 ish Spring Onions
    50g ish of chopped Walnuts
    200g ish of Plain Flour
    2 teaspoons ish of Dijon mustard
    100g ish of softened Butter.

Preheat oven to 190c 375f or Gas mark 5

Grate the cheese into a bowl, thinly slice the onions, add to the cheese, add the Walnuts, then stir in the flour and Mustard.

Melt the butter and add to the bowl, mix well until blended together.

Get a piece about the size of a large egg, mould into a ball, flatten out to about 1/2 inch thick.

Bake for about 15 mins until golden brown.

Leave to cool on the baking tray for 2 or 3 mins.

transfer to a wire rack to cool properly.

jamiea
    Free Member

weekends are not for baking. I should know, I’m a Baker.

Ahh, that’s why I don’t sit in front of the laptop at the weekend wasting away the hours as I do at, err, ‘work’ during the week!

Cheers,
    Jamie

jamiea
    Free Member

Ooo those Lancashire Bhajis look ‘diffrent’, thanks for that!

Cheers,
    Jamie

Sandwich

Paul Hollywoods malt loaf recipe. It’s rather good.

piemonster

How about not baking.

And making truffles instead.

jamiep
    Free Member

ultra-easy malt loaf recipe:

cup and 1/4 all bran or bran flakes
    cup milk
    cup sultanas
    1/2 cup sugar
    mix and leave to rot for 30 mins
    add cup SR flour
    bake on a loaf tin for 45mins at 180

seavers
    Free Member

F bread. I challenge you to produce a half decent Battenburg.

Anna-B
    Free Member

Well I’ve just made another sourdough starter, after the one I made in the week seems to have died, after the one that I was given that was alive and I made a relatively successful sourdough loaf with, died. Not baking exactly – kind of longview baking, perhaps.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I am informed that Mrs gtth has plans for sultana scones (just add raspberry jam and clotted cream) and something(s) upon which she can hone her buttercream piping skills. Probably muffin/cupcake shaped.

I can feel a good 50+ miler coming on in the morning just to get anywhere near calorie neutrality.

Like the look of that malt loaf recipe – and there’s some All Bran going stale in the cupboard too…

sas
    Free Member

Staying with the bread/cake theme, how about some Chelsea buns?

gonetothehills
    Free Member

jamiep – Member

ultra-easy malt loaf recipe:

cup and 1/4 all bran or bran flakes
    cup milk
    cup sultanas
    1/2 cup sugar
    mix and leave to rot for 30 mins
    add cup SR flour
    bake on a loaf tin for 45mins at 180

Just had a slice of this c/o Mrs gtth’s efforts today and it’s absolutely spot on! Thanks jamiep for the recipe – top stuff.

If it helps, this is how she interpreted the recipe with our oven / weighing & measuring stuff:

100g all bran
    250ml semi skimmed milk
    150g sultanas
    125g demerara sugar
    Mix and leave to rot for 30 mins
    Add 150g self raising flour
    Bake in a lined 2lb loaf tin for 1h 15min at Gas 4, but check after an hour.
    Leave to cool in the tin for a short while then turn out onto a wire rack.
    Eat.

Bloody marvelous!

jamiea
    Free Member

Well the sodabread and black pudding was spot on this morning, as where yesterdays American pancakes. Last nights pizza made with the wife’s pesto and mozzarella was really good and dinner is quiche lorraine with a victoria sponge in the oven.

All in all a successful weekend’s baking between the wife and I 😀

Mmmm, malt loaf- will have to give that a go, no malt tho’?!? I’ve got a couple of jars of malt extract for making yeast starters…

Cheers,
    Jamie

_tom_
    Free Member

Is that malt loaf recipe any better than just buying a soreen loaf? How would it go with fruit & fibre instead I wonder?

grum
    Free Member

That bhaji sounds ace, gonna try that. Made some Jamie Oliver recipe brownies a few weeks ago that went down very well.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

The malt loaf is lighter than Soreen – and not as ‘squidgy’ but still works a treat. 24 hours after baking, it’s not as fresh as it was (stored in a tupperware container) so maybe it’s one for the freezer. Mrs ggth did says she mashed the All Bran a bit with the back of a fork during its ‘rotting’ phase. Not sure what it’d be like with the fruity bits from Fruit & Fibre!

It’s got a malty sort of taste; “Barley Malt Flavouring” features at #3 on the ingredients list on the All Bran pack. I guess the thing is, you know (pretty much) what’s gone into it and you’ve got the satisfaction of having made it yourself.

z1ppy

Dear god yet again I was humbled by a friends cooking experimentation, she was bored and just made this up.
    Imagine if you will a thin shortbread base, a mix of carmel (Dulce de Leche) & peanut butter centre and a sponge top.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Weekend baking’ is closed to new replies.