Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • weekend away… good WIFI essential, good riding a bonus… any tips?
  • sheck

Next week I’m planning a couple of days studying. I have some distance learning stuff to, with lots of online videos

Thought I might head somewhere I can get my head down and work 10 hours or so a day, with the personal trade of a good ride, somewhere interesting

Was thinking possibly Snowdonia, as I haven’t ridden there previously and trail centres add a degree of convenience for limited riding windows

But as study is primary objective, WIFI is biggest consideration… any tips

atlaz
    Free Member

Pretty much any hotel these days has it. Just use booking.com and check “free wifi” as an option. Problem is you will never know how GOOD the wifi is until you get there. Best bet, IME, is AirBnB

sheck

Yep, that’s my experience Atlaz… good wifi in reception, but not in bedrooms!

Any personal recommendations?

deadkenny
    Free Member

WiFi included is one thing. WiFi that actually works is another.

Experience of staying in many hotels, B&Bs, lodges etc around Europe and US has been most “free” WiFi is pretty poor. If there are many people there, you’re all competing for bandwidth and get none. Reception only in reception or bar (which isn’t so bad a thing). Small place might be fed off a cheap ADSL connection and in remote places where you go riding that connection is poor (as found recently on a Scottish trip). To top it off, being remote often there’s zero mobile signal especially when the accommodation is tucked away in a valley (Lakes, Scotland, remote bits of Wales. Even Forest of Dean signal sucks).

If you want to upload your trail gnar, I find trail centre cafes tend to have either okay WiFi or a reasonable mobile signal.

If there’s a good mobile signal though I use that in preference to WiFi mostly. Better still now we have (until Brexit) no roaming charges in Europe.

mugsys_m8

Find a co-working space?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘weekend away… good WIFI essential, good riding a bonus… any tips?’ is closed to new replies.