Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Weddings
  • sharki
    Free Member

😀

Fresh gorse and heather bloom..
    The sweet smell of the open trails flowing through the air.

And orchids to emphasise the unique beauty and variety of life.

bigbob38
    Free Member

Emma82, good on you! Do what you want and don’t listen to those YOU don’t want to celebrate with.
    If I did it again (no plans!) I would only invite parents.

I love being married, but hate all the rubbish that goes with getting married.

Enjoy and superb day and a long and happy life together 😀

emma82
    Free Member

Perfect thank you!

Cheers Bob – funny how everyone I speak to thinks the whole wedding circus is over the top and they’d rather not do it but end up doing it anyway 😕

sharki
    Free Member

It’s like xmas, easter, pretty much every other celebration.

It’s all exploited now, putting pressure on the weak minded to seek out a way to falsely maximise the fun.

Cap a limit on expenditure. A maximum list of people you WANT to share it with and stick with it.

It’s very easy, to put two people who matter first than, the others that just want to see you happy on the day.

Get a good clown and a good DJ, and enjoy..

Speak to Jedi, he could give Hertshore up for the ultimate summer biking themed wedding. 😉

warton
    Free Member

MF hotel was feversham arms in helmsley,

Emma, if you want to save big money buy your flowers from your local fruit and veg trade Market and do it yourself, I was amazed how much we saved doing that

TN
    Free Member

Thanks Emma, it was a lovely day.
    I forgot about one thing that almost caused a bit of an upset – when I told mum and dad we’d booked a room above a pub for the evening do dad was concerned there would be no music. I explained that the people who were going in the evening would be as horrified to see a disco there as me and Julian would be, but that the pub had said we could use their audio kit and we were just going to make up some CDs of ‘our’ music.
    I found it really difficult to put my foot down and say no to my parents but it was our day and it really wasn’t our style. I can’t imagine what it must be like when various parents start to try to take over more serious aspects of a bigger, fancier wedding.
    Dad was still wary but after the event he said the music we chose was perfect and he can see how a disco would have been inappropriate. 🙂 (We put in a lot of stuff he liked, which was really not difficult as we share fairly similar tastes, to an extent. Lots of old rock and blues and folk stuff.)

I made the mistake of buying a few wedding mags early on and thinking ‘have I got to do this?’ – you don’t. Do it your way – consider your family but ultimately it is your day, your decision and your choice.
    Whenever you go for it, I hope you have the most fantastic day. 🙂

emma82
    Free Member

Must be a dad thing about the music, mine was the same! We are keeping it to Garden party type theme but he still wants a disco but luckily he has access to some ‘party’ type equipment and lights etc so we are going to use that and mum wants to do us a CD which I can cope with. I want people to be involved but have lost count of the number of ‘no’s we’ve come out with so far!!!

I am not buying wedding magazines – full stop although we are going to see my mum this morning to talk about the wedding and she will no doubt produce 30 that she has already bought!

niallmb
    Free Member

we went for a church service with about 75 guests followed by a buffet for them all then we went for a meal as just us, parents, siblings and grandparents. All in it cost us about 2k and some friendships but it was the day we wanted and relativly stress free

Basil

Hello,
    Just read the thread.
    We were married two years ago after being together ten years. No reason to get wed.
    I like being married, being Mr & Mrs. The wedding was great fun. Sorry to read so many didn’t and aren’t.
    Only been married once but I have learnt that despite the irritation do get lots of pictures. We had a photographer and did the putting out lots of disposable cameras for the guests to use. (yes we did get some “candid” photos!)
    Good luck and have fun.

marsdenman
    Free Member

emma – re the music thing – we did not do the disco thing either. We put disks together to play in the background at night – we made the playlist by asking our guests return their rsvp slip on which MrsMM had the genius idea of putting spaces for them to list their own selection of 3 tunes
    Good
    Bad
    Ugly

Worked well – some went with just listing their 3 favourite tunes, others got into the true sprit of it and we got some real daft suggestions for the ‘bad’ and ‘ugly’ all good fun when played on ‘random’ on the pubs internal system….

emma82
    Free Member

I found my dress 🙂 and I’m slightly drunk from the champagne the shop drip fed us all morning! 🙂 Yayeeeeeeee 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Woo hoo! Good news there. 🙂

slowmedown
    Free Member

Got married nearly 10 years ago, well it’ll be 10 years in May….

Went the whole hog, full on circus, 300+ guests, total cost £500, plus a marquee courtesy of the in laws.

Official ceremony, registry office, with parents and best man/bridesmaids only, gave the rings back to each other as we left to be whisked away in separate cars to the…

Unofficial ceremony, in the Gwydir forest, we both grew up in Betws and chose a place special to us both overlooking Moel Siabod and Llyn Bodgynydd, its on the Marin trail, but before there was a Marin trail. We made eveyone walk in and made the vows we had written, had some poetry, and lots of smiles, this is where I remember really getting married, and made the vows I have not and will continue to ensure I never break. Then headed back to our ramshackle house with huge garden for…

Party in the marquee, 2 days several bands, many DJ’s. We asked everyone not to give presents, but to bring food/booze/music/fun for the party, and asked friends to organise who brought what. The first day of the party was brill, family and friends made for a very funny mix of folk, the second day was friends and select family only and riotous.

Oh and everyone except mrs smd and I were in fancy dress.

For us getting married was about publicly committing ourselves to each other and celebrating our young family (at the time girls were not quite 1 and 3) with our family and friends, and having as much fun as possible.

Great memories, and I love her even more now than I did then.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Getting married in May. Wedding is gonna be a little bigger than we had anticipated but we’re both cool with how it’s turning out. We’re getting married outside (in Scotland!) – is it to early to begin checking the long term weather forecast 😆

emma82
    Free Member

Wow, I just found my thread again! 5 sleeps to go and I have to say it’s all been rather stressful and has changed somewhat from the small affair we originally planned. Should have stuck to some of the advice given above but, I do have a rather modest hangover from the hen do last night and am now looking forward to the big day. Also chuckling at the stream of random questions I’m being text by the best man. Someone is clearly working in their speech…..

allthegear
    Free Member

emma – have an absolutely fabulous day!!

I’m not jealous at all – oh no…

rachel xx

emma82
    Free Member

Cheers Rachel! We have also upgraded the honeymoon – a week in the Alps and a week mooching round France so it’s all good 🙂

xiphon
    Free Member

I had bicycles as the theme to our wedding. Yes, I convinced her.

Even my wedding ring engraving is bike related…

drslow
    Free Member

As long as you planned it the way you want you won’t have any regrets. Enjoy it and once the day starts just let it happen! Congrats.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Weddings’ is closed to new replies.