• This topic has 101 replies, 93 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by ready.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 102 total)
  • Wedding songs: First dance
  • cfinnimore
    Free Member

To escape the banal pressure of menus we’re trying to pick our first dance song.

Swinging between the maudlin “Ladies & Gentlemen we are floating in space” by Spirirtualized and “I want you bad” by The Offspring.

I’ve been to at least three bloody weddings where people chose Hey Ho by the Lumineers, which is a fine song I suppose.

What did you choose?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

We had “How Sweet It Is To Be Loved By You” [sung] by James Taylor.

Felt somewhere between corny and cool which is about where we wanted to be. I’d have it again, but would follow it with JLS’ Everybody In Love as a dance-floor filla.

zippykona

Make it short and easy to dance to.
    Mrs Zip walked up the aisle to Arrival by Abba
    We signed to May you never by John Martin
    First dance was Fly me to the moon by Mr Sinatra

LoCo
    Free Member

I think we had jungle boogie 😀

cfinnimore
    Free Member

We like People are Strange but it won’t happen because she likes The Doors and I like Bunnymen.

Obviously Be My Baby by The Ronettes is near the top of the list.

skink2020

‘A view to a kill’ by Duran Duran makes an outstanding first dance song.
    Trust me.

garage-dweller

Rule 1 no wedding soppy dancing. My rule
    Rule 2 no wedding mosh pit. Her rule
    Result no need for wedding DJ.

njee20
    Free Member

We had You Make my Dreams Come True by Hall & Oates. Went alright. I was shitting myself about dancing. I’ll speak all evening. No dancing.

ElShalimo

“Green Eyes” by Coldplay

sodslaw
    Free Member

Louis Jordan – is you is or is you ain’t my baby

fin25
    Free Member

The knife – Heartbeats (live version)

linky

twiglet_monster
    Free Member

We go Together (from Grease)
    We had a dance routine as well

I suspect there was some cringing
    Tm

nickjb
    Free Member

Come fly with me, pretty much the Frank Sinatra version but sung by the band. Did a proper dance as we didn’t want to do some kind of awkward shuffling from foot to foot.

maccruiskeen

The Gonk

scaredypants

we had a couple of secret lessons & did a quickstep to “let’s face the music and dance” (you know, “there may be trouble ahead” ? 😀 )

alexpalacefan

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2sMuVPMkkk[/video]

Mud. Tiger Feet.
    Wasn’t planned as such but it was the first song the DJ played and it seemed the right thing to do.

APF

Harris
    Free Member

‘What You Do to Me’ by Teenage Fanclub.

jonba
    Free Member

Something personal. My wife and I used to go ballroom dancing at university (as did a fair few of our friends) so we wanted a proper dance. We decide on a waltz because I could remember more of that than anything, had some refresher lesson and did a proper dance. Our maid of honour plays violin and piano at a high level (semi professional) so she did a violin solo of this.

4 years tomorrow…

volatilemike
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5Thn6hZXjY[/video] – You’re welcome.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Thinking it over again, I’d prefer “Fix You” by Coldplay.

Valleyboy123
    Free Member

We’re having You’re the one for me fatty.

rwamartin
    Free Member

Legs – ZZTop
    Lay lady lay – Bob Dylan.
    To drunk to ….. B52s (?)

adsbatts89
    Free Member

We’re planning to have Ramones, ‘Baby I love you’ in September.

MoreCashThanDash

Didn’t have a “do” when we got married, but a couple of friends started married life with AC/DC’s “Ball Breaker”.

Was **** awesome!

Edit: I wanted to have ” A Better Man” by Thunder. Lovely lyrics.

samcamsdad

Well I wanted, love will tear us apart, by joy division! She wasn’t too keen. Can’t think why?
    So we agreed not to have a first dance, as it would just be the two of us shuffling about a bit all embarrassed.
    But, under pressure from both mothers, we were kind of forced in to it at the night do, and in a hurry chose, stand by me by Ben E King. To which we embarrassingly shuffled about a bit, for what felt like the longest two minutes of our lives.

rascal
    Free Member

We had ‘I Love You Baby’ by Andy Williams.
    Not too slushy and we got everyone up with us jumping around…ahhh, good times 🙂
    Not far off a mosh pit on the dancefloor after with a rocky DJ set and live band.
    **** great night that was!

Yak

Good grief – I can’t remember. Well I know it was a Beegees number, but which one..? 😕

Anyway, it was picked at the last minute and probably as the cd had been in the car for a bit.

Kryton57

I’ll speak all evening. No dancing.

Ha Ha likewise. Superman by Robin Thicke. I couldn’t wait to get it over with so I could get stuck into the wine.

mefty
    Free Member

Well I know it was a Beegees number, but which one..?

Tragedy?

Yak

No, the day went well thanks. 8)

Well, good enough anyway. Weddings, and all the faffy detail involved can be a bit of a ballache. Get about 80% right and everyone’s going to have a good time. No-one remembers the 20% cock-ups.

northshoreniall

Songs of love by divine comedy – the theme music of Father Ted – I do get called Dougle on occasion 🙂

matt_bl
    Free Member

adsbatts89 – Member
    We’re planning to have Ramones, ‘Baby I love you’ in September

We did this, worked really well. It has a nice tempo and alot of folk won’t be aware of it.

Matt

LimboJimbo

We had Secret Garden by the Boss, which is a much longer song than you realise with 150 people watching you awkwardly shuffle about. This was followed immediately by Dancing on the Ceiling by Lionel Ritchie, which got everyone off their arses. Great night.

Macgyver

Somewhere beyond the sea by Bobby Darin. But we did get married on a tiny island in the bahamas.

Thought I did alright with the dancing till the father in law took the second dance with my wife and nailed it to Rock around the clock!

We did leave the church to zip a dee do dah by Louis Armstrong though, which is ace 😉

stuey
    Free Member

Shirley …
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NOFTbbJ3vA[/video]

downhilldave

Not first dance but played in church ➡
    Joe Satriani, Always with me always with you.
    Bon Jovi, Thank you for loving me.
    Enya, Wild child.
    Van Halen, 316.
    Had a band for our wedding and the first dance was ➡
    ZZ Top, Gimme all your lovin. 😉

mark90
    Free Member

As a surprise for the missus I had the DJ play the intro to Everything about you by Ugly kid Joe before playing Dido’s Thank you.

the-muffin-man

Bryan Adams – Heaven

…we did get married 25yrs ago though, and he was popular at the time!

whatnobeer
    Free Member

A bit of foreshadowing maybe and Tenacious D’s **** Her Gently? 😉

lunge

We opened up with Either Way by The Twang, then as people joined us on the floor followed it with Rock With You by Michael Jackon and finished with 99 Problems by Jay-Z. The temptation to open with the latter was seriously strong but, mainly for the sake of our parents we decided not too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘Wedding songs: First dance’ is closed to new replies.