Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • webuyanycar(dot com)
  • jon1973
    Free Member

Anyone used them? I have the opportunity to buy a newer car with a good history at a very good price (from family member).

I have a 2003 Hyundai Matrix which I need to get rid of pdq because I don’t want to insure two cars. Tax / MOT up in September and there is a knocking from the rear wheel (possibly the suspension bush). Anyhow, don’t really want to get more tax or reMOT as it’s going to cost me.

Been quoted £600 (including deductions for transaction fee).

I know they check it over, so that value is likely to drop a little.

Interested to see how rigorous they are? The car starts every time, doesn’t blow smoke or anything, and apart from the knocking sound it’s a pretty solid car. Do they drive it?

Am I likely to get stitched up once I’m booked for an appointment? I’d probably be happy with about £500.

Stoner
    Free Member

I know they check it over, so that value is likely to drop a little.

I gather they always chip a fair amount from the quote. I think theyve been called up about it too.

EDIT: http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/apr/01/webuyanycarcom-offers-one-25-price-quoted

The Office of Fair Trading has taken enforcement action against used car buying company webuyanycar.com for misleading online valuations after finding 96% of customers received less for their vehicle than the original quote offered online by the firm, sometimes by hundreds of pounds.

-m-
    Free Member

Apparently yes, their buyers have been on some kind of target/bonus structure linked to how much they can knock down the initial quote by.

EDIT: Just found the same Guardian link about the OFT as above!

jon1973
    Free Member

are you under any obligation if they lower the quote when you take it in?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Surely until you sign something and hand over the v5 you’re not under any obligation?

-m-
    Free Member

Doesn’t sound like it, seems that they rely more on momentum – i.e. you’re there in front of them so you’re going to do a deal.

Stoner
    Free Member

No. none. But the OFT were concerned people might feel pressured to accept an offer because of time pressure. Also a chipped offer is not one that can be compared with others on the same terms at the same time.

EDIT : -m- & stoner, sitting in the tree. K, I , S, S, I, N, G! 😉 jinx!

I_Ache
    Free Member

Just slap it on ebay, I cant believe a 2003 car is only worth £600!

jon1973
    Free Member

Thanks chaps. May give it a try and have a minimum in mind before I go. Prepared to take a bit of a hit for the convenience. My experience of selling older cars is that you get very little interest.

May try Gumtree or local paper first, see if I get any nibbles.

nosemineb
    Free Member

I sold mine to them and they knocked a lot off. 4500 to 3500. I had it on ebay for 5000 ono, with no interest.
    For me though it was still a good deal. 😆 I wont go in to it here!
    You can always walk away and barter a bit with them.
    My test drive consisted of a 2 min 20mph drive around the block.
    I think they get a lot of stick as people generally expect more than their stuff is really worth. Its a business after all.
    Also they took mine off my hands immediatly and bank transfer was done in around 3 days i recall.
    One thing to note is if there are any warning lights on the dash they will knock a big chunk off the price unless you get a mechanics report/quote to fix the problem.
    hth

-m-
    Free Member

EDIT : -m- & stoner, sitting in the tree. K, I , S, S, I, N, G! jinx!

I feel all grubby now.

NigE5
    Free Member

I tried them last june on a honda accord estate 54 plate CDTI offered me £4200 for it, I sold it on auto trader for £5300.

supertramp
    Free Member

Stick it on Ebay, give a nice honest description, set the WBAC quote as your reserve and cross your fingers!

chojin
    Free Member

I’ve just sold my Scirocco for £17000 – just checked on WBAC and they’re offering Just over £14000!!

Um… private sale every time.

Rosss
    Free Member

Tried my granddad’s Skoda felicia 1.9 tdi on there. R reg, perfect condition cosmetically and mechanicaly but 120k on the clock. £50 they offered – Think i’ll try my luck on ebay

clipper68
    Free Member

Just sold my Corsa privately for £850. WBAC offered me £195 and then said if my description wasnt 100% accurate that could reduce by an average of £150. OOOOKay then, so I was going to get £45 was I??

paulosoxo
    Free Member

They buy and sell cars, they’re still in business, so I’d guess that they probably buy them for less than they sell them.

MartynS

Just sold my Corsa privately for £850. WBAC offered me £195 and then said if my description wasnt 100% accurate that could reduce by an average of £150. OOOOKay then, so I was going to get £45 was I??

errrr no… they charge a £49 admin fee so you would have owed them £4!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘webuyanycar(dot com)’ is closed to new replies.