Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Website development help
  • jackthedog
    Free Member

I’m a graphic designer, not a web designer. I come from the time when they were seen as separate disciplines, so generally I like web people to do web stuff and design people to design.

Despite that, I am happy using WordPress as a CMS, and have designed a couple of functioning websites based on it. I’m happy with HTML and CSS. However I’ve only actually ever worked within the WP dashboard, which is nice and easy.

I’ve recently taken on a voluntary project and they’ve asked for a website. I’ve said I can do it, as mostly I can. And as I’m doing it for free they’re okay with me learning on their job.

Previous jobs I’ve had a web person set me up with a WP login and I’ve taken it from there. But as I’m doing this on my own there’s a whole load of things I don’t understand between now and that bit, as I’ve never done it.

I’ve seen those nice straightforward ‘one-touch’ WordPress install hosting deals, but this organisation needs a forum too, so I’m going to need to have access to the gubbins outside of WP so I can install one. Or can I integrate one into the wp page like STW?

‘Gubbins’. See. I don’t even really know how to ask these questions correctly, such is my lack of knowledge.

If I buy a domain and buy hosting on behalf of the client, what happens then? Do I get access to a bunch of directories online somewhere?

What is FTP, for instance? Wiki tells me what it actually is, but not how it relates to me, what I’ll see on my screen, why I need it and where to get it from.

Is there a ‘web for dummies’ site somewhere that explains these fundamental basics? I’m a quick learner, but every time I search for something on Wiki it just throws a load more acronyms at me and before I know it I have 30 pages of research open.

nbt

you can get wordpress plugins to do all sorts of things, ONe of those is a forum, lookat the wordpress site

Mounty_73

File Transfer Protocol (FTP).

Software used to upload and download web content to servers.

Software such as; cuteftp, mozilla ftp etc

http://www.globalscape.com/

jackthedog
    Free Member

you can get wordpress plugins to do all sorts of things, ONe of those is a forum, lookat the wordpress site

I know, but I can’t get wordpress plugins to help me set up a website on which I can install wordpress 🙂

allthegear
    Free Member

Whereabouts are you? I’d be happy to lend a hand and actually teach as I go.

Actually – if the STW web guys are listening, it would be really handy to be able to indicate in our profiles where we live/ride. 💡

Rachel

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve just bought some space and installed a wordpress site so I’ll tell you what I did…

– Bought a URL (the mywebsite.com bit) and some hosting from one.com
    – Downloaded wordpress and a nice template
    – Downloaded and installed Filezilla (This is the FTP bit, basically a way of copying files from your PC to the on-line site)
    – Set-up filezilla using the log-in and password from the hosting company
    – Uploaded wordpress using filezilla
    – Logged in to wordpress on my website and follwoed the instructions, entered the database details supplied by the host company when I bought the space
    – Added the template and started fiddling

I’m a newbie, too, so still learning. Happy to help on here or via email.

nickjb
    Free Member

Actually – if the STW web guys are listening, it would be really handy to be able to indicate in our profiles where we live/ride

There is but you need to fill it in yourself. Yours says ‘I live in that secret mecca of mountain biking that is North West Norfolk. ssssshhh!!’ so I’m suprised you didn’t know 🙂

allthegear
    Free Member

ah – I was meaning something more active – like put in a city/region and then display a map of people. (I will admit to forgetting about the text that I wrote, though – must be a really good secret!! 🙂 )

jackthedog
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice chaps and chapette.

A lurking mate saw the thread and emailed me – I now have someone to hold my hand.

Nickjb – that’s the basic kind of advice I was after, thank you.

DaRC_L

just go here to Killer Sites

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Website development help’ is closed to new replies.