Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Website comments censorship?
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

What is the point of having a comments section of website/web blogs esp bike related if only really positive stuff it retained. I posted something on a a bike related website 'nameless' only to be removed this morning. I ordered a new item which was suddenly out of stock. A new batch is comming and I just put I narrowly missed out on this shipment and the item is on back order.

I can understand if it is slagging the product/manufacturer off but a comment about eagerly waiting for the next shipment seems hardly a reason to remove my comment. So it this happens everywhere then surely not much point if you are only ever going to keep uber positive comments? Maybe I am being naieve?

IanMunro
    Free Member

I had the same thing on the aximinster website. Placed a damming, but fair review of one of their products, never appeared. Just struck them from the list of people I'd buy stuff from.

chakaping
    Free Member

You've censored the name of the site out of your post here.

That makes you just as bad as them.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I didn't censor it I just didn't want to mention it – surely if I censored it I would have posted it then removed it 😉 I wasn't tring to slag a particular website off it just got me thinking of all the other sites that are probably doing the same? Just a bit dishonest?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I delete stupid or offensive comments if posted on the Bog Trotters site without compunction

foxyrider
    Free Member

Fair enough removing irrelevent or offensive stuff but honest & genuine stuff? Oh well 🙁

thepodge
    Free Member

Was your post actually published? Often comments need to be approved before they appear

cynic-al
    Free Member

Even your own?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Was your post actually published? Often comments need to be approved before they appear

Yup there last night 🙂

Cynical – ?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I delete stupid or offensive comments if posted on the Bog Trotters site without compunction.

So you only allow guilt-ridden comments? Weird…

foxyrider
    Free Member

Ooops 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

I didn't censor it I just didn't want to mention it – surely if I censored it I would have posted it then removed it

Self-censorship is the most insidious kind. Trust me.

😉

foxyrider
    Free Member

Well all censor what we say to a degree in life except for some members on here 😉

I was looking to buy a new rear light recently and was quite surprised to find that even Halfords don't censor negative reviews on their website.
    Example 1
    Example 2

foxyrider
    Free Member

I feel that negative feedback is very usefull in ironing out any problems with the product – good to see 🙂

MSP

iirc mtbr.com was caught red handed a few years back, editing and removing negative comments and then denying it (but proven thanks to google cache). makes the reviews on there next to worthless IMO.

soobalias
    Free Member

if there are only positive comments about a product, you know the seller is treating you like a dumb fluffy bunny.

list the positive and negative comments side by side and let me make my owne mind up.
    while some retaillers will be happy to take this honest approach, some, and one guy in particular springs to mind, would claim to be doing so, but lying.

then that is the beauty of a site like this – a recent tyre thread showed both positive and negative comments and from the info you can make up your own mind

cookeaa

Look at it the other way, where’s the benefit for any business in effectively publishing criticism of themselves, when they have complete control over the means of publication…

A strongly worded letter/email to customer services might actually get you somewhere, posting a bad review is simply an excuse to share a whinge with the apathetic masses, you never honestly expected any action did you?

As for web “Censorship”; Well STW is the home of the deleted naughty word and prevention of “Hurt Feelings” it’s all bollocks, I say post what you like if it gets removed then it get’s removed, only whiney girls actually care about anything typed on the interweb, Long Live Jan Moir!

foxyrider
    Free Member

🙄

coffeeking
    Free Member

It's a commercial site. Why would they advertise their negatives? Maybe they disagree with the commenters thoughts – commenter makes a stupid comment, shop thinks it's unfair and removes it.

hels
    Free Member

You mean there is stuff posted on the internet that isn't sincere, factual and posted with the best of motives ? You shock me…

And manufaucturers don't allow people to say bad things about their products, and neither do the websites that survive on their advertising revenues ? I am horrified and apalled and writing to my MP immediately…

Dirtynap
    Free Member

They have to censor bad language, and try to ensure the product reviews aren't just random junk. CRC has many reviews that tell you the product is junk.

Anyway with regards to your review foxyrider, I agree it should be removed and here is why,
    "Eagerly awaiting next shipment"

Can I ask you what the hell that tells any prospective buyer about the product? nothing
    Is it written by someone who owns the product? No

What that review tells me is that someone wants the product, but has no personal experience of the product. Hence it should not be a review should it?
    Whinge all you want but the fact remains its not a product review; it wasn't censored it was removed becuase its a throw away comment with absolutly no value.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Wow – thats a nasty responce Dirtynap .

My comment was innocent, positive but obviously was waiting for the next shipment. I have it on back order and have paid for it actually!! I have also 2 products by the manufacturer and up until now was very postitive about their brand.

Anyway with regards to your review foxyrider

BTW this is not a review section it a COMMENT section damn it !

Dirtynap
    Free Member

Do you really think retailers have comments sections under each product so people and just post random words?
    Maybe this retailer does, I don't know because you didn't say who it was.

Sorry to come over nasty, but I really hate going to websites and ready reviews/comments about products that are useless and have nothing to do with how the product performs. Your comment/review is one of them, and I'm glad it got removed. When you get the product I hope you leave a comment/review that will aid other potential buyers.

foxyrider
    Free Member

people and just post random words

Erm not random it was a sentence, I can write!

I must say it is a comment section about a new product which has only just come on sale so only a few people could possibly own one at the moment. My friend posted a comment about how lovely the product looked and we both had two of their products already. His was kept. Mine was removed. I was saying I loved the item and have ordered one as I could not afford the more expensive version. I was just gutted I missed the boat and I was eagerly awaiting the new product. I had hoped to tell other POTENTIAL buyers that new stock it on its way !! 🙄

coffeeking
    Free Member

I have to agree with Dirtynap – I hate it when people just have to add a comment rather than something useful, or base it on something that their friend told them about a product they never even touched.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I hate it when people just have to add a comment rather than something useful, or base it on something that their friend told them about a product they never even touched.

BUT IT WAS NOT A REVIEW IT WAS A COMMENT ABOUT THE NEW PRODUCT THAT IS SO NEW NO ONE HAS REALLY GOT ONE YET!!!!

It was a comment section for general comments about the new procuct i.e. for people to say ooooh nice or errr horrible.

I agree putting in ane stuff on a review about heresay or a procuct you haven't used it a bit useless but a general comments section on a blog? Really !!!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Website comments censorship?’ is closed to new replies.