Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • weather's changing… new hat recommendations Please
  • daftvader
    Free Member

Evening….

As the weather is on the move to the wetter time of year and I work outside I need a new hat…. baseball style (keeps the rain of my glasses) Waterproof and very breathable.. What’s the STW recommendations???
    Cheers

somafunk

Prob not exactly the sort of thing you described but i recently bought one of these traditional cut Swrve winter cycling caps in Gore Windstopper fabric, i choose the orange one and it’s a nice deep colour. It was chucking it down on the 4 mile cycle to work t’day and it kept my head dry and the rain off my cycling glasses, being Gore Windstopper i imagine it’s pretty breathable as well.

chip
    Free Member

Jack pyke do waterproof baseball caps, I had one with flappy ears.
    But I think they only come in English oak camo

Trekster

Lots of Yoofs wearing various head garments even now! Why?

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Tilley -Pricey but last forever and less gadgie-looking thn baseball chavhat

CountZero

Wax cotton Tilly hat FTW. Much betterer than a baseball hat, it’ll help stop rain running down the back of your neck.
    And has a replacement guarantee.

CraigW
    Free Member

For really wet weather, a Helly Hansen Souwester works nicely. Very waterproof, and keeps the rain off your neck as well. Though not exactly breathable.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Tilley hats are great!

My missus found a Goretex cap at the local op shop for a couple of bucks. Yeah it’s waterproof but makes your head sweat and it’s bright orange. OK for the Dutch I guess.

user-removed
    Free Member

Bought my father in law a Goretex Beretta shooting cap for his Christmas last year. Very low key baseball cap style thing designed to keep the rain off your head and the sun / sweat out of your eyes.

I see they’re now only available in the US but it’s worth paying the postage – he wears it on every shoot.

daftvader
    Free Member

Somafunk… Not enough peak for me might have one for the bike tho…
    Chip… I’m delivering post not hunting wabbits!! 😆 plus flappy ears don’t work for me
    Tilley and sowesters no use… I got me a tarp hat but it’s a summer hat really, tend to blow off in too much wind!!
    User removed… Good call will check that out
    Keep me comming!
    Cheers

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I love my Tiley.

My mates took the P when they saw it on me until they wore it and they suddenly realised what it was about.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Boonie with under chin cord…

(There’s lots of Tilley’s tbh and if you get one that fits, it probably won’t blow off in a breeze)

Cougar

I got a Tilly.

I read the blurb about how they’re supposed to slop about on your head, tried them on, thought, blow that, and got one that fit. It’s ace.

daftvader
    Free Member

Even Tilley hats blow off in a winter storm… Plus they are £70 which is a bit much for work. Baseball caps are the thing for me…. Just want a good waterproof and breathable one

teasel
    Free Member

Check out the Montane offerings. I have the shitty-named Robo Cap and it has a DWR coating that after quite a few washes has proved very durable, though the small mesh vents will obviously let in water. The Pace is their waterproof version but I haven’t used it so can’t comment.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘weather's changing… new hat recommendations Please’ is closed to new replies.