Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Weather says 41mph winds tomorrow… should.I commute?
  • chilled76
    Free Member

That seems a lot, is it dangerous riding in winds at 40mph+ ?

At what point would you pull the car out?

epicsteve
    Free Member

I think tomorrow is a WFH day!

zippykona

Tomorrow would seem like a good day.

ton

rode in 60mph winds yesterday. was tough, but ace coming home.

TheGingerOne

Only you can decide what you are comfortable doing. What is ‘safe’ for one person is not necessarily safe for another.

hooli

Should be a few KOM’s up for grabs tomorrow 😉

prawny

Depends on your route, I rode to work on Wednesday and it was 45-50mph. But I have a safer route for when it’s windy.

I wouldn’t ride my normal route in a strong wind that was coming from anything other than directly north or south.

Forecast for me is 45mph crosswind and heavy snow at 7am, might take the train, tonight wasn’t much fun and it was only 20s and heavy snow.

chilled76
    Free Member

Taking the mtb instead the road bike for stability.

Wish me luck!

flowerpower
    Free Member

High winds here (Scotland) on Wednesday, so I decided to drive… a lorry blew over on the Forth Road Bridge and the whole area was grid locked, Took 2.5 hours to travel 16 miles in the car… wished I’d riden in instead 🙁

Good luck.

BenjiM

Just ridden in (Preston, Lancs) 5.7 miles of headwind and snow. Took the MTB as the cross bike had a flat. Couldn’t find mudguard for MTB (wet arse) and the chill is something else! Not the quickest commute ever. Getting feeling back in me bits.

Evidence! Linky!

Time to go and test some cheese!

D0NK

slush and gales I jibbed out 🙁

chilled76
    Free Member

I tool the mountain bike and was only 4 minutes slower than when on my road bike. Think the wind was with me for most if it 🙂

pdw
    Free Member

The wind is often not nearly as bad as it sounds. Have you ever noticed how the beeb never forecast winds between 30 and 40mph? It’s because once the maximum gust speed gets above 40mph, they start showing that instead of average wind speed so there’s a big jump in the number for little change in wind. Also, wind is quoted for 10m above ground level. Unless you’re somewhere very exposed, you’re unlikely to see anything like that.

milky1980
    Free Member

I chickened out today and took the car as it was making the trees swing on my estate, 5am commute in freezing temps too made me reach for he car keys. As soon as I got out of the estate it was clam and fine, just chilly 😕

Not looking forward to the journey home as it’ll be across town in rush hour, usually a guaranteed 45 mins where the bike takes 20 tops 👿

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Thinking about fitting fat wheels on my Wazoo today for the first time in months, these predicted 30-40mph gusts might give me a feel for how riding a roadie disc wheel would be! 😆

ton

wind was pretty cold this morning. frozen slush on paths was a bit arse tightening……….but no drama’s 8)

prawny

I rode in in the end, forecast had changed to lighter winds and no snow, they lied.

It was terrifying at times, on a steep angled roadie with keo pedals.

No major issues though.

votchy
    Free Member

Surely common sense should prevail when weather conditions are adverse…

prawny

@votchy, but how do you find the limits unless you push them 😆 😳

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Weather says 41mph winds tomorrow… should.I commute?’ is closed to new replies.