Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • weather nerds – which wifi weather station.
  • jam-bo

I want a home weather station. at the moment, the netatmo is front runner due to the web/iphone integration.

any other suggestions?

I’d like a rain gauge, wind speed/direction would be nice but not crucial. Ideally under £200.

hot_fiat

afaik netatmo doesn’t do actual local wind speed.

I had an elecsa (same as some of the oregon scinetific units) but its wireless sender which relayed outside temp, anemometer and rain gauge info was really unreliable. Being mounted on the end of a 3m pole on the chimney stack made troubleshooting a proper PITA.

The tipping bucket rain gauges are also prone to being spider-infested and so stop working after a few months. Besides, you can tell when it’s raining quite easily, unless you live in a bunker.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

There’s a HEAP of weather apps and widgets that will tell you this info. The Gadget show reviewed a couple (I think the Netatmo one?) and found them to be innacurate.

You should be able to get a reasonably accurate report as there’s a fair few “local” weather stations (Wolverhampton Weather station was my local) brings up a browser based info screen streaming from someone’s (probably quite expensive) station so I’m sure others would do the same for your area.

Stoner
    Free Member

stay away from Skyview and the Technoline range they sell.

Sender unit failed in <3yrs and wouldnt entertain a warranty request only saying that it was a “consumable” item with only a 1 yr warranty.

Any Co. that sells £100+ solid state electronics and think they’re consumable are not a Co. worth dealing with IMO.

jam-bo

Rain gauge is of interest for kayaking. nearest rain gauge is 10 miles and 350m higher than me.

netatmo still in the lead.

cranberry
    Free Member

afaik netatmo doesn’t do actual local wind speed.

True.

I’ve had one since they came out and I am happy with it – they are pretty much fit and forget, apart from battery changes. That said, I don’t have a rain gauge as I live in an apartment.

jam-bo

according the netatmo forums the wind speed sensor is in development.

just trying to find one for a good price now.

cranberry
    Free Member

I checked my email – I haven’t been offered a discount code from Netatmo since Father’s Day.

If you sign up for their newsletter you might well save a few quid on a purchase by getting a discount code.

daveh
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these which I use with this software, including FTPing up to a website. Cheap and cheerful. I’ve just replaced the main sender unit after 2 years for the princely sum of £15. The other ‘sensors’ are even cheaper.

jam-bo

I would need to run a computer all the time though. I don’t.

Tiger6791

I live 5 miles from Heathrow.

I just use theirs and I assume it’s a pretty good one 🙂

hot_fiat

Daveh – that’s identical to mine. Where can you get parts for it?

daveh
    Free Member

I would need to run a computer all the time though. I don’t.

Well that’s true, it only updates to the web when the PC is on. Not such a biggy for me that, the web bit was just a ‘see if I can’ add-on.

Daveh – that’s identical to mine. Where can you get parts for it?

Maplin. Thought about buying a complete spare set of everything for £30odd pound incase the spares thing is fleeting.

fannybaws
    Free Member

that setup ^^^ looks good.

anyone found anything similar that can run on a NAS box?

jam-bo

Got excited this morning as the Netatmo one appeared in the Amazon Lightning deal list. Was still more than you can get them on eBay for though.

hot_fiat

Have you seen the one in lidl this week?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘weather nerds – which wifi weather station.’ is closed to new replies.