Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 180 total)
  • Wearing A Tie At Work.
  • ?They serve no purpose other than to show off to other people

Or, in the context of a business meeting, it could show that you care enough to make a bit of an effort. Same reason you might wear a tie to a funeral or a wedding – to show a bit of respect.

Cougar

it could show that you care enough to make a bit of an effort.

… which is what I said, you’re showing off for the benefit of other people. (-:

I’m not arguing against ever wearing shirt and tie. I’m just arguing against their daily, mandatory wear. I’d always go suited and booted for a job interview, say, or to a new client meeting.

Hm, conclusion: if you’re wearing a business suit, you’re in the business of persuading people?

Hm, conclusion: if you’re wearing a business suit, you’re in the business of persuading people?

Or if you wnat people to believe you are a “technical expert”, always have a couple of pens in your shirt pocket. 😀

peterfile
    Free Member

which is what I said, you’re showing off for the benefit of other people.

Cougar, do you stick a tie on at funeral, or do you think that’s showing off?

rickon
    Free Member

And if you’re an engineer, a pencil behind your ear.

rickon
    Free Member

They serve no purpose other than to show off to other people. My boss is 250 miles away, customers do not visit this office, who am I looking good for? The Sales team? Wow, you managed to tie a knot this morning, well done, have a biscuit, keep this up and you’ll be progressing to shoes with laces next.
    They get in the way. Day to day I’m as likely to be crawling round under a desk patching cables as I am to be attending a senior staff meeting; a long strip of cloth tied in a slip-knot around my throat and flapping about the place is flat out dangerous.
    This may be fixable by throwing money at the problem, but dress shirts do not fit me. What sort of a retarded way of buying shirts is “collar size” anyway? I’m a skinny little runt with a neck that’s received years of abuse in rock clubs; if I buy a shirt with a correctly fitting collar then there’s enough surplus shirt material billowing in the wind to make me look like a yacht. No doubt I could go to that Charles Whatshisname place you lot all favour and get a couple of weeks’ worth of fitted shirts, but I’m not about to spend several hundred quid on posh shirts for me to wear whilst halfway up a ladder with my head in the plenum.
    I can’t wear long sleeves for any length of time. My hands suffer from hyperhidrosis, meaning that they’re prone to sweating excessively. It used to be a massive problem when I was younger – putting my hands together to say the Lord’s Prayer at school, sweat would be dripping off my elbows by ‘Amen’ – I’ve largely grown out of it as an adult, but close coverings on my wrists and forearms make it kick off. I’m sure nothing says “classy” quite like a suit with yellowing cuff edges, whilst I mess about with electronics with wet hands.

What you’re saying is – ties are not for everyone, and they are appropriate in some situations for most people.

I agree. 🙂

nickjb
    Free Member

do you stick a tie on at funeral

I don’t. I can’t see how dressing as a bank manager is respectful or in any way celebrates someone’s life.

I also made it pretty clear that sort of attire was not required at my wedding. I think some people put more thought into what they would wear because of that. That meant we got some great pics of our friends and family dressed in some great outfits.

boltonjon

Yep – i wear one through choice and make all of my 11 engineers wear one in the office too

It is not a dress code throughout the company, but i think it shows a higher level of professionalism

They are all happy to conform – if they forget their tie, then i make them wear the nasty yellow one i keep in the drawer – stains and all 🙂

peterfile
    Free Member

I can’t see how dressing as a bank manager is respectful or in any way celebrates someone’s life.

It is about respect though, but respect isn’t based on your own opinion.

In your view, people who wear ties look like bank managers. However, that view isn’t held by everyone and perhaps not by those at the funeral. At a recent family funeral a close friend of the family, who we never see in anything other than shorts, wore a suit and tie. To me, this was unnecessary, but my family noticed and were grateful that he had made a special effort on a day that was so important to them.

In work, someone else has spent a long time creating that business, along with the image and reputation it enjoys. If the person who employed you says that you should dress appropriately to continue that reputation, by refusing you’re being a bit disrespectful IMO. If you don’t agree with how they do things, you’d probably be better off working elsewhere.

the grey area is obviously when you asked to wear business dress when it makes no difference at all (e.g. sat in your office all day without meeting any clients). On those days I stick on pretty casual clothes, but as soon as I need to be out and about I’ll stick my suit on. I don’t want me or the company to be perceived in a negative light by the client, it’s not my judgment call to make since it’s not my business.

If it bothered me doing it their way, I’d have to suck it up or set up my own business where the policy was to not dress smartly when meeting people who will be paying your bills.

Junkyard
    Free Member

respect isn’t based on your own opinion.

We know its based on your opinion 😉
    I assume most of us would wear it when it mattered what we are saying it is it rarely matters and most of it is traditon/expectation rather than any actual need as it does not affect how one does a job

As for funerals I tend to wear my kilt with a Gilly shirt so no tie is needed , I assume I have shown enough respect despite the absence of a tie

DezB
    Free Member

Not sure what funerals have to do with a “Wear a Tie at Work” thread, but anyway, at my great Aunt’s funeral, I just wore a black shirt, no tie. I was a pall bearer too. I’m pretty sure none of my family thought I was disrespectful! Pretty certain a few of them thought “I wish I hadn’t worn this tie” though 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

I tend to wear my kilt

#strangest

Northwind

molgrips – Member

The vast majority of people don’t. But there are enough idiots who think making an effort with your clothes is more important than with your work to make it a safe bet.

Sure, but… This depends on your business. Sometimes the sort of person that’s impressed by suits and boots isn’t the sort of person you actually want to have anything to do with. Frinstance, my brother’s in av/light and sound, he used to suit up for pre-contract meetings, his unscientific findings is that it does make a difference in landing business but the extra business it lands is mostly bellends who put style over substance and will end up being bad customers.

Unrelated; my boss is angling for higher management and is definitely putting in a bit more effort these days. He’s got a new line in waistcoats which I have to admit are as sharp as **** and really suit him, and would work brilliantly… But as it is, in this post-Mumford and Sons world, it makes him hard to take seriously because everytime he talks you can’t help but wait for the banjos to kick in after the fourth sentence.

bikebouy
    Free Member

^^ Does he read Beta Male 😉

JulianA
    Free Member

Of course a tie can get in the way when you’re crawling around under a desk fixing cables and stuff – that’s a very good time to be wearing a bow tie (tied, of course: none of that clip-on rubbish).

Cougar

Of course a tie can get in the way when you’re crawling around under a desk fixing cables and stuff – that’s a very good time to be wearing a bow tie (tied, of course: none of that clip-on rubbish)

What are you wearing that with? Nice expensive trousers to be on your hands and knees in?

timc
    Free Member

funny this thread, just wear a tie you scruff

bikebouy
    Free Member

What are you wearing that with? String Vest, Leather Lederhosen, Jack Boots, Trillby, to be on your hands and knees in?

FIFY

MrOvershoot

Not a problem at work for me as ties are banned, as is any of your own clothing as an outer layer.
    Best thing ever IMO all my work kit gets laundered for me too 😀

rickon
    Free Member

My boss…. He’s got a new line in waistcoats which I have to admit are as sharp as **** and really suit him, and would work brilliantly

Am I your boss?

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 180 total)

The topic ‘Wearing A Tie At Work.’ is closed to new replies.